***Official Political Discussion Thread***

[thread="509493"]Quote:[/thread]
I feel like the Democrats are going to see a big swing in next year's elections a la GOP in 2010. Control of House and Senate, and shutting down the WH for 2 years before regaining the WH in 2020. IF, and only if, Trump isn't impeached before then.
Most importantly, we need people to take this anger and get out there and vote. This is the main reason why we lost the congress in 2010
Well, that and the GOP finessing the congressional district redrawing. But yeah, the '18 midterms are going to be crucial to the next couple of decades. If the GOP holds on and has impunity to implement more voter suppression laws, continue to redraw districts, and support the xenophobic, anti-minority ideologies of Trump and Bannon, the GOP will give themselves ultimate control of the House, and make it that much easier to hold onto the Senate and WH.

Last edited:
The tea party movement got candidates in office (even if it was Koch funded) . These protests aren't going to mean anything if there isn't a collective effort to politically organize. But I must admit that I've seen a level of mobilization that I haven't seen with BLM or DAPL

Last edited:
In Banana Republic of America news...
@BrianKlaas: The Secretary of Homeland Security found out that the Muslim ban executive order was being signed by watching TV. https://t.co/msEsiIRFPH

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/...top-news&_r=0&referer=https://t.co/1HlMKa0NZq
Jesus the ****show never ends :rofl:

Last edited:
This anger and fight is great now but it has to carry to November 2018. People in PA were pissed about the budget and everything but that anger fizzled and as a result the cats that put us in a budge impasse got reelected.

This anger and fight is great now but it has to carry to November 2018. People in PA were pissed about the budget and everything but that anger fizzled and as a result the cats that put us in a budge impasse got reelected.
You live in philly?

The tea party movement got candidates in office (even if it was Koch funded) . These protests aren't going to mean anything if there isn't a collective effort to politically organize. But I must admit that I've seen a level of mobilization that I haven't seen with BLM or DAPL
Agreed! But I think both the BLM and DAPL movements need visible leaders. IMO, BLM became less effective because there was no leadership to push back against the " all lives matter " and " blue lives matter " deflection. There needs to be some sort of centralized leadership to set an adgenda going forward in the future. 

It's been hard given all the usual corruption in many countries but ever since the AU formed in 2001,I'd say things have slowly gotten much better in terms of development and even political stability imo. Just a week or 2 ago,West African states exercised the will of the people and forced out the dictator in Gambia after he lost the elections and wouldn't let go of power. Feels like there's been more successful transitions of power throughout the continent recently and I'm hoping that the stability that comes from that will help countries and their economies grow and even take advantage of globalization instead of being taken advantage of by great powers like usual.

It really would be great to some of the talent that could be leaving the States over the next few years going back home to help their countries out. Africa is way too loaded with an abundance of natural resources for none of the rewards to ever go back to Africans :smh:
You on point today(except for in the footy thread).

Well seems every day the president gives us something new to fuel the fire, so doubt the anger will be able to dissipate. And he hasn't won't even affect the economy really for the 1st year.

OWS was not on this scale.

You're on your revisionist ****. It was. Daily coverage. And they kept that **** going for a minute. Then it fizzled because they had no real end goal. Had Elizabeth Warren out there championing them. They were definitely a movement the likes of the left never seen before.

Occupy was a mixture of people though. Majority of the people that were part of the movement actually had no political affiliation.

Another revisionist. Downplaying the Occupy movement because they failed to turn the anger into political gain.

I can't wait to hear the excuses when dems fail to show up this year and next year.

OWS was not on this scale.

You're on your revisionist ****. It was. Daily coverage. And they kept that **** going for a minute. Then it fizzled because they had no real end goal. Had Elizabeth Warren out there championing them. They were definitely a movement the likes of the left never seen before.

How are you even comparing OWS, which is NY based ,to the WORLDWIDE #'s that these protests have garnered?

What's happened (protest-wise) over the past 10 days has been nothing short of historic. This is just the tip of the iceberg. People are heated and want change.

It definitely wasn't. Look at the protests after the inauguration. Not just here but AROUND THE WORLD and the protests going on currently about the Muslim ban. Not comparable imo

It's literally been a few days. Occupy was months long. You can't even make a comparison at this point.

Pittsburgh, why u ask?

I'm from Jersey but I work in Philly. Alot of budget cuts have seen alot of people lose their jobs here.

Funny, my boy is from Philly but works in Jersey :lol:

But yea, our government screwed us over. Nonproifts had to take out loans to pay bills, schools shut down until money came in, people lost jobs, etc. And these same people got reelected, some was because they didn't have anyone running against them. Same crap on the national level. No way Toomey should've been reelected, dude is a spineless coward and a snake. Our budget right now isn't gon balance so we'll see what happens come June.

How's things w/ yall budget? My boy said Chunky boy screwed yall over as well, hiring freezes in some fields and all that.

How are you even comparing OWS, which is NY based ,to the WORLDWIDE #'s that these protests have garnered?

What's happened (protest-wise) over the past 10 days has been nothing short of historic. This is just the tip of the iceberg. People are heated and want change.

Occupy was global it just started in NYC. Maybe you weren't into politics at the time so you just don't know.

It's literally been a few days. Occupy was months long. You can't even make a comparison at this point.
So why are you? Again so far in scale and scope the current protests going on are much bigger than OWS ever was. Even then there was much ambiguity about OWS that made it unsuccessful as in it's implementation and what it set out to accomplish. I can't speak anymore on the current protests because like you said it has only been going on for a little over a week.

Occupy was a mixture of people though. Majority of the people that were part of the movement actually had no political affiliation.

Another revisionist. Downplaying the Occupy movement because they failed to turn the anger into political gain.

I can't wait to hear the excuses when dems fail to show up this year and next year.

http://occupywallst.org/article/70-percent-ows-supporters-independent/

70% of them were independent

Back
Top Bottom