***Official Political Discussion Thread***

So is he saying fb is promoting to get vaccinated or fb is not promoting to get vaccinated?

Anything I see on fb that's contrary to getting vaccinated gets took down.
It does now that they’ve been called out for about a year. Wouldn’t say “everything either”. Far from it

It does now that they’ve been called out for about a year. Wouldn’t say “everything either”. Far from it
So in other words, he saying fb is not doing a fast enough job to take down the contrary of getting vaccinated?

Still kind of lost on what's in attempt to be conveyed.

"Fb is killing people." -joe Biden
But fb doesnt condone/promote/or parade anti vaxx.....

Soooooo?

So in other words, he saying fb is not doing a fast enough job to take down the contrary of getting vaccinated?

Soooooo?
It’s not “FB itself is killing people”, it’s “the use of Facebook and the lack of actual guidelines for usage has lead to disinformation, which lead to people dead”. I think those are very different. FB has been caught in lies about not being swayed by anyone in the past. They also allow hate group to exist within them.

no, I don’t have the quick answer but FB has caused many problems in society, or at the very least is the tool of choice and they refuse to do anything about it until they’re called out

add to that their programming built to bombard you with the BS if you click it once

Soooooo?

Note that the article is from 2019. (There was an outbreak of measles due to the rise of antivax communities on social media, and then Covid happened).

The problem with disinformation is that it's like a snowball going down the hill: the only way to stop it is at the top, by shutting down the tiny niche of people spreading around falsehoods. You wait too long, and the only way to stop it when it gets large enough is to threaten to punish antivaxxers for spreading BS, which obviously feeds the conspiracy theory "the government doesn't want people to know and is disappearing concerned citizens..."

So yeah, Facebook/YouTube/Instagram have been killing people by not controlling the antivax BS that has been spewed and propagated on their platforms for years.

tenor.gif

It’s not “FB itself is killing people”, it’s “the use of Facebook and the lack of actual guidelines for usage has lead to disinformation, which lead to people dead”. I think those are very different. FB has been caught in lies about not being swayed by anyone in the past. They also allow hate group to exist within them.

no, I don’t have the quick answer but FB has caused many problems in society, or at the very least is the tool of choice and they refuse to do anything about it until they’re called out

add to that their programming built to bombard you with the BS if you click it once

Note that the article is from 2019. (There was an outbreak of measles due to the rise of antivax communities on social media, and then Covid happened).

The problem with disinformation is that it's like a snowball going down the hill: the only way to stop it is at the top, by shutting down the tiny niche of people spreading around falsehoods. You wait too long, and the only way to stop it when it gets large enough is to threaten to punish antivaxxers for spreading BS, which obviously feeds the conspiracy theory "the government doesn't want people to know and is disappearing concerned citizens..."

So yeah, Facebook/YouTube/Instagram have been killing people by not controlling the antivax BS that has been spewed and propagated on their platforms for years.

Just so viewers are clear. I'm not pro fb at all, just want to get a better understanding on this specific topic.

Other than image searches and key stoke alerts, i dont see any major social media platforms having a 100% hold on it. Theres more users than monitors.

Thanks guys for your replies. I've personally seen anti vaxx info get removed from fb. So in my eyes there doing Something which is better than Nothing. It just doesnt sit right with me if Biden says(example) fb needs to clean their room when fb is in the midst of already doing it. With an addition of, once one anit vax post is removed another is back up in seconds.

Just so viewers are clear. I'm not pro fb at all, just want to get a better understanding on this specific topic.

Other than image searches and key stoke alerts, i dont see any major social media platforms having a 100% hold on it. Theres more users than monitors.

Thanks guys for your replies. I've personally seen anti vaxx info get removed from fb. So in my eyes there doing Something which is better than Nothing. It just doesnt sit right with me if Biden says(example) fb needs to clean their room when fb is in the midst of already doing it. With an addition of, once one anit vax post is removed another is back up in seconds.
At this point, the most effective thing FB can do is remove people/groups who post antivaxx stuff. We all know how that's gonna go though: the Right is going to use it to "prove" that FB is anti-free-speech, and they'll lose advertising revenue with the amount of people who leave/boycott the platform. Whatever controls they have set up right now is just about PR and managing the company's image.

What we're not even touching is the fact that FB has been encouraging ALL aspects of right-wing rhetoric because they became scared of what the Trump administration could do...

The debate over “Project P,” which resulted in a few of the worst pages quickly being removed while most others remained on the platform, exemplified the political dynamics that have reigned within Facebook since Trump emerged as the Republican Party’s presumptive nominee to the White House in 2016. A company led mainly by Democrats in the liberal bastion of Northern California repeatedly has tilted rightward to deliver policies, hiring decisions and public gestures sought by Republicans, according to current and former employees and others who have worked closely with the company.

Zuckerberg’s visit to Capitol Hill in April 2018 to address the Cambridge Analytica scandal featured frequent allegations of bias. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) cited Facebook’s warning to Diamond and Silk as exemplifying “a pervasive pattern of political bias.” In a House hearing the next day, Rep. Billy Long (R-Mo.) asked Zuckerberg, “What is ‘unsafe’ about two black women supporting Donald J. Trump?”
While Zuckerberg attributed the incident to “an enforcement error,” the next month the company announced it would conduct an audit of allegations of bias against conservatives at Facebook. Leading this inquiry was not an independent social media researcher but a prominent conservative lawyer, former senator Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.).
Facebook makes small tweaks after anti-conservative-bias report. They’re unlikely to make the issue go away.
The resulting interim report, completed in August, catalogued numerous complaints by conservatives but offered no concrete evidence of bias or any systematic, data-based review of the question. Still, it offered two concessions: Facebook would hire more staff “dedicated to working with right-of-center organizations and leaders.” And the company would loosen a long-standing advertising policy against graphic medical photos; the result was to allow antiabortion groups to depict premature babies reliant on feeding and other medical tubes in political messaging.

... to the point that they've essentially created a massive RW echo chamber.

It's all PR.

Quick question, what is the likelihood that Schumer can get his federal decriminalization and removal from Schedule 1 category of a whole plan passed?

Back
Top Bottom