***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Agreed! But I think both the BLM and DAPL movements need visible leaders. IMO, BLM became less effective because there was no leadership to push back against the " all lives matter " and " blue lives matter " deflection. There needs to be some sort of centralized leadership to set an adgenda going forward in the future. 
I don't think it's down to leadership more than it is, resources, connections, mobilization, and the majority being on your side. There is massive support being garnered across the country on this issue that hasn't been given to BLM or DAPL. You've got government agencies, politicians, and entire industries lending support right now.

And yet you don't see a leader anywhere.

So why are you? Again so far in scale and scope the current protests going on are much bigger than OWS ever was. Even then there was much ambiguity about OWS that made it unsuccessful as in it's implementation and what it set out to accomplish. I can't speak anymore on the current protests because like you said it has only been going on for a little over a week.

I said that I'm basing my claim that these protests won't lead to any real change on Occupy. That's the only modern movement I can make a comparison to. It's just a prediction. The only reason this debate is still going on is that people in here are now trying to downplay Occupy to use it as a reason why it didn't get any traction and it's simply not true.

(close to the peak)

Source: https://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytim...of-occupying-wall-street-and-everywhere-else/

Women's March - http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/21/politics/one-million-marchers-outside-washington/

Reacho with the alternative facts.

What alternative facts? I've said time and time again the politics of anything is my arena. So I truly hope you have some real bullets in the clip before you attempt to send shots at me when it comes to this.

Agreed! But I think both the BLM and DAPL movements need visible leaders. IMO, BLM became less effective because there was no leadership to push back against the " all lives matter " and " blue lives matter " deflection. There needs to be some sort of centralized leadership to set an adgenda going forward in the future. 

I don't think it's down to leadership more than it is, resources, connections, mobilization, and the majority being on your side. There is massive support being garnered across the country on this issue that hasn't been given to BLM or DAPL. You've got government agencies, politicians, and entire industries lending support right now.

And yet you don't see a leader anywhere.

Yea I don't agree with the need for centralized leadership as long as there's backing from all angles like you mentioned,the former is usually the easiest way to kill a movement imo.

It's been hard given all the usual corruption in many countries but ever since the AU formed in 2001,I'd say things have slowly gotten much better in terms of development and even political stability imo. Just a week or 2 ago,West African states exercised the will of the people and forced out the dictator in Gambia after he lost the elections and wouldn't let go of power. Feels like there's been more successful transitions of power throughout the continent recently and I'm hoping that the stability that comes from that will help countries and their economies grow and even take advantage of globalization instead of being taken advantage of by great powers like usual.

It really would be great to some of the talent that could be leaving the States over the next few years going back home to help their countries out. Africa is way too loaded with an abundance of natural resources for none of the rewards to ever go back to Africans :smh:
You on point today(except for in the footy thread).
:rofl:

It's a way different story in that thread :lol:

Last edited:
You're the only one making that assumption. I think the majority of us are just talking about the numbers, which while not as long obviously are dwarfed by what's happened in the past 9 days.

New executive order
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/...one-new-regulation-two-must-be-revoked-234365

You ever wanted to open a small business? Now is the time.
95% of small businesses fail within 5 years.

and that's how it's supposed to be. life and success follow a power law and only those 2 standard deviations above the average will be providing an innovative good or service at the quality that people in a free market will want to spend money on.

yes we can bump it from 5 to 6 or 7 or maybe even 10% that will succeed, but let's be honest here: most people who try to start a business will FAIL.

welcome to capitalism, my comrade!

Yea I don't agree with the need for centralized leadership as long as there's backing from all angles like you mentioned,the former is usually the easiest way to kill a movement imo.
roll.gif

It's a way different story in that thread
laugh.gif
what happens in the footy thread stays in the footy thread lmaoo  

Funny, my boy is from Philly but works in Jersey
laugh.gif

But yea, our government screwed us over. Nonproifts had to take out loans to pay bills, schools shut down until money came in, people lost jobs, etc. And these same people got reelected, some was because they didn't have anyone running against them. Same crap on the national level. No way Toomey should've been reelected, dude is a spineless coward and a snake. Our budget right now isn't gon balance so we'll see what happens come June.

How's things w/ yall budget? My boy said Chunky boy screwed yall over as well, hiring freezes in some fields and all that.
It be like that sometimes
laugh.gif

Man, it's been a financial nightmare in the city. Schools all over the city are closing, teachers are losing their tenure and being fired,  and the city is trying to negotiate paying people on a rolling basis to save money. Not to mention they passed the sugar tax law putting an extra tax on soft drinks. Not to mention officials like Fattah out here stealing money and giving contracts to campaign donors.

Meanwhile unemployment is high and gentrification is starting to kick off. So many of my friends have been effected by whats going on in the city. A few of them are thinking about moving.

It's almost like the independent rico wants nothing to change and hopes people that protest won't vote in 2018.

Lets be honest. This will fizzle and collapse like every single other liberal protest movement. Have fun while it lasts
Lets be honest. This will fizzle and collapse like every single other liberal protest movement. Have fun while it lasts

Spoken like a true white supremacist :lol:

The civil rights movement, women's rights movements, LGBTQ rights movement were all "liberal protest movements".....

But conservatives are still actively trying to destroy those movements.

That's the real issue.

Back
Top Bottom