***Official Political Discussion Thread***

DVr4--YVAAEFk-a.jpg:orig

It’s about kicking out as many coloreds as possible so they can get their country back.

maybe i'm missing something, did you actually read the article? it would seem the person that tweeted the response did not...homie had been appealing his immigration status for 20 years, and in that time there has been little movement in terms of legislation that addresses the many people in this country that share a similar status. enforcement seems to have been haphazard & subject to the directive(s) of whatever/whoever party/person is in control of various houses/office of the president...

blaming trump for this is convenient, for our collective stagnation (as a country) on really addressing immigration reform let it get to this point...

Brought here when she was 3. Kids, marriage, tries to do the right thing and legitimize her residency in this country and is punished for it. Her entire family is punished for it :smh:

maybe i'm missing something, did you actually read the article? it would seem the person that tweeted the response did not...homie had been appealing his immigration status for 20 years, and in that time there has been little movement in terms of legislation that addresses the many people in this country that share a similar status. enforcement seems to have been haphazard & subject to the directive(s) of whatever/whoever party/person is in control of various houses/office of the president...

blaming trump for this is convenient, for our collective stagnation (as a country) on really addressing immigration reform let it get to this point...

Speaking generally....

The Democrats have been ready to cut an immigration deal now for a while. Every time it has been tanked by a handful of Republicans. It has been the GOP that demands cuts to the State Department administrative arm that could get legal immigrants processed.

Trump could order ICE to hold off and call for an immigration deal. Instead, he put a figurative gun to the head of Dreamers and wanted people to pick between them and future otherwise legal immigrants. And you can't see the difference that under another president he was allowed to stay, but ICE under Trump is forcing him out. That shows the Trump administration is different than other administrations.

It cost my family thousands of dollars and years of our lives to get a green card for my sister and I. It didn't get my naturalization papers, until seven years after I qualified to be a citizen. I have been through the logjam myself. I from my point of view, we as a country need to call out the ones that refuse to come to sense on the immigration issue and shame them into doing the right thing, the adult thing.

Everyone doesn't have to take the blame for the buffoonery of hardcore conservatives or Donald Trump. This is not both sides issue. There are those willing to address the issue (many Republicans too) but xenophobes and white nationalist like Trump that hold things up.

Last edited:
dude is equating “little movement in legislation” to being ripped away from his loved ones. c’mon man. what a load of crap.

my co-worker is facing deportation. he’s been here since he was a kid and now they want to send him back to samoa where he doesn’t even know one person. it’s never been an issue until trump took office and started turning the screws.

It cost my family thousands of dollars and years of our lives to get a green card for my sister and I. It didn't get my naturalization papers, until seven years after I qualified to be a citizen

Can anybody guess how much it costs to apply for residency through your citizen spouse?

800 for the application fees for a card valid for 2 years - conditional card - and 700 two years later to remove the conditions. That does NOT include:
- lawyer fees (in the thousands)
- time off from work/school
- expenses when traveling to the interview
- misc costs to gather the proper documents/pictures/etc...

Then you gotta apply for citizenship, which is another couple thousand dollars to the immigration services, and that's THE EASIEST/CHEAPEST way to become a US citizen if you're not born here.

But mofos driving with with expired registrations ($100 a year) stay talking about "wHy dIDn't TheY juSt GEt thEIr citIZeNsHiP?"

Can anybody guess how much it costs to apply for residency through your citizen spouse?

800 for the application fees for a card valid for 2 years - conditional card - and 700 two years later to remove the conditions. That does NOT include:

Then you gotta apply for citizenship, which is another couple thousand dollars to the immigration services, and that's THE EASIEST/CHEAPEST way to become a US citizen if you're not born here.

But mofos driving with with expired registrations ($100 a year) stay talking about "wHy dIDn't TheY juSt GEt thEIr citIZeNsHiP?"

Also, this notion that legal immigration is just a lifestyle choice is perpetuated by large numbers of affluent immigrants from the global south. We got way too many white Latinos, African people, Pinoys, Indians, Lebanese and East Asians who had relative affluence and access in their homelands coming to the US and talking bad about about poor undocumented immigrants.

Thus, they add to the native born and white narrative that all one needs to do is stand in a line and get a few documents signed in order to come here.

Brought here when she was 3. Kids, marriage, tries to do the right thing and legitimize her residency in this country and is punished for it. Her entire family is punished for it :smh:

I hope that she didn’t vote for Trump

Speaking generally....

The Democrats have been ready to cut an immigration deal now for a while. Every time it has been tanked by a handful of Republicans. It has been the GOP that demands cuts to the State Department administrative arm that could get legal immigrants processed.

Trump could order ICE to hold off and call for an immigration deal. Instead, he put a figurative gun to the head of Dreamers and wanted people to pick between them and future otherwise legal immigrants. And you can't see the difference that under another president he was allowed to stay, but ICE under Trump is forcing him out. That shows the Trump administration is different than other administrations.

It cost my family thousands of dollars and years of our lives to get a green card for my sister and I. It didn't get my naturalization papers, until seven years after I qualified to be a citizen. I have been through the logjam myself. I from my point of view, we as a country need to call out the ones that refuse to come to sense on the immigration issue and shame them into doing the right thing, the adult thing.

Everyone doesn't have to take the blame for the buffoonery of hardcore conservatives or Donald Trump. This is not both sides issue. There are those willing to address the issue (many Republicans too) but xenophobes and white nationalist like Trump that hold things up.

it may be the case that conservatives have been the impediment to reform, but the fact remains reform is still unaddressed; collective stagnation may be too generous in that context but that the issue of immigration reform has ebbed in & out of political discourse does say something about the nation's resolve on the matter as a whole...and the fact also remains that for the man in question, according to the text, over the duration of the 20 years he was appealing his status never changed (he was granted stays or), how his status was treated was subject to however the administration(s) at the time choose to enforce immigrants of such status, it is super unfortunate that it people's lives in such a precarious limbo, but i suppose being in such a position one would have to know that deportation is a possibility given the unsettled nature of any legislation, no?

dude is equating “little movement in legislation” to being ripped away from his loved ones. c’mon man. what a load of crap.

my co-worker is facing deportation. he’s been here since he was a kid and now they want to send him back to samoa where he doesn’t even know one person. it’s never been an issue until trump took office and started turning the screws.

hopefully daca stays in place for people like your co-worker...hopefully there is broader immigration reform in general

I find Americans are largely ignorant to the immigration process anyways. That's why we're here and the Trump admin can ramp up the negativity.

sure, it is an issue that rarely affects most americans in any concrete way, it is an abstraction for most...my parents aren't from here and they rarely ever talked of it, my mother isn't from this country and has 24 siblings, many of whom have immigrated here to the states as well, under a myriad of circumstances...

Also, this notion that legal immigration is just a lifestyle choice is perpetuated by large numbers of affluent immigrants from the global south. We got way too many white Latinos, African people, Pinoys, Indians, Lebanese and East Asians who had relative affluence and access in their homelands coming to the US and talking bad about about poor undocumented immigrants.

Thus, they add to the native born and white narrative that all one needs to do is stand in a line and get a few documents signed in order to come here.

i don't know if i fall into either narrative, it just seems pretty reasonable to me that if one immigrates to another country without proper paperwork or process, that deportation is a reality one would have know is possible...to be honest i'm not really aware of the proposed solutions for people who have been here undocumented for years? what, if any, are the proposed solutions? maybe more employer sponsorships?

it may be the case that conservatives have been the impediment to reform, but the fact remains reform is still unaddressed; collective stagnation may be too generous in that context but that the issue of immigration reform has ebbed in & out of political discourse does say something about the nation's resolve on the matter as a whole...and the fact also remains that for the man in question, according to the text, over the duration of the 20 years he was appealing his status never changed (he was granted stays or), how his status was treated was subject to however the administration(s) at the time choose to enforce immigrants of such status, it is super unfortunate that it people's lives in such a precarious limbo, but i suppose being in such a position one would have to know that deportation is a possibility given the unsettled nature of any legislation, no?

