Official San Diego Chargers Offseason Thread Vol. AJ Smith >>> Yuku Search

Damn so Coop just got hit with a suspension for 4 games because of substance abuse. We are deep enough at ILB to not be worried though. Looks like AnthonyWaters time to shine and be the dominant ILB everybody is hoping for.

BUT the fan forum was circling this rumor a couple weeks ago, and today we found out it was true. The thing, is that the rumor that was circling, involves twoplayers, Stephen Cooper and Shawne Merriman. This will be Merriman's 2nd strike if true, and the NFL Policy is "2 strikes and your out."

smh.gif

SanDiego Juicers, I knew Merriman hopped back on the Roids when the D started playing better. He also must have got alot of the other d players to hop on emtoo...

I hope it's just a rumor with merriman. SMH

How do we think our backups would do in place of merriman if he's out for the season?

^
That's just something we're going to have to wait and see.

Damn, and we just had the schedule released yesterday.

4 night games at home!
pimp.gif

I hate to say this, but if it's Merriman, I'm trading him ASAP. He would land us some nice draft picks or land us a stud Tackle or Nose Tackle we sodesperately need. Or even both.

I've read some interviews of his and he's been hinting at shopping around the league for a HUGE contract. If we let him go to free agency because hewants more money, the most we'll get is a low 3rd round pick. If we trade him were looking at a 1st rounder plus some.

If we match his contract offers from other teams, were looking at a bad salary cap issue with the rest of the studs we need to re-sign.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by lex23sd

Merriman will be franchised if it gets to that point.

Yea I didn't take that into regard. I take it we would get two 1st rounders for the franchising, and a 3rd rounder for free agencycompensatory???
But if nobody signs Merriman for that high of a franchising, then we'd end up screwed with only the 3rd round comp.

Originally Posted by yeahitsRUST

Antoine Cason? I havent heard or seen much of him, but he is officially Chargers property.

Basically he's a hard working Cornerback in the mold of Jammer. But he's faster. Good pick up. I never ever mentioned him because I didn'tthink he would be available, nor did I think we would stay in the first round.
SO many steals in the 3rd and 4th round it's a shame we have no picksthere. I'm wondering if AJ pulls the trigger to package or trade so we can move up and grab some.

P.S. Merriman's rumors were in fact rumors.
pimp.gif

Chargers Draft Grade from me: C-

But I have high hopes.

Cason will be a future starter. Good value for a late 1st rounder, even though I think it would have beensmarter to trade down and get more picks with players like him still available in lower rounds. Our first pick gets a B+.

Hester is that "F-back" I was talking about a few months ago that Norv has been looking for. Some ofyou are probably mad for what we paid for him, but I believe this guy is the missing piece to the puzzle of our offensive scheme. Runs good routes, has softhands, gets the yards after the catch and/or contact, and he's an "AJ type" of guy who works hard and loves to get physical. If we wouldn'thave over paid for him, I would give him an A+, but since we did overpay....this pick gets a B-.

Marcus Thomas is a project that's very close to that "F-back" similar to Hester. He is basicallya big bodied WR. He can block also. I give this pick an A for now.

Tribble....what the hell?????????????? Dude is 5'8 and slow...I dunno about this pick. Supposedly he was1st round talent but fell because of an injury. W/e, don't care. F-

Corey Clark. Can't say much about him. He looks like a back up Tackle, which is what we needed. He gets anAudit because I don't know much about him. So I can't give him a grade, and as a 7th rounder you can'tnecessarily take anything away from that. It is what it is, a 7th rounder. He looks promising though....*thumbs up*

I like Hester...I see him doing things here and there (prolly will make a slight better impact over Nanneee)

I hate trading a 2nd rounder just to draft him though

anyways, nothing else to say, we had a quiet off season. Let's just hope the boys get 100% healthy in time for the season

Cason will be a future starter. Good value for a late 1st rounder, even though I think it would have been smarter to trade down and get more picks with players like him still available in lower rounds. Our first pick gets a B+.
So is he suppose to start when Jammer completely falls off the map? because I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Nickel and Dime package CB. That's the only PT he's getting barring any major injuries or brain farts from Cro and Jammer.

Pretty much DFlo's replacement.

I need to stop frontin I'm lovin this years draft more and more by the second. I believe Hester will be a near-future pro bowler. Cason will be a force toreckon with in the slot. Same with Oliver. Hell even Tribble might turn out to blow up some WR's. And I'm really liking Marcus Thomas too. He'slike an LT/MT combo.

Don't forget about Chambers for a 2nd round....
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Flowsomuch

Cason will be a future starter. Good value for a late 1st rounder, even though I think it would have been smarter to trade down and get more picks with players like him still available in lower rounds. Our first pick gets a B+.
So is he suppose to start when Jammer completely falls off the map? because I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Nickel and Dime package CB. That's the only PT he's getting barring any major injuries or brain farts from Cro and Jammer.

