Official NFL Offseason Thread

Man, they been ravin about him since he had came back from his knee surgery
they said last yr was basically his "red shirt yr"
I dunno

but back to the Bengals cutting Thurman.
Apparently, they cut him for missing VOLUNTARY work outs which is against the rules.
:smh
They are going to get hit with some sanctions and quick case from the NFLPA.

That organization is so backwards.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Man, they been ravin about him since he had came back from his knee surgery
they said last yr was basically his "red shirt yr"
I dunno

but back to the Bengals cutting Thurman.
Apparently, they cut him for missing VOLUNTARY work outs which is against the rules.
:smh:
They are going to get hit with some sanctions and quick case from the NFLPA.

That organization is so backwards.

It probably wont be that easy to prove but you never know.

But there is no doubt the Bengals are a chicken #@%* organization. Mike Brown is always on top of things.
sick.gif

Hmmmm.

Bengals Release Odell Thurman [h3]Troubled LB Skipped Voluntary Workouts Following Grandmother's Death[/h3]CINCINNATI (AP) ― Troubled linebacker Odell Thurman was released by the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday, one month after he was reinstated by the NFL from a two-year suspension.

Thurman failed to attend the team's three voluntary workouts last week, when he was in Georgia following the death of his grandmother. The Bengals are installing a new defense, and wanted him to participate.

"I was just told by coach (Marvin) Lewis that he hadn't been in the building enough since his reinstatement, and they decided to go in a different direction," agent Safarrah Lawson said in a phone interview.

"The NFL provided Odell the opportunity to earn his way back onto our team, but we have not seen the right steps taken by him," Lewis said in a statement. "With our offseason work in progress and new talent added at our linebacker position, we've determined it's best to keep moving in a direction that does not include Odell."

Lawson was surprised by the release.

"Odell traveled a long, hard road to get back, to get reinstated," Lawson said. "It's unfortunate that, ultimately, the death of his grandmother sidetracked him and made football not the No. 1 priority over the last month."
They're gonna Lose.

Hmmmm.

Bengals Release Odell Thurman [h3]Troubled LB Skipped Voluntary Workouts Following Grandmother's Death[/h3]CINCINNATI (AP) ― Troubled linebacker Odell Thurman was released by the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday, one month after he was reinstated by the NFL from a two-year suspension.

Thurman failed to attend the team's three voluntary workouts last week, when he was in Georgia following the death of his grandmother. The Bengals are installing a new defense, and wanted him to participate.

"I was just told by coach (Marvin) Lewis that he hadn't been in the building enough since his reinstatement, and they decided to go in a different direction," agent Safarrah Lawson said in a phone interview.

"The NFL provided Odell the opportunity to earn his way back onto our team, but we have not seen the right steps taken by him," Lewis said in a statement. "With our offseason work in progress and new talent added at our linebacker position, we've determined it's best to keep moving in a direction that does not include Odell."

"Odell traveled a long, hard road to get back, to get reinstated," Lawson said. "It's unfortunate that, ultimately, the death of his grandmother sidetracked him and made football not the No. 1 priority over the last month."
They're gonna Lose.
But unless they have some documentation of this or what was said between the two its going to be Marv's word versus Odell.
Personally everyone knows why he was fired but can they prove it enough for a court? We shall see. I HOPE TO GOD they do though because the Bengals have beenshowing their !*% this off season.

[table][tr][td]2005 - Cincinnati Bengals[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Rd[/th] [th=""]Sel #[/th] [th=""]Player[/th] [th=""]Position[/th] [th=""]School[/th] [/tr][tr][td]1[/td] [td]17[/td] [td]David Pollack[/td] [td]LB[/td] [td]Georgia[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [td]48[/td] [td]Odell Thurman[/td] [td]MLB[/td] [td]Georgia[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [td]83[/td] [td]Chris Henry[/td] [td]WR[/td] [td]West Virginia[/td] [/tr][/table]

top three picks of bengals 2005 draft all gone from the team..

COURT? nah, more like an arbitrator, and with that, its not like US criminal court where u need an overwhelming amount of evidence.
They rule against teams all the time in cases like this and injury settlements.

laugh.gif
DWAI
what a Horrible Draft.

Hmmmm.

They're gonna Lose.

I don't see how. Thurman has given them enough reason to release him over the past 2 years.
RIP to Thurman's Grandmother but this guy has alot of nerve playing this card. The Bengals should say its unfortunate that Odell keepsgetting arrested for DUI's and made football not the No. 1 prority over the last 2 years.

