***Official Political Discussion Thread***

So we get to listen to Ted Cruz talk for 20 hours now. This is one of those rare solutions where everyone involved loses

If you make em talk through the whole thing
it would def make it a lot tougher to impose a 60 vote threshold for every non reconciliation bill.

He has been saying that **** for a while now

So it is not like he has budged

Maybe filibuster reform is on the table, but it needs to be something strong enough to get voting right through.

maybe im being too optimistic but I if Joe Biden wants it to happen I think this it's going to happen.

I think one of the benefits of Joe Biden being an old white guy senate lifer,
if he goes behind the scenes and says "we need to save the filibuster, by restoring it to a talking fillibuster"

the moderates will fall in line.

maybe im being too optimistic but I if Joe Biden wants it to happen I think this it's going to happen.

I think one of the benefits of Joe Biden being an old white guy senate lifer,
if he goes behind the scenes and says "we need to save the filibuster, by restoring it to a talking fillibuster"

the moderates will fall in line.
An omnibus electoral reform and voting rights bill will severely hurt the GOP''s prospects at the ballot for decades to come. I think the GOP will be willing to keep the floor as long as the need to in order to stop that.

What I need Joe Manchin to say is "I believe in compromise and healthy debate on things like the minimum wage, but a lot of stuff is not subject to the 60 vote threshold, I think anything that makes it easier for folk to get out there and vote should be one of those things. "

Since the Senate passed the bill my mind keep spinning about the Dems not fixing the ACA individual mandate in the bill

The bill had ACA reforms in there too

So no one thought that it would be good to rob the 6 conservatives on the Supreme Court of the power to kick millions of people off of their health insurance. WTF man

This bit of incompetency might turn out to a catastrophe

You know what, if he did that I’d legit vote for him. That’s the kind of New Yorker I want running this city :lol:

An omnibus electoral reform and voting rights bill will severely hurt the GOP''s prospects at the ballot for decades to come. I think the GOP will be willing to keep the floor as long as the need to in order to stop that.

What I need Joe Manchin to say is "I believe in compromise and healthy debate on things like the minimum wage, but a lot of stuff is not subject to the 60 vote threshold, I think anything that makes it easier for folk to get out there and vote should be one of those things. "

I def don't think he needs to say that. I think it's better if he doesn't.

I think they need to draft a rural broadband legislation, or whatever Joe Manchin wants and a maybe 12 dollar minimum wage and defang the fillibuster for that.

Then do voting rights. I think you gotta do it in a way that Joe Manchin can brag about in WV. Voting rights ain't it.

I def don't think he needs to say that. I think it's better if he doesn't.

I think they need to draft a rural broadband legislation, or whatever Joe Manchin wants and a maybe 12 dollar minimum wage and defang the fillibuster for that.

Then do voting rights. I think you gotta do it in a way that Joe Manchin can brag about in WV. Voting rights ain't it.

I thought you were asking me my feelings about his words, so my answer was in regards to my feelings. I was not taking into consideration the feelings of regressive white people in WV, mainly because I thought I was not being asked to.

At the end of the day bringing back the speaking filibuster does nothing really, Manchin suggestion doesn't solve the core issue. You are definitely not gonna get the most important bills done, you are probably not gonna the lower-level stuff done either. In fact, you could just give the GOP a new weapon to slow down the Senate even more.

Even if you defang the filibuster, that will not prevent from the GOP launching all-out a propaganda campaign against it, voting rights and Joe Manchin. The Senate floor can be occupied for weeks while the GOP floods news stations and media outlets with their talking points about the Dems rigging the political system. At the end of the day, I don't think rural broadband and a minimum wage is gonna provide any real cover if it goes first (even it does actually pass, which I doubt it would).

The filibuster is not gonna fall out of some "let's disarm white people" politics. It is gonna come from 50 Dems Senators choosing that they what to actually help people above all else.

That is why I am so terrified and furious about the ACA and the Dems stupidly just leaving it up to the Supreme Court. There is a real chance that millions lose their health insurance in a few months, millions more lose important protections; if that happens the Dems will offer a replacement, the GOP refuses or only will agree to the stupid Skinny Repeal bill they tried to pass in 2017, WV governor is on the Dems sides, and Joe Manchin will probably still be outchea most concerned with looking centrist as opposed to doing the right things.

I don't know if I trust this fool to drop his BS even in a life and death situation like that.

You say Obama is the GOAT, welp Obama was also ready to pay the political consequences for trying to pass the ACA, for trying to do the right thing. Until Joe Manchin thinks like that and puts the needs of the country about his own political prospects, then the filibuster reform the country actually needs will probably not happen.

At some point, even for Joe Manchin, politics needs to be about helping people more than the next election. Saying you are for bringing back actual talking for the filibuster falls way short of that. Even if he wants to keep the filibuster, he needs to start being in favor of some stronger reforms.

So I will remain angry and unimpressed by Manchin until that day arrives

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom