***Official Political Discussion Thread***

The person I was talking to literally conceded that it happens, but it is "unintentional." He distinguished it. What you're doing is mischaracterizing what transpired. Nuance is important.
Wrong again. Children are NEVER just left with no plan of action. Matter of fact once the parents are released no matter WHAT the charge outside of abuse the kids go back.

Again, NOTHING like what’s happening at the boarder and to add to that the people working there are quoted on saying losing their kids is a form of punishment. Your argument was garbage to begin with and the facts you based them on were pulled out of your ***

Trump Meets with Governors about Prison Reform

https://www.voanews.com/a/trump-mee...address-prison-reform-recidivism/4522509.html

A good step in the right direction
"The bill focuses solely on the federal prison system, which is only a small part of the overall U.S. prison system. Critics say the bill does not address the main causes of mass incarceration: prison sentences that are too long, and too many incarcerated people. For example, the bill would not reduce or limit mandatory minimum sentences for minor drugs offenses."

As the old black proverb goes , I see better than I hear. The AG is staunchly against changing mandatory minimums, and has made it his mission to ramp up his war against drugs campaign.

Wrong again. Children are NEVER just left with no plan of action. Matter of fact once the parents are released no matter WHAT the charge outside of abuse the kids go back.

Again, NOTHING like what’s happening at the boarder and to add to that the people working there are quoted on saying losing their kids is a form of punishment.

K

"The bill focuses solely on the federal prison system, which is only a small part of the overall U.S. prison system. Critics say the bill does not address the main causes of mass incarceration: prison sentences that are too long, and too many incarcerated people. For example, the bill would not reduce or limit mandatory minimum sentences for minor drugs offenses."

As the old black proverb goes , I see better than I hear. The AG is staunchly against changing mandatory minimums, and has made it his mission to ramp up his war against drugs campaign.

All reasons I said a "step" in the right direction. Certainly more to be done in regards to prison reform and mass incarceration.

The most efficient way to address prison reform is to be proactive. Keep folks out of prison in the first place. Narrow the wealth gap and re-establish the middle class. Most crime is directly correlated to poverty. Real progress would be attacking the problem at its root, not putting band aids on it after the fact. Not saying education and training don't help, but I've worked in prisons and it's a revolving door even for inmates with access to a plethora of programs.

Last edited:
Surely nothing to hide there. Lost his attempt to block the subpoena and now continues to refuse orders to testify before the grand jury.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...6e177f3081c_story.html?utm_term=.56480cde6399
Judge holds Roger Stone associate in contempt for refusing to testify in Russia investigation
A federal judge has found a witness in contempt for refusing to testify before the grand jury hearing evidence in special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

U.S. District Chief Judge Beryl Howell made the ruling Friday after a sealed hearing to discuss Andrew Miller’s refusal to appear before the grand jury. Miller is a former aide to longtime Trump confidant Roger Stone.
Miller’s lawyer Paul Kamenar said after the hearing that Miller was “held in contempt, which we asked him to be in order for us to appeal the judge’s decision to the court of appeals.”

Howell stayed her order while Miller’s legal team appeals the judge’s decision.

Miller lost a court battle earlier this month to quash a subpoena, after Howell issued a 93-page opinion saying Miller must testify before the grand jury.

Kamenar said he believes Miller’s challenge could ultimately rise to the Supreme Court.

“None of these questions are easy,” the lawyer said, adding that the appeal was designed to challenge the constitutionality of Mueller’s appointment, not slow or obstruct the investigation.

A hearing transcript from June 18 shows Miller was subpoenaed for information about Stone as well as key figures in the 2016 hacking of the Democratic National Committee, and the public release of Democrats’ emails during the campaign.

According to that transcript, the subpoena seeks information from Miller about the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks and its leader, Julian Assange. WikiLeaks published large volumes of hacked Democrats’ emails during the campaign.

The subpoena also seeks information about Guccifer 2.0 and DCLeaks. Investigators say both were online fronts invented by Russian intelligence operatives to spread the hacked documents. DCLeaks was a website that posted hacked emails of current and former U.S. officials and political aides, while Guccifer 2.0 claimed to be a Romanian hacker.

Miller had asked for “some grant of immunity” specifically regarding financial transactions involving political action committees for which he assisted Stone, according to Alicia Dearn, an attorney for Miller.