[h1]Boldin, Dockett skip voluntary workouts; Leinart focused[/h1]
Associated Press

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Anquan Boldin and Darnell Dockett picked a good time to skip the Arizona Cardinals' voluntary workouts.

BOL283010.jpg
Anquan Boldin, WR
Arizona Cardinals

2007 Statistics
Recs: 71
Yards: 853
TDs: 9

DOC428041.jpg
Darnell Dockett, DT
Arizona Cardinals

2007 Statistics
Tckls: 58
Sacks: 9.0

The temperature approached 90 degrees as winds gusted on the team's practice fields on Wednesday morning. At the end of the 90-minute workout, players broke into position groups and ran wind sprints.

"I'd prefer that they'd be here, but these workouts are voluntary," said coach Ken Whisenhunt, who conducted his post-practice news conference in the shade of a tree.

Boldin's contract runs through 2010 and averages $4 million. He is to receive about $2.5 million this season. But his deal pales next to fellow receiver Larry Fitzgerald's new four-year, $40 million contract, with $30 million guaranteed.

The Cardinals seem willing to extend Boldin's deal, but nothing appears imminent. General manager Rod Graves is on vacation after attending the NFL Spring Meeting in Atlanta.

Dockett, a hard-nosed defensive end, signed a five-year, $22 million contract extension in October 2006.

Fitzgerald also missed Wednesday's workout, but he was cleared for personal reasons, Whisenhunt said.

Although the Cardinals have made efforts to sign their core players, contract tensions are nothing new for the club. So players didn't seem too alarmed by the absence of Boldin and Dockett, who are among the team's leaders.

"Obviously, people have different situations that they're going through," said quarterback Matt Leinart, who staged a two-week training camp holdout as a rookie. "You'd like to have everyone out here as a team, but people have got to handle their own business and we just move on. These guys are out here, and that's all we're worrying about is just practicing."

Whisenhunt said the Cardinals "have a good core group of veterans that are here -- our leaders, they're here working out every day, and they're good football players. And these young guys are getting to see these guys work."

One of those guys is running back Edgerrin James, who has skipped some voluntary workouts in the past. He's attending the first and third weeks of the four-week program.

Without his two main targets, Leinart threw to wideouts Steve Breaston, Ahmad Merritt and Early Doucet as the wind played havoc with the football.

During training camp last summer, the newly hired Whisenhunt told Leinart to "pick up his game." Leinart, who is returning from an injury-shortened season, is hoping to show the coaching staff that he's doing just that.
[table][tr][td]
Arizona Cardinals [/td] [/tr][/table]
The Cardinals' first-round pick in 2006, Leinart has thrown 13 touchdown passes and 16 interceptions in 17 NFL games.

Leinart has spent much of the offseason working on basics such as footwork and throwing technique.

"I'm more precise in my decisions," Leinart said. "The ball's coming out faster, which means I know where I'm going with it. My footwork's been a lot better. I've just got to keep improving, keep studying and keep getting better, and just keep helping this team any way I can.

"I feel a lot stronger than I ever have. And mentally, I'm more focused, and in year two in this system, understanding what we're trying to do as an offense. Now it's just going out there on the field and executing it."

Whisenhunt said he's noticed the difference.

"His technique, his footwork, even his throwing motion -- things that we've been working on are all a lot easier for him now because he's more comfortable with everything," Whisenhunt said. "But let's not mistake the fact that he's put a lot of work in the offseason, even from last year when he got hurt, to prepare to do this. So I'm excited to see where he goes from here."

Good to see that Leinart is working hard to improve his game..I was a fan of his when he called the shots at USC, and I'm confident that he'll be anice Quarterback in the NFL. Whisenhunt has got confidence in him too which is always good for a young QB to know.

Travis Henry just got axed...

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hTif5_MCQHUyKzJ0eySzlWuzF-rQD91222303

DENVER (AP) - The Denver Broncos released running back Travis Henry on Monday, saying his commitment to the team was in question.
The Broncos signed Henry to a five-year, $22.5 million contract in March 2007. He was hampered by injuries in his only season in Denver, rushing for 691 yards on 167 carries with four touchdowns.

Henry injured a hamstring while running 100-yard sprints late last month.

The NFL told him in September he had failed a test for marijuana and would be suspended for a year, but he challenged the test and the punishment and won.

Before joining the Broncos, Henry played for Tennessee and Buffalo.