hopefully daca stays in place for people like your co-worker...hopefully there is broader immigration reform in general

sure, it is an issue that rarely affects most americans in any concrete way, it is an abstraction for most...my parents aren't from here and they rarely ever talked of it, my mother isn't from this country and has 24 siblings, many of whom have immigrated here to the states as well, under a myriad of circumstances...

i don't know if i fall into either narrative, it just seems pretty reasonable to me that if one immigrates to another country without proper paperwork or process, that deportation is a reality one would have know is possible...to be honest i'm not really aware of the proposed solutions for people who have been here undocumented for years? what, if any, are the proposed solutions? maybe more employer sponsorships?
Then the fact should be that they get most of the blame. I am tired of people that are ready and willing to address issues face the country getting equal blame for a select few causing the roadblocks. Let us stop conflating the groups just to spread out the blame.

This is the problem with America, especially the right, that they only chose to govern when things reach a crisis. Immigration should not become a national crisis for them to find the will to do something. This could have been fixed a while ago. Look at DACA; we might only get immigration reform because Trump created a crisis for those people. A large number of people have wanted to address this issues to be addressed.

Regarding this dude, sure it should have been known it is a possibility of deportation, but that really speaks to a horrible habit many Americans have developed. Because the GOP refuses to act and are views the lives of most Americans as expendable, they have trained the nation to accept their vile actions. Look to other places we tell people to expect the worst from the GOP. Healthcare, civil rights, environment, etc. Maybe the question we should be asking as a nation is why do we continuously view the heartless actions of conservatives and the GOP as "just another way of doing things". It didn't use to be like that, this GOP was not this bad 15,30,50 years ago. Like as a nation when do we demand them to stop and be reasonable. Why do we always expect the person getting screwed over by them to take it in stride instead of demanding better from them? Stop with the white nationalism and be reasonable.

And the solution to people that are in a grey area gives them legal status unless they are violent criminals. Like why do we as a country have to go through so many mental gymnastics to address issues? Just let these people stay. Grant them legal status, a path to citizenship, and be done with it. Why do we need them to go to their employer and write a long letter about how no American can do their job. Give these people attached to their communities and following all other laws except being documented, a damn break.

And I am certain it goes back to white nationalism that we as a country avoid addressing. Also the fear from the political right that they have been so ****ty to these people for so long, that one day they will be punished at the polls. Let us not forget to use undocumented immigrants as scapegoats for our bad labor policies. Telling poor blacks and middle class whites that hasn't been near 50 years of bad neoliberalism and white supremacy that has then in economic shambles, but Hector and his boys are the issue.

Like why can't we address what incentivizes undocumented immigrants to come to America in the first place, address that, and show people a little heart. We sure do have no issue giving other folk breaks in this country. Like affluent whites, corporations, and Wall Street firms.

America needs to start acting like the damb country it claims to be. Being hostile to immigrants goes directly against that.

Last edited:

Brah people have no idea. The fees are disgusting and keep jumping because the State Department is not properly funded, so they are used to patch budget holes.

People actually think it is like it is the equivalent to couple trips to the DMV.

On the aggregate, I would say that my family, friends and people from my island are left wing (in an American sense). But damn do some of them say from ignorant, heartless **** on many America issues. South America immigration being one of them.

The argument always has me like "so just because your family had the funds to go through the embassy, (which is so expensive because it is on another island) or had the resources to pool together $10,000 to pay someone to marry you, you think that makes you better than the poor South American immigrant that risked his/her life to come to America?". And it hurts because some of these dudes I gave money to survive when they decided to overstay their visas and were struggling in places like Flatbush Brooklyn.

Classism got some folk all kinds of spun around. Anything to look down on someone else, they grab. Best piece of advice I got was from my aunt who told me that "there will come times when people, mainly white people, mainly conservative white people, will tell you that they like me and I am special or because I am different. They will act like it is a compliment. It is not". Basically, they are telling me to look down on African Americans and undocumented immigrants, and I should not fall for that trick. I just wish more immigrants would take such advice, especially those from Lucia.