On that issue, Miller “would be asserting” his Fifth Amendment right to refuse to answer questions, Dearn said.

As for the hacking and WikiLeaks questions, Dearn said at the hearing, “we don’t believe he has any information” about those topics.

Peter Flaherty, chairman of the National Legal and Policy Center, a conservative nonprofit that is funding Miller’s legal fight, said Miller is in Missouri.

When a subpoenaed witness refuses to testify before a grand jury, that person can be held in contempt. In some cases, such a contempt finding can lead to a witness being sent to jail until the person agrees to testify.

Mueller is investigating whether any of Trump’s associates conspired with Russia’s efforts to influence the election. Stone has faced scrutiny in part because of a series of public statements and tweets he made during the 2016 campaign appearing to suggest he had advance knowledge of the hacked emails released by WikiLeaks. The emails’ publication embarrassed Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton and helped disrupt the race.

U.S. intelligence agencies have concluded the Russian government was behind the hacking of the material from the Democratic Party and the personal email account of Clinton’s campaign chairman, John Podesta. A grand jury indicted 12 Russian military officers in July for orchestrating the hacks.

Miller worked for Stone during the 2016 presidential campaign, handling duties such as setting up media interviews. He is one of at least a half-dozen of Stone’s associates to be called to testify. Others include his driver, John Kakanis, and a social media consultant, Jason Sullivan. Kristin Davis, who gained notoriety in the 2000s as the “Manhattan Madam” when she ran a high-end prostitution ring, is also expected to testify to the grand jury.

Stone has accused Mueller’s team of harassing his associates.

Last edited:
Hell no to a potential Avenatti run. He should stick to being a lawyer or try running for smaller office. After Trump I’d prefer a competent experienced president who can repair the rift between US allies and the US that Trump has caused.

Though to be fair, anyone remotely competent with the slightest bit of integrity and who isn’t a senile demented walking embarassment for mankind will do for me.

Hell no to a potential Avenatti run. He should stick to being a lawyer or try running for smaller office. After Trump I’d prefer a competent experienced president who can repair the rift between US allies and the US that Trump has caused.

Though to be fair, anyone with the slightest bit of integrity who isn’t an ignorant senile demented walking embarassment for mankind will do for me.

I’ll vote for any functioning adult if it means Trump gets outta the paint. I would not prefer someone like Avenatti. But if that happened to be who were stuck with, I’m riding for that man like no other.

Killer Mike could be the nominee and have Susan Sarandon as VP and I’d be driving strangers to the polls to cast votes for them. My disgust for Donny and his ilk far outweighs my loathing of those two.

No, what is YOUR definition of it, as you understand it.

My definition is the definition outlined in the link provided.

If you did not click the link, a concise definition of prison reform is "the attempt to improve conditions inside prisons, establish a more effective penal system, or implement alternatives to incarceration.

Again, why would you be against that?

dawg stop bein stubborn and just explain your point of view or don’t bring it up at all. no one got time to read that.

This link does a better job than I can. In any event, it is probably not the best practice to say that you don't want something if you don't know what it is. If you do know, then it is odd that you would be against it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison_reform

This is one of your debate strategies with people in here.

Claim ignorance, deflect and when people break it down to you, you basically go well maybe you are right.....but there is a chance you aren't so we really can't say.

Dude has a point about trying to lock down specifics because people like you never want to hold Trump accountable for the **** he says.

But troll away. This is nothing but you telling people look at the butter biscuit Trump cooking for us. For the love of God wipe those crumbs and cheap honey off your face.

This is one of your debate strategies with people in here.

Claim ignorance, deflect and when people break it down to you, you basically go well maybe you are right.....but there is a chance you aren't so we really can't say.

Dude has a point about trying to lock down specifics because people like you never want to hold Trump accountable for the **** he says.

But troll away. This is nothing but you telling people look at the butter biscuit Trump cooking for us. For the love of God wipe those crumbs and cheap honey off your face.

Not sure how much more specific I can get with prison reform. I provided a concise definition and a much longer link. If you missed the concise definition, it is "the attempt to improve conditions inside prisons, establish a more effective penal system, or implement alternatives to incarceration.

Dude didn't make a point. He said he didn't want prison reform, which is nonsensical. If I said that, people in this thread would talk about it to no end.

...and, the predictable butter biscuit stuff.

Typical echo chamber antics, signifying nothing.

Back
Top Bottom