"We did not feel his commitment to the Broncos was enough to warrant a spot on this football team," coach Mike Shanahan said in a written statement. "Although Travis has the ability to be one of the top running backs in the NFL, we have to make decisions that are in the best interests of our organization and its goal of winning a Super Bowl."

from profootballtalk.com:

Though reported as a contract containing $26 million in guaranteed money, we're told by a source with knowledge of the situation that the deal signed by Raiders running back Darren McFadden, the No. 4 overall pick in the draft, contains $19.6 million in guaranteed money at the time of signing.

The rest of the guaranteed money comes from achievement of the so-called "falling off the log" bonus based on the achievement of minimum playing time in any year of the deal.

We're also told that the guaranteed money at the time of signing was based on McFadden's rookie pool allocation in 2008 with guaranteed salaries in years two through five, and the maximum annual growth of 25 percent of the first-year compensation.

So while there's a belief in some circles that guaranteed money can still be pushed into year six despite the early cancellation of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the Raiders didn't use that device.

And though our initial reaction was to ask why McFadden would have done a six-year deal with a guaranteed payment based on five seasons, he surely wouldn't have gotten a $7.4 million "log" bonus as part of only a five-year contract.

Originally Posted by jmause3

McFadden got a $26 million signing bonus
nah it was 26 Guaranteed, and Bonus of 20

I get the sense that Chris Long is gonna have some long drawn out contract negotiations, i hope not.
Floyd Reese said its crazy cuz the #1 pick signed for 30 but the #3 pick signed for 36. and normally #2 pick gets slotted for more than #2, but they have torealize a QB is gonan garner more bread than a DE.
I just dont wanna see some long +!$ hold out

**Random Question**

Gunna do you think Anthony Waters has the potential that the chargers fans hype him up to be?

buggz, I aint even sure, has he been balling ?
Honestly the last time I remember hearing about him was at Clemson. He was good back then tho

Is he projected to start this yr for the Bolts?

Honestly the last time I remember hearing about him was at Clemson. He was good back then tho

Nah he took the year off last year to heal his knee..."Redshirted". Stephen Coopher our starting ILB got hit with a four game suspension so thestarting job is up for grabs.

Everybody is saying he's going to pull a Cromartie, and he's the best 3rd round steal since blah blah blah. I was just wondering if he was actuallythat good in college, or if everybody's riding jock.

Originally Posted by buggzpimpin

Nah he took the year off last year to heal his knee..."Redshirted". Stephen Coopher our starting ILB got hit with a four game suspension so the starting job is up for grabs.

Everybody is saying he's going to pull a Cromartie, and he's the best 3rd round steal since blah blah blah. I was just wondering if he was actually that good in college, or if everybody's riding jock.

I dunno how he is going to be a year removed from knee surgery but he was talented at Clemson. I dont think he is anything special though but he can definetlybe better then what they have in the middle now if he can return to form
nerd.gif

Jimmy Williams got axed by the Falcons today.

It was really only a matter of time. The weed arrest last year, showing up to mini-camp overweight, then skipping out on two days.

Another Rick McKay pick that went nowhere.
smh.gif

So much for all those VT legacy in Atlanta. They're all gone. Vick, D. Hall, Jimmy...%@#+, even Matt Lehr is being investigated for steroids. Bryan Randallnever made it off the practice squad.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/06/17/falcons_0618.html

for any other texan fans out there
just something to read

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Improved running game shaping up for Texans[/h1]

By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: June 20, 2008
nfl_u_green_580.jpg

Brett Davis/US PRESSWIRE

Injuries slowed Ahman Green in 2007, but now healthy and behind a revamped offensive line, Green should return to his Pro Bowl form.
Gary Kubiak is ready for the Texans to make their first true playoff run, and the key word is run. Kubiak hired blocking guru Alex Gibbs to revamp the offensive line and install his athletic, attacking zone-blocking scheme. Though much of the success of the running offense depends on the health of veteran running back Ahman Green, the early reviews of the transition along the line are good. [h2]What we learned from minicamp[/h2]
The offensive line is set to get younger and better at the expense of a few veterans. First-round pick Duane Brown moved ahead of veteran Ephraim Salaam, and Salaam wasn't too happy about the move. Most teams considered Brown a second-round pick, but Gibbs can usually take non first-round talents and turn them into solid blockers. Athletically, Brown fits perfectly in Gibbs' scheme. It also helps that he will be working next to left guard Chester Pitts, who has been a mentor to Brown. Chris Myers, acquired from the Broncos, has taken over at center. Mike Brisiel is holding down the right guard spot until veteran Fred Weary is healthy. Eric Winston is set at right tackle. The members of Gibbs' retooled line have an average age of 25, and he has veterans available to replace them in case they fail.

