***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Random thought after skimming an Atlantic article.

But Democrats should focus on hurting car dealerships.

Allow manufacturers to sell direct to customers, put a cap on mark-ups, mandate a national database so people can compare prices.

It will help consumers materially, and it hurt a major source of money for conservative candidates

Owners get hurt, but worker jobs get somewhat protected by transferring them to be employees of the manufacturers.

Last edited:

Allow manufacturers to sell direct to customers, put a cap on mark-ups, mandate a national database so people can compare prices.

It will help consumers materially, and it hurt a major source of money for conservative candidates

Owners get hurt, but worker jobs get somewhat protected by transferring them to be employees of the manufacturers.

I feel like doing away with car salespeople and dealership scams would be a huge boon to the collective morale of all adults. Sales jobs in general seem to attract the worst kinds of people and those who benefit the most from it are those that can best take advantage of and swindle people. If car manufacturers could switch over to a more direct-to-consumer model with a focus on service centers instead of shysters pushing add-ons, financing scams, and extended warranties, seems like it would be a net positive. But there is probably too much old-money generational wealth tied up in dealerships and dealership groups that have a controlling interest in a lot of communities of all sizes, preventing such changes from happening. Also, where would all of the scummy car salespeople go? On to some other means of scamming people? I'm no conspiracy theorist, but car dealerships and mattress stores always felt like money laundering or tax evasion schemes.

From what I gather mattress stores seem like fronts because of
their low traffic but they’re able to survive due to their crazy margins.

Having said that, I just bought a new mattress last year and dude was shady as he’ll. That reputation was earned.

I get the intent. I worry that it will make regular warranty claims and extended warranty claims a disaster, though. In a lot of cases, they already are. I fear that cars bought directly from manufacturers won't get the service that cars bought from a dealership would.

From what I gather mattress stores seem like fronts because of
their low traffic but they’re able to survive due to their crazy margins.

Having said that, I just bought a new mattress last year and dude was shady as he’ll. That reputation was earned.

Mattresses are one of the most infrequently bought "major" purchases, so it stands to reason they have high margins. The stores can be staffed by one person, too. Also, you can haggle like crazy with them. I told the dude at Mattress Firm I wasn't looking to spend more than about $1200, and a $4500 BeautyRest Black Hybrid magically became $1200 when I was offered a floor model. Perfect condition after almost five years.

I got a purple with da grid. It was like 3-4k for everything. I can’t remember. But the pillows were like 100 or 200 a pop as well.

1685594269998.png

Guarantee this is happening nowhere in this country. Dude hitting all the weasel words like his hero.
It does happen - some teachers have included this during their first week activity questionnaires i.e. “What is your preferred name? What is your preferred pronoun? What activities are you involved in…”

It happens at my school, in a very red district, and happens at many other schools. Don’t care either way (don’t/won’t do it), but just want to provide some insight from someone on the ground. I have learned to generally avoid gendered pronouns where there may be issues.

It does happen - some teachers have included this during their first week activity questionnaires i.e. “What is your preferred name? What is your preferred pronoun? What activities are you involved in…”

It happens at my school, in a very red district, and happens at many other schools. Don’t care either way (don’t/won’t do it), but just want to provide some insight from someone on the ground. I have learned to generally avoid gendered pronouns where there may be issues.

Characterizing someone providing someone the opportunity to express a preference as “forcing them to choose” isn’t exactly honest.

I hate that restaurant because the waiters force you to choose a meal.
My wife always forces me to choose how high to se the thermostat.

Back
Top Bottom