Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

i got them here

but they're also availabe http://shop.bdgastore.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/m998dbr

http://www.thepremierstore.com/footwear/new-balance/998-distinct-mid-century-modern-pid-27871
These will be 50% on labor day lol.
probably 
embarassed.gif

one day i'll curb my impulse buying habits 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I think he just means the folding tag in the eyelet... If not, I never got a booklet either
This.
I just got the made in America tag, not the folding tag. Checked some unboxing videos on YouTube and they all seem to have the folding tag.

How

How do you tell a fake 997? For a model so intricately detailed you would think the counterfeit agents wouldn't bother
the 997 has a visible 2-piece midsole.  you should be able to see or feel the break in the middle of the midsole where the 2 soles combine.  for both 997/998 the shape is a big one.  not only do the fakes look bulky, but the toes flare upwards.  the suede and plastic panels on the collar look fat on the fakes and not slim/sleek and long like on the authentic.  NBs have widow's peak only on the heel part of their shoes... never on the front/toe area.   suede materials (pigskin suede vs synthetic suede).  the big N on the fakes... i've seen various issues... like not italicized enough, the size, color, etc...  also the craftsmanship is a big one.  you can see the asian suffering in the craftsmanship of the fakes.  uneven stitching, poor materials, incorrect panel sizes, etc. 

A description a couple of posts before sounded vaguely racist but meh.
I've never bought NB on ebay but I got the 998CSB for $147 incl. tax from Social Status in Raleigh while spending my holidays in the US. Awesome pair of shoes even though they don't seem to be that popular in here. So if the seller is legit  I would recommend getting them for that price, they're definitely worth it.
Ahh Yeah I got my CM1600SS from them. Shipping was a ***** though hahaha so I think eBay is my best bet. One man's trash and all that.

I feel that with the rise in popularity of New Balance as a brand we should perhaps have a general list of what to look out for in fakes, especially since the made in usa/UK ones can fetch a pretty penny. I'll be willing to compile it but I'll need info from you guys.

Does anyone think the 997 JNB have hit the outlets yet?  I'm heading to the outlets this weekend, but I see a pretty good deal for that shoe in my size.  Dont want to pass it up if the outlets dont have it. 

Does anyone think the 997 JNB have hit the outlets yet?  I'm heading to the outlets this weekend, but I see a pretty good deal for that shoe in my size.  Dont want to pass it up if the outlets dont have it. 
Seen them in the outlets but forget the price tag. I am pretty sure UO sale was cheaper at the time.

NEED SOME HELP! who is familiar with fake tannery 998's...im suspicous that i may have purchased a pair...ill explain.

the tpu piece on the side and the eyestay are slightly translucent, the new balance tag is attached with a plastic loop thread instead of a straight piece. The box interior is not the same material on the inside as the outside ( it is a lighter shade and the material from the outside is folded over the edges (not like my other red cncpts boxes). The size tag has a printed checkmark under the size (10, if that helps at all) instead of a hand-written mark over it. The box contained a plastic bag, the shoes werent inside it, but they probably should have been as the inside of the box seems to have transferred some color onto some parts of the shoes...so are these replicas?

i can provide pics if anyone wants to see.

NEED SOME HELP! who is familiar with fake tannery 998's...im suspicous that i may have purchased a pair...ill explain.
the tpu piece on the side and the eyestay are slightly translucent, the new balance tag is attached with a plastic loop thread instead of a straight piece. The box interior is not the same material on the inside as the outside ( it is a lighter shade and the material from the outside is folded over the edges (not like my other red cncpts boxes). The size tag has a printed checkmark under the size (10, if that helps at all) instead of a hand-written mark over it. The box contained a plastic bag, the shoes werent inside it, but they probably should have been as the inside of the box seems to have transferred some color onto some parts of the shoes...so are these replicas?

i can provide pics if anyone wants to see.
Sounds fugazi to me bro, you basically named all the issues I look for. Pics couldn't hurt to be sure

Last edited:
Sounds fugazi to me bro, you basically named all the issues I look for. Pics couldn't hurt to be sure
i just took a flash pic and realized those green parts arent even 3m...thats the clincher.

edit: wait i dont remember from the real pair i once had, are those supposed to be 3m? ill post the pics in a minute

edit 2: 

Last edited:

Let's see some pics if you can.  I'd love to see what the fakes look like. 
other than the irregularities i pointed out, these are pretty well-made shoes, the materials are high-grade, even the insoles are on point...the shape is off and theres alot of extraneous glue, so it leads me to believe these are one of those replicas that contain some parts of the pairs that made it to release using rejected/extra materials or whatever happens...stuff like this scares me that theres such "good" replicas in the market...oh well, i bought em on ebay so i should be able to recover this one.

edit: the insoles, and those tags you see to the right were inside the box too

Last edited:
After close inspection, they look super fake.  I'm not a NB expert by any means.  However I can see that the brownish/peach painted part on the midsole is painted all bad.  Like they painted "outside the lines" and you can see a separate brush stroke.  Hope you get your money back man. 

Back
Top Bottom