NFL.com Video

DeMeco Ryans explains his every-down demeanor and how it has rubbed off on his teammates.

Finally, the Texans have options along the line. No longer are they going to patch the line with veteran free agents as they did the past season. The Texans felt so good about their depth that they released veteran tackle Jordan Black, whom they signed to a two-year, $3.4 million contract last year. The running options have also improved. Green is the starter. Chris Brown is a more athletic replacement as the backup instead of departed Ron Dayne. Steve Slaton, the team's third-round choice, could be a sleeper. On paper, this is the best the running offense has looked in the history of the franchise.
[h2]Still unresolved[/h2]
The Texans have to figure out a plan at cornerback until Dunta Robinson returns from reconstructive knee surgery, and they appear to have everything covered. Robinson may miss the first six games of the season, which is more optimistic than the original plan of a November return. Jacques Reeves was given a five-year, $20 million contract to be the insurance policy, but he will have to be the No. 1 cornerback going into the season. Fred Bennett, who's coming off a good rookie season, will start on the other side. Third-round choice Antwaun Molden might be too raw to be the third cornerback, but veteran DeMarcus Faggins is still around if needed. Molden had a solid minicamp.

The loss of Robinson was a big blow. He was developing into one of the top corners in the AFC, and good cornerback play is needed in this conference and particularly in this division. What is encouraging is the pass rush looks good with the improvements along the defensive line, particularly defensive end Mario Williams.
[h2]Injury analysis[/h2]
The biggest concerns are Robinson, who is on schedule for an October return, and tackle Charles Spencer, who seems to be nowhere close to coming back from two missed seasons because of knee problems. Guard Fred Weary needed a scope as he continues to rehabilitate his fractured leg and may not be ready for the start of camp. But he should be ready for the regular season and has a chance to compete for the starting job at right guard.

Halfback Ahman Green had a good offseason because he didn't push his recovery from knee problems. Wide receiver Andre Johnson looked good after having a couple of knee procedures in the past year. Halfback Chris Taylor is coming off ACL surgery and was active at camp. The best news is that quarterback Matt Schaub is showing no ill effects from the injury to his nonthrowing shoulder last season.
[h2]Biggest sign of optimism[/h2]
Kubiak cited defensive tackle Amobi Okoye as having the team's best offseason. That took some doing. Defensive end Mario Williams, motivated by not being selected to the Pro Bowl last season, was unblockable in OTAs and minicamp. To beat out Williams for that praise says a lot for Okoye's spring. All of a sudden, the Texans have an inside-outside threat along the defensive line that might remind opponents of the Warren Sapp-Simeon Rice days in Tampa Bay. The Texans have the makings of a great defensive line. Travis Johnson and Anthony Weaver should be free to draw single blocking because of Williams and Okoye, which could make them more effective.

If the Texans can generate a great pass rush, it will make the transition in the secondary a lot easier. The Texans had only 31 team sacks last season, 14 by Williams. That number has to increase. The Texans signed former Patriots linebacker Rosevelt Colvin Monday to help on third downs and rush the quarterback.

Training camp start date: July 25

I don't know if anyone cares but....
grin.gif

CBS4: Broncos Cut RB Mike Bell, Sign Draft Pick
CBS4 Broncos Insiders Sign Ups: Get Broncos Email Updates or text 4broncos to 66247 for free wireless text updates
DENVER (AP) ― The Denver Broncos have signed center Kory Lichtensteiger and waived running back Mike Bell and kicker Garrett Hartley.

The Broncos chose Lichtensteiger in the fourth round (108th overall) of this year's draft from Bowling Green State University. The terms of the dealannounced today weren't disclosed.

The Broncos have signed six of their nine draft selections.

Lichtensteiger earned All-Mid-American Conference honors during each of his four seasons at Bowling Green. He was a four-year starter for the Falcons, tyingthe school's career record with 48 starts.

Bell was in his third year. He rushed for 680 yards on 163 carries -- a 4.2 average -- with eight touchdowns in 20 games with the Broncos.

Hartley, a rookie, signed with the Broncos in April as a college free agent.

Back
Top Bottom