Official: Revised Lebron IX Thread. MVP's revealed! MV's WILL have toddler sizes! 6/2

Sorry if this has been brought up before, I'm new to the 9 thread

I'm finally getting around to adding some 9's in my collection after regretfully purposely passing on the model

So I picked these taxi elites up locally for $80, but the lateral swooshs are somewhat chipped up.

Is there a fix or a paint match someone can help me with please?

Again sorry if this has been asked 1000x

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been brought up before, I'm new to the 9 thread

I'm finally getting around to adding some 9's in my collection after regretfully purposely passing on the model

So I picked these taxi elites up locally for $80, but the lateral swooshs are somewhat chipped up.

Is there a fix or a paint match someone can help me with please?

Again sorry if this has been asked 1000x
Those were my first legitimate Nikes I ever bought. Nice choice. Like yours, I got mine for $100 locally and had to do some very similar repair work. What you need:

--Acetone (aka nail polish remover) and cotton pads. Both can be bought at Walgreens or 'borrowed' from your girlfriend's side of the bathroom.

--Angelus paint (White). Costs about $4 shipped. AngelusDirect.com

--Paint brushes

--Optional (recommended): Angelus acrylic finisher (glossy or semi-gloss)

--Patience.

The easy way:

--Clean the swooshes really well and then just paint on some white paint in the areas you need it. Looks good from more than 8 feet away.

The better way:

--Use the acetone+pads to remove all the white paint/film from the swooshes.

--Apply new white to the swooshes with the brushes. An airbrush will be MUCH faster and produce better results. Find a friend with an airbrush and they'll be done in 30 minutes.

--The paint might go on kind of unevenly with brushes. What I like to do is apply it nice and thick for the first few layers, then use extra fine sandpaper to smooth them out. If you try to slowly put it on in even layers you'll be there all day long.

--After you're done, apply the Angelus acrylic finisher over the swooshes and over the carbon fiber (and over the airbag too if you like). The shoes will look brand new after you're done.

Here's my first attempt, left is original/untouched, right is finished. Photo is not edited/filtered.

Last edited:
yeezy83 yeezy83

This is a simple fix, and yes can be done easily. I get asked to redo gold Elite swooshes and I have done like 6 pairs of Hunger Game customs on the Elite 9 Away

However thattexaskid19 thattexaskid19 method has a few holes in it.

Do acetone/clean all the current factory paint off. I advise you to tape off the CF though. You can lay painters tape down and Xacto Knife around the swoosh leaving the CF protected.

Once clean, I HIGHLY recommend a base coat of 4-5 light coats of an adhesion promoter. I use Duplicolor. You can get it at AutoZone. It's a spray so taping the CF is a must.

Once dry start with a few LIGHT coats of the Angelus white (I airbrush, but I do customs so...lol) Angelus is a self leveling paint so if you go with patience and light coats your drying time will be improved, and you ensure nice even application without sanding. Dude above is making too much work for himself.

Once that is dry (a few hours to be safe) you can apply a few coats of the clear finisher.

As an added gloss/protection I use a clear glaze on top of all that on ALL my Elite CF swooshes. PM me if you'd like the info. Can't divulge all the secrets :wink:

This sounds like a lot to do, but if you want a real pro look you can't beat this. I do all my customs in this manner.

Thanks @thatte

&

dc30 dc30 I will PM, cause them Hunger games look good...is that a metallic red paint on the swoosh?

It's got a touch of metallic to it. I don't mix it in with the red, I use another method. Works best with white for a great pearl effect.

Finally grabbed these this past week.

Just have 3 pairs of 9s right now, the Cannons, Big Bangs, and Chinas, but I'm pretty happy with that. Might also consider tracking down Swingmans, Freegums, and Miami Nights eventually, especially since I'm not that big a fan of the XIIs so far.

@Yeezy83

This is a simple fix, and yes can be done easily. I get asked to redo gold Elite swooshes and I have done like 6 pairs of Hunger Game customs on the Elite 9 Away

However @thattexaskid19 method has a few holes in it.

Do acetone/clean all the current factory paint off. I advise you to tape off the CF though. You can lay painters tape down and Xacto Knife around the swoosh leaving the CF protected.

Once clean, I HIGHLY recommend a base coat of 4-5 light coats of an adhesion promoter. I use Duplicolor. You can get it at AutoZone. It's a spray so taping the CF is a must.

Once dry start with a few LIGHT coats of the Angelus white (I airbrush, but I do customs so...lol) Angelus is a self leveling paint so if you go with patience and light coats your drying time will be improved, and you ensure nice even application without sanding. Dude above is making too much work for himself.

Once that is dry (a few hours to be safe) you can apply a few coats of the clear finisher.

As an added gloss/protection I use a clear glaze on top of all that on ALL my Elite CF swooshes. PM me if you'd like the info. Can't divulge all the secrets
wink.gif

This sounds like a lot to do, but if you want a real pro look you can't beat this. I do all my customs in this manner.
I agree my method takes too long. Once I got an airbrush it immediately took me less than 30 minutes start to finish. So much better.

Your 'Hunger Games' shoes look excellent, I certainly don't question the quality of your finish. Not sure I understand why you keep the acetone off the carbon fiber though. I regularly acetone the whole area down and I find it looks much much nicer afterward with a layer of semi-gloss acrylic over it. Clear glaze over the top of it all would be another nice touch, probably a bit out of most of us peasants league tho haha.

Moral of the story: it takes time, but the finished product is much better than what you start with and you get to enjoy a fun project.

thattexaskid19 thattexaskid19
The tape is if you're spraying adhesion promoter or airbrushing. When doing Hunger Games I strip all the gold off. It's a thin transparent layer over silver foil. Taping the CF keeps that crap from sticking to it as the gold/foil is a pain compared to the paint. But in general terms it's not protecting the CF from acetone. You're right it cleans up the clouding that happens over time.

@thattexaskid19
The tape is if you're spraying adhesion promoter or airbrushing. When doing Hunger Games I strip all the gold off. It's a thin transparent layer over silver foil. Taping the CF keeps that crap from sticking to it as the gold/foil is a pain compared to the paint. But in general terms it's not protecting the CF from acetone. You're right it cleans up the clouding that happens over time.
Ah okay that makes much more sense -just a simple misunderstanding. I always tape off the carbon fiber when I airbrush now. That gold film comes off extremely easily and you're right it does manage to stick to just about everything else but the swoosh when it comes off.

rl_wayne rl_wayne Thanks for reminding me that i need the Chinas. And i think you definitely need the swingmans :smokin
Yeah, the China 9s are gorgeous. I actually grabbed them on RD but ended up trading that pair away for something else :smh: Been waiting patiently for a good price to pick them up again. Definitely one of the best China Lebrons in the sig line.

Swingmans are very underrated. That blue/green upper is gorgeous. Definitely on my hit list if I pick up more 9s.

Yeah, the China 9s are gorgeous. I actually grabbed them on RD but ended up trading that pair away for something else :smh: Been waiting patiently for a good price to pick them up again. Definitely one of the best China Lebrons in the sig line.

Swingmans are very underrated. That blue/green upper is gorgeous. Definitely on my hit list if I pick up more 9s.

I agree, the swingmans are one of the best CWs of the 9s. Glad I didn't sleep on them.

Hello everyone, I'm looking to get a DS SIZE 10 pair of South Beach/Miami Vice but not sure what I should be comfortable dropping so can I get a price check please?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom