Official NBA Off-Season Thread. New 2012-2013 Thread Has Been Made. Please Post In There

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by leemelone

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

So the guy who says "I lost the drive to compete because I didn't take enough time to party it up" is just as competitive as anyone in the league. Anyone else would have got murdered by ESPN but for some reason the media let's this guy and Big Ben slide.
So Dirk isn't a competitor, but he's the first guy to take two teams to the Finals and win one without another legitimate star since... When?
The dude didn't need to run to another superstar to win a title. Didn't need to piss and moan, quit in a playoff game because he was upset, and demand a trade because he couldn't win without another star by him, but he's not an elite competitor. Got it. 

That's my last post about Dirk. 

Dude...the guy said it himself. "I'm not a competitor right now". That's what my whole argument is based on. You can try to make a case whether Kobe did or did not quit in the second half of a game where his team was already getting blown out but Dirk actually did STOP PLAYING and take games off in the middle of the season for CONDITIONING while Kobe is getting shot up with drugs to play with an injury on his good hand when Carmelo and Luol Deng missed weeks with the same injury to their OFF hand so he could carry a team with statistically the worst starting point guard, small forward (a guy whose own coach said wouldn't get any playing time AT ALL if it was based on stats) and the worst bench all while leading the league in scoring until the last day of the season and carrying his team to a 3 seed after already having not just one but FIVE rings. That's what you call an elite competitor. I'm glad we're both done talking about this Dirk character.

But

Mavs-sweeping-Lakers.jpg

Should the Nets retain Deron Williams — and it appears that this deal does not hinge on that guarantee — Johnson and Williams would become one of the more devastating two-man wing combos in the NBA. Johnson removes an enormous scoring load from Deron Williams and Brook Lopez, allowing both to flourish if Avery Johnson can utilize all three as a collective unit. There are numerous creative offensive sets you can mold around the skills of these three — a Williams/Johnson high wing pick-and-pop/roll, a two-man game with Williams & Lopez with Johnson lurking in the corner or on the opposite wing, and playing Williams off the ball in spot possessions to give Johnson the opportunity to create are a few examples. It should be noted that Johnson is a far superior shooter on the right side of the floor than the left, and Brook Lopez is a much better scorer on the right block than the left. If coach Johnson does his homework, expect a consistent two-man game between Johnson and Lopez on the right side in Brooklyn.

http://netsarescorching.com/2012/07/02/joe-johnson-brooklyn-nets/
If DWill comes back,  this should be a fun team to watch. I think the pieces fit well. 

So the season is only 4 months away? 

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Buc Em

Oh.

Brook Lopez just turned 24, has career averages of 17 points 8 boards and 2 blocks a game to go along with 80 % free throw shooting and 50 fg %.

I think he'll be just fine with Crash and Hump attacking the glass.

And who's the third best SG in the league?.....do not tell me James Harden, Manu or Eric Gordon.

* looks at sig....sees DALLAS MAVERICKS *

I get it now.
If you were referring to me, it's got nothing to do with me being a Mavs fan. I'm just questioning how you can even seriously say Brook Lopez is a top 5 center 
roll.gif
. I'm not saying Joe Johnson is just trash and straight up useless but he's not 3rd best SG in the league. 
Kris Humphries: sure give him credit for taking advantage of getting starter minutes but dude is not the 4 for a real contender. At best, that hypothetical Nets roster of D-Will, Johnson, Wallace, Humphries and Lopez is a 45 win team; maaaaaaaaaaaaybe a 50 win if they just ball out of control and overachieve. I truly don't mean to be insulting here but I'm starting to get the sense you're looking at this Nets core like you're building a Yahoo-league fantasy basketball team
laugh.gif

These centers I would all pick over your beloved Brook Lopez in no particular order: D12, Tyson Chandler, Bynum, Demarcus Cousins, Gortat, Joakim Noah, Roy Hibbert, Greg Monroe, Marcus Camby, Tim Duncan, Marc Gasol. That's over 10 centers I thought off the top of my head that are no question better than Brook Lopez. Top 5? 
laugh.gif
eek.gif

I'll give you that he is an 80% FT shooter but 50% shooting and 2 blocks a game is and should be pretty standard for a legit center. 8 reb a gm is also nothing to brag about. Gerald Wallace can get you 8 reb as a SF/PF. 

And you'll notice that I didn't name Brandan Haywood or Ian Mahinmi so there's no Dallas Mavericks bias that you're implying 
grin.gif
eyes.gif

Honestly, there's pros and cons to D-Will going to either Nets or Mavs. 

Mavs have the proven track record of winning consistently (I say consistently as being a playoff contender year in and year out; don't get it twisted and think I'm saying they have a track record of winning championships b/c I'm not) and a front office (Donnie Nelson and Mark Cuban) that's shown it's dedicated and been successful at putting together a competitive team. They have Dirk a HOFer. 

Their cons are that Dirk is old, Dallas hasn't been a destination spot for free agents and it remains to be seen if Donnie Nelson and Cuban can sustain the same level of success once Dirk retires. 

Nets: They got the whole Brooklyn excitement along with the hype of Jay-Z and it's big media market so naturally it should be a destination market for free agents. If they can assemble a team similar to how the Heat did it, there's no question why it would be alluring.

