Official NT dad thread: can the dads get love

how do y'all deal w/ academic problems
that **** is frustrating for sure. my second grade son is doing ok in english. he’s been reading since 3 years old and his vocab/comprehension is way above his grade level. problem is that he’s not focused and forgets stuff like his punctuation and capitalization. his math is just ok. his handwriting is horrible. instead of yelling at him all the time, i started helping him organize his **** better and going over his work every night while giving positive reinforcement for the improvements he makes.

my 1 year old daughter is in day care now and she’s way more physical than my son and not as ummm academic i guess you could say. they post up on an app called brightwheel and it helps us to see what she does all day.
D91C93DB-91B3-4490-B35A-D6EFF3278F07.jpeg

how do y'all deal w/ academic problems?

my daughter is in 2nd grade and has had straight A's up until her last report card but her math grade which was the only non A was an 88

still good

but her reading tests as of late have not been good and she actually had a failing grade at 67

the tests have a small reading segment, multiple choice questions, and a 4 point writing section

I don't recall her ever getting a multiple choice question wrong but she is awful at the reading portion

she has lost iPod and TV privilege's

I've sat with her and went over each bad test and it just seems like it goes in one ear and out the other cause I have not seen any improvement...this week her teacher is going to ask the the questions for the writing portion and have her say the answer to see how that goes

I'm a teacher so I want to ask a couple questions before I answer. Also, a dad to a daughter in 1st grade. What does her schooling look like right now? Is she remote? Hybrid?

^in school

only time she has done remote is when the school closed due to inclement weather...all the kids get a chrome book which they’ve been bringing home every day since it’s winter

that **** is frustrating for sure. my second grade son is doing ok in english. he’s been reading since 3 years old and his vocab/comprehension is way above his grade level. problem is that he’s not focused and forgets stuff like his punctuation and capitalization. his math is just ok. his handwriting is horrible. instead of yelling at him all the time, i started helping him organize his **** better and going over his work every night while giving positive reinforcement for the improvements he makes.

my 1 year old daughter is in day care now and she’s way more physical than my son and not as ummm academic i guess you could say. they post up on an app called brightwheel and it helps us to see what she does all day.
D91C93DB-91B3-4490-B35A-D6EFF3278F07.jpeg
Your son sounds just like my daughter

she finally got the reading test from last week back today

85A93940-78C1-4B3E-904C-9CAE373B1E70.jpeg
62824031-7375-4CB3-8B3F-53DB8A9100F2.jpeg

She got all points on the writing portion but didn’t realize there was a few questions on the backside of the last page🤦‍♀️

After a year of returning back to the SF Bay Area and living with the in-laws, we finally found a 2-BR apartment to call home. My wife and I debated back and forth about if we should just stick it out with her parents and save money, but after assessing our mental health and the kids' lack of space to play, it was the best choice. Also helps to be moving to a city where it's safer to go to a park and walk in the afternoon.

We don't get the keys till the end of March, but man, I'm already hear stressing about logistics on how and when to move/order things for the home so it's a smooth transition for the kids.

We also plan on registering my daughter for Kindergarten. Man, time is flying fast.

After a year of returning back to the SF Bay Area and living with the in-laws, we finally found a 2-BR apartment to call home. My wife and I debated back and forth about if we should just stick it out with her parents and save money, but after assessing our mental health and the kids' lack of space to play, it was the best choice. Also helps to be moving to a city where it's safer to go to a park and walk in the afternoon.

We don't get the keys till the end of March, but man, I'm already hear stressing about logistics on how and when to move/order things for the home so it's a smooth transition for the kids.

We also plan on registering my daughter for Kindergarten. Man, time is flying fast.
Congrats. Just applied for a 3 bedroom here bruh. Also moving near end of March. Time indeed flies, especially during lockdown.