But some of these fools be outchea eating buttered mangoes and spewing ignorance.

Last edited:
In the eminently useful book Lies My Teacher Told Me the author laments the fact that Americans easily forget about recent history. Precise knowledge of our recent history is critical to understand the extent that GOP recalcitrance and radicalism has been rewarded. In the 1980's, 1990's and even the 2000's (prior to Obama's election in 2008 to be precise) the GOP was more moderate. Not because they wanted to be but because that is where the agreed upon center was.

A prime example of this relatively recent rightward drift is the fact that the 2006, George W. Bush backed McCain-Kennedy immigration legislation is arguable more liberal than Chuck Schumer's opening position in these 2018 DACA negotiations.

In 2006, the right wing developed a new magic word to kill any talk of immigration reform, amnesty. Amnesty became a new dirty word. In a country that gave Amnesty to Confederates and Nazis, Amnesty for brown people, who pick lettuce and take care of the children of the wealthy, became radioactive. Worst of all, Democrats obliged conservatives by reassuring the public that even the most liberal immigration bill would not contain Amnesty.

So to the extent that there is blame for both sides it falls on Democrats obliging the vile, racist rhetoric of the GOP. But let us be clear, the GOP is the lead partner in this and they deserve the blame for our broken immigration system and much, much more.

I'd like to see part of the platform of democrat candidates in 2018 be allowing these people the F back into the country they were raised in

People have to be weak as well to be so heartless

Regarding this dude, sure it should have been known it is a possibility of deportation, but that really speaks to a horrible habit many Americans have developed. Because the GOP refuses to act and are views the lives of most Americans as expendable, they have trained the nation to accept their vile actions. Look to other places we tell people to expect the worst from the GOP. Healthcare, civil rights, environment, etc. Maybe the question we should be asking as a nation is why do we continuously view the heartless actions of conservatives and the GOP as "just another way of doing things". It didn't use to be like that, this GOP was not this bad 15,30,50 years ago. Like as a nation when do we demand them to stop and be reasonable. Why do we always expect the person getting screwed over by them to take it in stride instead of demanding better from them? Stop with the white nationalism and be reasonable.

And the solution to people that are in a grey area gives them legal status unless they are violent criminals. Like why do we as a country have to go through so many mental gymnastics to address issues? Just let these people stay. Grant them legal status, a path to citizenship, and be done with it. Why do we need them to go to their employer and write a long letter about how no American can do their job. Give these people attached to their communities and following all other laws expect being documented a damn break.

does it though? i have to re-read the story but i thought his status changed due to his ex-wife saying the marriage was fake (i think she later recanted, saying she was pressured)...do other countries offer similar status to people who over stay visas or 'illegally' immigrate? i know there exists a vocal "keep murica, christian & white" contingent but i would think most folk are like these are the rules, and these are the consequences camp...if someone knowingly built a life & family in a country the immigrated to by either by managing to 'evade' being caught or by some bureaucratic oversight, i don't understand how it is necessarily callous to say, even if that someone were an exemplary citizen the whole time, there should exist some penalty for it. i don't think it should be necessarily be deportation...but something...

isn't the problem with demanding being reasonable, agreeing on what exactly is reasonable? especially when it requires people concede and cede their comfort, privilege, etc....

wouldn't that be an easy pass going forward, like why would anyone apply for legal status then? as much as i am tempted to think the solution is to have some outline of combination of minimum requirements (education, being employed, and/or having family ties in the states) outline and some monetary fee/penalty that could be adjusted or paid over time, that too would probably disadvantage many & may be untenable given that most immigrants are maybe not financially stable...

So to the extent that there is blame for both sides it falls on Democrats obliging the vile, racist rhetoric of the GOP. But let us be clear, the GOP is the lead partner in this and they deserve the blame for our broken immigration system and much, much more.

it is very disturbing how the center has become so conservative, but it definitely seem to be the case that the conservative parts of this country are waaay more concerned/upset about these issues than progressives; and thus maybe status quo ends up the best outcome in such a circumstance...

Back
Top Bottom