Their cons are that they have no history and no track record of success. I guess that could also be an attraction: the chance to blaze a path and be a pioneer but is it worth passing up opportunity to team up with a HOFer like Dirk? And they've really put themselves in a corner pulling off this Joe Johnson deal. A core of D-Will, D12 and Gerald Wallace is a lot more promising than one with Joe Johnson substituted for D12 and you'd have to be a dummy if you can't see that. 

The NBA is an evil business, I wouldn't be completely surprised to see Deron blindside everybody and sign with the Mavs. Why he would do it to play with a retirement home roster of players and Roddy Beabouis would be a damn good question though.

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

So Dirk isn't a competitor, but he's the first guy to take two teams to the Finals and win one without another legitimate star since... When?
The dude didn't need to run to another superstar to win a title. Didn't need to piss and moan, quit in a playoff game because he was upset, and demand a trade because he couldn't win without another star by him, but he's not an elite competitor. Got it. 

That's my last post about Dirk. 

Dude...the guy said it himself. "I'm not a competitor right now". That's what my whole argument is based on. You can try to make a case whether Kobe did or did not quit in the second half of a game where his team was already getting blown out but Dirk actually did STOP PLAYING and take games off in the middle of the season for CONDITIONING while Kobe is getting shot up with drugs to play with an injury on his good hand when Carmelo and Luol Deng missed weeks with the same injury to their OFF hand so he could carry a team with statistically the worst starting point guard, small forward (a guy whose own coach said wouldn't get any playing time AT ALL if it was based on stats) and the worst bench all while leading the league in scoring until the last day of the season and carrying his team to a 3 seed after already having not just one but FIVE rings. That's what you call an elite competitor. I'm glad we're both done talking about this Dirk character.

But

Mavs-sweeping-Lakers.jpg
How you gonna mock him about LAL being swept last year when your team got swept in the very same season your star player said he was not motivated enough to win?

How about you bring up Deron Williams having to forego ~$28M to sign with the Mavs and not Jay-Z?

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

But

Mavs-sweeping-Lakers.jpg
How you gonna mock him about LAL being swept last year when your team got swept in the very same season your star player said he was not motivated enough to win?

Because if Kobe was that damn great he would have never been swept by Dirk blown off the $%$##!* court in Game 4.

But

Mavs-sweeping-Lakers.jpg
Because if Kobe was that damn great he would have never been swept by Dirk blown off the $%$##!* court in Game 4.
This aint even about Kobe though. It'd be easy to go down the list and just state all of Dirk's failures where his team got beat and say if he was a true competitor he wouldn't have let that happen.

Buc em- Did you watch any of the playoffs? Your hate for Miami has gone from funny to alarming, you need help. You really believe Crash can guard Lebron lol or provides an "interesting matchup" for him? The Heat could sign Yinka Dare to play center, NO ONE in the East is beating them, believe dat playboy (Birdman voice).

Originally Posted by HankMoody

How about you bring up Deron Williams having to forego ~$28M to sign with the Mavs and not Jay-Z?

Because he isn't giving up 28 million, he's simply only giving up a guaranteed 5th year.

If he stays healthy the money will be more in Dallas because their isn't a state or city income tax.

Whatever dollar amount Deron can sign for in Brooklyn take 10% off it.

This aint even about Kobe though. It'd be easy to go down the list and just state all of Dirk's failures where his team got beat and say if he was a true competitor he wouldn't have let that happen.

I wasn't arguing that.

The point is all greats get popped sometimes.

#!$! happens and if you look at the talent on paper that Dirk has had around him I don't see how you can knock him what happened this year.

That Hollinger article PMatic posted about a new Big 3 potentially forming in Atlanta is very interesting.

We shall see.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

laugh.gif
 people are really counting out the Nets.
No one in the East seems to be threat outside of Miami with the current structure (if Deron re-signs). No one is beating the Heat anyways, but I'm talking about the team that will meet them in the ECF. Boston has a chance, but thats pending other FA deals. Indiana is about to lose their all-star center. Bulls are pretty much done in terms of contending. Philly are more than likely going to make a drastic change and move Iguodala. 

The Nets will be a top 4 team if they are able to keep Lopez and re-sign Dwill. 

u

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Because he isn't giving up 28 million, he's simply only giving up a guaranteed 5th year.

If he stays healthy the money will be more in Dallas because their isn't a state or city income tax.

Whatever dollar amount Deron can sign for in Brooklyn take 10% off it.
Source for the 10% figure?
 If he stays healthy? This could be his last big payday. $!!+ happens, in case you forgot. 

Originally Posted by quik1987

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

laugh.gif
 people are really counting out the Nets.
No one in the East seems to be threat outside of Miami with the current structure (if Deron re-signs). No one is beating the Heat anyways, but I'm talking about the team that will meet them in the ECF. Boston has a chance, but thats pending other FA deals. Indiana is about to lose their all-star center. Bulls are pretty much done in terms of contending. Philly are more than likely going to make a drastic change and move Iguodala. 

The Nets will be a top 4 team if they are able to keep Lopez and re-sign Dwill. 

u
That isn't really far fectched...

If the Mavs lose out, they SHOULDN'T panic and sign a bunch of guys to huge deals.

The Nets would be foolish to re-sign both Hump and Lopez. That would only further kill their financial flexibility and continue to be a decent Playoff team for the rest of their time. You've got to contend. You aren't doing that with JJ, Deron, Crash, Humphries, and Lopez.

Also, JJ is just lucky that a lot of these combo-PGs aren't counted as SGs, because really that's what Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose are.

And NaS, that would be so awesome if Mo Williams full name was on his jersey.
roll.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom