***Official Political Discussion Thread***

tenor (61).gif

I'm unqualified to comment on the whole history of what has gone on between Israel and Palestine, but some of the **** I've seen of Israel essentially looking like an apartheid era South Africa is wild. I'd love for someone to correct me if I'm wrong here, but it really seems like Israel essentially committed genocide and has started forcibly removing people off of land they have lived on for a long time.

I feel like any criticism of that type of thing immediately gets conflated with antisemitism, so I'll stop there.

Posting facts isn't antisemitism. It's when people start flirting with conspiracy theories that I take issue with. Like some in here already pointed out, there are Palestinian jews and christians.

Just watched the Big Short last night, had never seen it and didn’t fully understand what happened. Really makes you mad what these crooks get away with.

The book is def better explainer than the movie
it's like any bubble and crash, except this bubble was housing market aka they primary means of wealth generation in north america. :lol:

In the 90's there was a comic book bubble and crash.

there was a boom in people speculating on comic book prices,
people thought they could buy comics and in 20 years or something itd be worth 1 million bucks

Comic makers realized this and found out they could manipulate the speculators
they could turn a ****ty comic into valuable comic, by adding a bunch of gimmicks.
foil covers, lots of number 1 issues, ect ect

speculators thought their foil holographic cover spiderman #1 would be worth a million dollars one day and scooped them all up.
comic publishers kept printing more and more, and speculators kept buying,

and they could keep running this jig as long as comic resale prices kept going up.

until one day people realized these things were actually worthless.
your incredible hulk holographic limited edition#1 issue isn't worth anything if marvel prints millions of copies. :lol:

market crashes, marvel, dc gets stuck with warehouses full of holographic foil cover issues and they go into bankruptcy.

big banks did the same thing, they realized they could turn ****ty loans into profitable ones by bundling them into CDO's

-so they needed more loans to create more CDO's
-incentivising crooked mortgage sales people to get people to buy homes they couldn't afford.
-people were willing to buy because they thought house prices go up, they could flip the house before they had to pay real money.
-regulators through some combination of incompetence and corruption look the other way.

and they could keep running this jig as long as home prices kept going up.
until they didn't

the main difference is the banks compounded the problem by giving people a way to bet against their jig,
essentially multiplying their possible losses, and destroying the global banking system in the process.

banks had gotten so large and complex, that many of them didn't quite realize the level of risk they were taking on.
and just how many places were directly or indirectly exposed to massive loses if the housing prices started falling.

Last edited:
The number one thing I learned from the Big Short book?
intelligence is overrated.

plenty smart people got caught up in this.

The people who executed the big short had particularly personalities and life experiences...
that made the predisposed to seeing through and exploiting this specific kind of scam.

being anti social outsider skeptic, was particularly useful for shorting the US housing market.

but Michael Burry (the christian bale character) is now a covid death rate truther kook on twitter. :lol:
so anti social outsider skepticism clearly has its limits. :lol:

If the movie about the last 4+ years is almost close to being accurate, it’ll be too unbelievable to those who didn’t live through it. For an entire party to be taken over by a failed business man whose biggest claim to fame is his last name and a reality show about being successful is wild.

The funny thing in all of this is the vocal restaurant owners and those complaining about unemployment inconveniencing them don’t even realize that those low wage jobs aren’t just competing with unemployment. Yeah, unemployment gave them a talking point to whine about, but that’s not the only thing they’re competing against.

They’re competing with gig work, side hustles, and focus groups which often pay what someone would make in 2-3 days work at some of those jobs just to answer questions about a product via zoom for 2 hours. On that lower wage level, more and more people are realizing they can supplement their income if not make more through other means without the stress, having to work around scheduling and being micromanaged.

I’m curious to what the narrative is going to be for those places once they can’t use unemployment as their woe is me talking point anymore.
I actually agree. What we’re witnessing is a market correction. These jobs need to pay more it’s obvious and until they do they will have issues with staffing. Republicans and business owners are just mad because usually they can manipulate the market to their own benefit but competition has a way of winning out in situations like this.

This needs to go viral, and people need to come to terms with it. I had people in my timeline last week disappointed in Musk like he wasn’t a cold hearted capitalist. Like they were surprised the scorpion stung them.

Back
Top Bottom