^in school

only time she has done remote is when the school closed due to inclement weather...all the kids get a chrome book which they’ve been bringing home every day since it’s winter

Your son sounds just like my daughter

she finally got the reading test from last week back today

85A93940-78C1-4B3E-904C-9CAE373B1E70.jpeg
62824031-7375-4CB3-8B3F-53DB8A9100F2.jpeg

She got all points on the writing portion but didn’t realize there was a few questions on the backside of the last page🤦‍♀️

Has she struggled with reading? If she doesn't, I wonder if she's simply bored or uninterested in the readings. Try getting her books that she is interested in. My daughter hates doing work sometimes when she finds it too easy. I'd also ask the teacher if she is distracted and if so why? Is she being seated with kids that like to talk, etc.

^dog, she has a million books

she is in the "reading circle" in her class...it's for kids that read well

they have been reading Harry Potter

she is easily distracted but I think the biggest thing is she doesn't understand the questions for the writing portion, mainly the terminology which her teacher told me is nothing new to them

she got the writing portion correct on the last test that I posted...only lost points because there was three questions she didn't do...she didn't realize there were questions on the back side of the last page 🤦‍♀️🙇‍♂️

^ did this start this year? I wonder if it’s the particular teacher. I feel that the teacher is being hands off and seems to be putting it on your daughter for not doing the work or doing well. As a parent and teacher, my questions are to the teacher are:
1. Are you going over the questions with the kids?
2. Are you rephrasing or defining words for students?
3. Did you say directions out loud and tell them to do or that there are questions on the back?
4. Did she circulate the room to check that students were doing both sides?

I teach teenagers and even these basic things apply. Too many teachers are just here so this, read the directions and then being like “I dOnT kNoW wHy ThEy ArEnT dOiNg It.”

^started this year

she’s in second grade and they didn’t have tests like this in first grade

the teacher did say that my daughter never approaches her with any questions or if there is something she doesn’t understand

^ sounds like the teacher needs to do change her approach. Why isn’t she approaching your daughter? Or check if she understands. She should be asking her comprehension questions. It may also be test anxiety. She may do better when questions are asked out loud.

^ sounds like the teacher needs to do change her approach. Why isn’t she approaching your daughter? Or check if she understands. She should be asking her comprehension questions. It may also be test anxiety. She may do better when questions are asked out loud.
I will say that my daughter is the type to be hesitant to ask a teacher a question if she doesn't understand something

When I talked to her teacher about it she said she would work with her for awhile to make sure she is ok to do it on her own

haven't received last weeks test yet...she may have it today when she comes home

I will say that my daughter is the type to be hesitant to ask a teacher a question if she doesn't understand something

When I talked to her teacher about it she said she would work with her for awhile to make sure she is ok to do it on her own

haven't received last weeks test yet...she may have it today when she comes home

Let me know how it goes. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I don't mind exchanging #'s especially when it comes to school.

Man as much as I hate consumerism and wanna raise her to be free of products consuming her life- I can’t stop buying her kicks lol. But I make sure she thinks they’re just cool shoes. Her uncles and aunts always be on some “ooooo wooow you have Jordan’s!!!! “ and I jus wanna be on some they just shoes don’t gas her
79AA1C63-4662-4A92-9FAA-E924E695BD39.jpeg

Attachments

• 1EB63F89-0DEC-47A0-9E5F-202236300CD5.jpeg
    1EB63F89-0DEC-47A0-9E5F-202236300CD5.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 22
****, thats fly.
Where was that? Age limitations?

In Atlanta - The Splatter Studio by Binders (you can see if they have one in your state)

All ages are welcome. It’s a BYOB situation, too. (Alcohol is allowed)

Also, must have a minimum of 2 people in the group and maximum of 8. 1 hour long. $50 a person. Unless you do a private party of $600 up to 12 people max and it’s 1.5 hours long. They supply everything,

In Atlanta - The Splatter Studio by Binders (you can see if they have one in your state)

All ages are welcome. It’s a BYOB situation, too. (Alcohol is allowed)

Also, must have a minimum of 2 people in the group and maximum of 8. 1 hour long. $50 a person. Unless you do a private party of $600 up to 12 people max and it’s 1.5 hours long. They supply everything,

Respect. Damn i have to research something similar in nyc for my daughter but shes 4.

Back
Top Bottom