***Official Political Discussion Thread***

what puts salt in my coffee on that one is that astronomers were not even consulted.

how tf does one guy get to unilaterally make a decision like that?

I don’t even know, I never even thought of that. I was pissed it wasn’t actually a ufo but now I’m pissed he’s ruining space.

it’s kind of like the rich douche who goes to the highest mountain and puts a mansion and ruins everyone else’s view but the space version. Like damn can’t we just **** up one planet? Now we have to trash space even more than it already is?

I don't know how folks can both-side this today. What is it about the Republican base that makes them consistently support molesters?

Screenshot_20201211-185400_Instagram.jpg

I listened to The NY Times The Daily podcast today about the Trump Admin turning down the Pfizer vaccine and if what they are saying is true, that decision is going to cost another 100,000 or so lives.

As part of warp speed the US government bought 50M doses of vaccine from each their six trial participants. Pfizer asked them in June if they wanted an additional 100M and the US government would only have to pay if the vaccine was successful. The trump admin was like naw we good. They asked them the same in October, same response. Then they asked them in November, same response. Then after the results of the trials came out they sold 200M doses to the EU instead. It was only AFTER that happened that the trump admin asked about getting more and Pfizer told them there was no way they could produce more by March because of the new contracts with the EU so they would have to wait until June.

Three god damn months lost because a US company repeatedly offered the US government a vaccine with absolutely zero risk to the US government in terms of payment and they still said no. Unbelievable incompetence at the highest level.
Just to drive home the point -- the cost of those extra 100 million doses is probably minuscule compared to the extra 2-3 months now it's going to take to reach herd immunity because we have to wait longer for the vaccine. That's going to mean more lives lost, more disruptions to society, and longer to reopen those magical "small businesses" and regain consumer confidence.

Since the right wing always wants to talk about how we need to save the economy and all....

But of course they're short-sighted and dumb as rocks.

Most people in this country don’t understand civics, and definitely not how the judiciary works.

I knew this would go nowhere, I knew all but one Trump team challenge lost in federal court, I knew that the SCOTUS is right wing but scarred enough to not waste political capital that could be spent on advancing right wing policies, I knew that with no serious military or Republican State official buy-in that a Trump coup isn’t happening.

At the same time though, I was. little nervous after Bush v. Gore and the fact that multiple coups in Latin America tend to involve right wing high courts.

Back
Top Bottom