***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Probably already posted but

mjlol (1) (1).png
this **** is a full on circus

Mexico right now:

1653036086643.png

After dentistry, they're gonna have an influx of American women crossing the border for more medical tourism.

Probably already posted but

mjlol (1) (1).png
this **** is a full on circus

To be fair, Tucker can claim he's not vaxxed because his studio is remote. The FOX vax mandate is only for people who go into their buildings. Tucker can say whatever he wants. That being said, he is definitely vaccinated, as is literally every member of Congress, etc.

tenor.gif

This article describes some of the recent challenges to the false narratives promoted by hacks like Jordan Peterson who seek to naturalize inequality through biased “observations” of other species’ behaviors:

It’s worth the read.

Those interested in de Waal and Cooke’s recent titles would also do well to familiarize themselves with the work of Donna Haraway.
"If our experience is of domination, we will theorize our lives according to principles of dominance. As we transform the foundations of our lives, we will know how to build natural sciences to underpin new relations with the world.”

man is a true Republican

I don’t know who still needs to hear this in 2022, but billionaires are not your friends.

Elon Musk has the aspirations of an eight-year-old, the sensibilities of a 13-year-old, and the self-control of a two-year-old.

PhonyStark.gif

Mans could do his usual "Elite cultural progressives" schtick so he is in the 'Musk buys Twitter thread" talking about he likes Elon because his company gave in fast internet

Mans went "Trump tax cuts gonna get me da Cuban link" on us
In an attention economy, there's a unique incentive for “clever moderate” takes that simultaneously condescends “both sides.”

It's not a coincidence that they invariably manage to sound like click-bait.

“The liberal orthodoxy maintains that the Holocaust really happened. Deniers think it didn't. Here's what they both get wrong.”

It's disappointing, but never surprising, to see literal rent-seekers opt for the likely tax break over the uncertain prospect of a functional government capable of facilitating a more just and equitable society.

One of the things I most appreciate about The Sum of Us is that it so effectively explains the concept of the public and psychological wage for contemporary audiences using the theory of “last place aversion.”

Through this lens, we don't have to rely on threadbare tropes about “economic anxiety” to see working class conservatives as rational actors. It's not that they've been manipulated against their own self-interests so much as they've narrowly fixated on instant self-gratification.

It's easier to pass the marshmallow test when you're not hungry.

Democrats tend to sell voters on what they stand to gain, Republicans on what they stand to lose.

If you're a White, cishet, male, Christian, natural-born American citizen, or any combination thereof, Republicans will tell you that your source of status is under assault. When White Virginians opted to close their own public schools rather than integrate, it cannot be reasonably claimed that they failed to understand the choice they'd made, that they'd been "tricked" into choosing their status over public education.

Every election has become a recurring prisoner's dilemma in which we risk being sold out by those who would choose short-term gain and status over the promise of more distant and collective benefits.
The challenge of our time is convincing people to place their faith in a "solidarity dividend" when the benefits of the "selfishness dividend" can seem so much more immediate.

We had a physical example here (which is trite I know compared to things like equality but I thought it was interesting). Our roads are pretty terrible in my city - potholes everywhere and just poor patch job after poor patch job. A Swiss engineer came to the city and said that for twice what we pay for roads which last 5 years he could make them last at least 25.

I've never been to Switzerland but I understand that they have good roads - and they obviously have a reputation for quality work in a couple of fields so that makes sense to me.

That was rejected - because the people who run the city only have a term of a few years - so if they spent double the money on roads they would all be voted out next time after their opposition called for blood and pointed out in headlines how much money they'd wasted and they could do it cheaper...

So what do they do? Nothing - just continue to patch roads in the same crappy way because that's the status quo.

Back
Top Bottom