***Official Political Discussion Thread***

My wife is an alumnus of JSU. Shout out to the class of 1970.

I never understood why we just let Israelis do whatever the hell they want
Because they guarantee that the Suez Canal stays open. Disrupting the flow of goods through the region would significantly impact the economies of the US and other NATO countries. We've had a preview of that scenario a few weeks ago.

Israel is a pretty much the only reliable partner of the US in that region because their people will not readily give power to leaders who arbor a noticeable level of anti-american sentiment (like the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt - which was quickly replaced by Sisi - or the Iranian government). What the right-wing Israeli government gets out of this show of loyalty is complicit silence from the West while they pursue their policy of annexation of Palestinian lands.

As long as the US doesn't have an alternative partner that shows the same level of commitment to US interests that Israel shows, they'll remain Israel's *** in the Middle East.

I never understood why we just let Israelis do whatever the hell they want
Won’t even begin to pretend I know what’s going on there. A mixture of a lot of things. It’s just sad to see what humanity chooses to do. People who don’t even care about their fight end up dead while the people in charge press buttons and make phone calls

xdb14pjz5bz61.png

I'm unqualified to comment on the whole history of what has gone on between Israel and Palestine, but some of the **** I've seen of Israel essentially looking like an apartheid era South Africa is wild. I'd love for someone to correct me if I'm wrong here, but it really seems like Israel essentially committed genocide and has started forcibly removing people off of land they have lived on for a long time.

I feel like any criticism of that type of thing immediately gets conflated with antisemitism, so I'll stop there.

I'm unqualified to comment on the whole history of what has gone on between Israel and Palestine, but some of the **** I've seen of Israel essentially looking like an apartheid era South Africa is wild. I'd love for someone to correct me if I'm wrong here, but it really seems like Israel essentially committed genocide and has started forcibly removing people off of land they have lived on for a long time.

I feel like any criticism of that type of thing immediately gets conflated with antisemitism, so I'll stop there.

Man I'm still trying to figure out what's real and what's propaganda....Will report back once I do doe

Israel is a great topic for cable news coverage because it's something that various elite factions care about deeply
and normal people barley even understand it.

this my very rudimentary understanding of this conflict:

and please correct me if im wrong.

Israel has decided to displace the native inhabitants of the land and confine them to an open air prison in gaza?
predictably this has lead to the rise of militant amoral terrorist organization hamas.

the rightward shift of the israeli government has killed any hope for a two state solution

so this essentially leaves two options.

1. the israeli government finally decide to treat palestinians with dignity respect,
give them citizenship and make them a part of their nation.

2. an endless cycle of, expansion, escalation and death and despair.
that bubbles up intermittently from now until eternity.

seems like the israeli government has chosen option 2.
and there is nothing anyone can really do to stop them.

There’s the Mandela quote: We know too well that our freedom is incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians.

Some of his grandkids have been rallying for Palestine. I think Mandela and his kin are qualified to speak on apartheid, making your assessment accurate.

There’s the Mandela quote: We know too well that our freedom is incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians.

Some of his grandkids have been rallying for Palestine. I think Mandela and his kin are qualified to speak on apartheid, making your assessment accurate.

It was pretty alarming to read that during the strike today they requested more time to evacuate and were basically told no (it was like an hour after the notice that they bombed them)?

Sounds like war crimes

what's stopping Netanyahu from just saying that every building holds a Hamas office? Civilian casualties be damned. Why even warn people to evacuate, then you're letting Hamas evacuate too no? Dude just wants to burn any instance of Palestine to the ground.

Anybody have any good reading material on the Israel/Palestine relationship from like 1900 to the present? I know very little on the subject... I would love to one out more about it from a neutral party. Or a podcast to listen to.

what's stopping Netanyahu from just saying that every building holds a Hamas office? Civilian casualties be damned. Why even warn people to evacuate, then you're letting Hamas evacuate too no? Dude just wants to burn any instance of Palestine to the ground.

nothing other than the electorate israel?

again im just a random *** hole not a mid east expert

but it seems to me the only way this gets resolved
is by convincing the israeli electorate that they should give palestinians equal rights and representation.

barring that, this will go on forever and ever,
and again please someone correct me if im wrong

but it seems to me that there is nothing anyone can do about it.

nothing other than the electorate israel?

again im just a random *** hole not a mid east expert

but it seems to me the only way this gets resolved
is by convincing the israeli electorate that they should give palestinians equal rights and representation.

barring that, this will go on forever and ever,
and again please someone correct me if im wrong

but it seems to me that there is nothing anyone can do about it.

yeah both sides too entrenched into this mess, prob take a generation of new leadership just to start to resolve the conflict.

Back
Top Bottom