Pretty much DFlo's replacement.

Jammer will be 30 next year. By the time he's ready to go (or even possibly move to safety because of aging) Cason will be fully groomed and be a nicesuccessor if not better than Jammer IMO.

Also take into account our competition, the Colts and the Pats. 3 or 4 good CB's are a must. And Cason is perfect for a Nickelback.

EDIT: Plus we have three 1st rounders to man our CB needs, love it.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by buggzpimpin

I need to stop frontin I'm lovin this years draft more and more by the second. I believe Hester will be a near-future pro bowler. Cason will be a force to reckon with in the slot. Same with Oliver. Hell even Tribble might turn out to blow up some WR's. And I'm really liking Marcus Thomas too. He's like an LT/MT combo.

pimp.gif

I hate to question the Buggz, but I think my dude is being over optimistic... Hester a future probowler already? Guy hasnt taken a snap yet, and I fear hewont take any snaps all season unless they are Special Teams snaps. He does have a great attitude/work ethic and I hope he proves me wrong by turning into aperennial(sp?) probowler. And as far as Carson, I hope for the best, but I have a feeling that he will have a big problem trying to adjust to NFL WR power asopposed to college WR power. He has the skills, I just hope he has to work ethic for the position so he can get better and learn from the talent around him.(ie the CRO and Jammer).

So I guess at the end of this thought... I hope that Buggz is right and im wrong.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by yeahitsRUST

Originally Posted by buggzpimpin

I need to stop frontin I'm lovin this years draft more and more by the second. I believe Hester will be a near-future pro bowler. Cason will be a force to reckon with in the slot. Same with Oliver. Hell even Tribble might turn out to blow up some WR's. And I'm really liking Marcus Thomas too. He's like an LT/MT combo.

pimp.gif

I hate to question the Buggz, but I think my dude is being over optimistic... Hester a future probowler already? Guy hasnt taken a snap yet, and I fear he wont take any snaps all season unless they are Special Teams snaps. He does have a great attitude/work ethic and I hope he proves me wrong by turning into a perennial(sp?) probowler. And as far as Carson, I hope for the best, but I have a feeling that he will have a big problem trying to adjust to NFL WR power as opposed to college WR power. He has the skills, I just hope he has to work ethic for the position so he can get better and learn from the talent around him. (ie the CRO and Jammer).

So I guess at the end of this thought... I hope that Buggz is right and im wrong.
laugh.gif

IMHO Hester playing for any other team =/= probowl, Hester playing for another team ='s perennial special teamer. But the way Norv is going to takeadvantage of his abilities I can foresee a probowl performance from this guy, even if it's a back up probowl spot. Honestly what FB's out there doeshe have to compete with....Lo'Neal is probably going to retire and the same with Alstott. Good days ahead for the Chargers Offense.
The biggest problem with our offense last year was that it was SO predictable. If Neal was in 99% of the time it was a run. With Hester in...you haveno clue....because dude is a decent run blocker, short yardage rusher and receiver in the flats.

I think my favorite pick up though has to be this Marcus Thomas kid. I think he has ALOT of potential. He is shifty like MT and catches like LT. He can alsoblock fairly well.

Also OT Shelton signing was a good move, even though dude is at the end of his career but he's just a backup. I hope he can spread his knowledge to our twoyoung tackles.

Triple OG David Binn signs a 4 year deal....

Long snapper David Binn, the Chargers' all-time leader in games played, signed a new four-year contract Monday that will keep him with the Bolts through 2011. Binn's previous contract was due to expire after the 2008 season.

"David has been a true professional and a master of his craft for many years," Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith said. "We are all pleased that he will continue on with the Chargers for years to come."

The 36-year-old Binn will enjoy his 15th NFL season this fall.

Renowned for his quick and accurate snaps, Binn was selected to the AFC Pro Bowl squad after the 2007 season when he was chosen by Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick as the AFC's "need" player. The San Mateo, California native has played in 223 regular season games. He's missed just one contest in 14 years. Binn has played in 151 consecutive regular season and postseason games dating back to 1998.

In December of 2006, Binn played in his 201st game in lightning bolts to break the club record previously owned by Junior Seau and Russ Washington. In January's Divisional Playoff win in Indianapolis, Binn also became the franchise's all-time leader in postseason games played. He has participated in nine playoff games.

This fall, Binn will tie Washington and Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Fouts for the most seasons with the Chargers (15).

He signed a new five-year contract in March of 2004, the first of 31 re-signings the Chargers have made under Smith's watch.

Originally Posted by KB8sandiego

Long snapper David Binn, the Chargers' all-time leader in games played, signed a new four-year contract Monday that will keep him with the Bolts through 2011. Binn's previous contract was due to expire after the 2008 season.

"David has been a true professional and a master of his craft for many years," Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith said. "We are all pleased that he will continue on with the Chargers for years to come."

Renowned for his quick and accurate snaps, Binn was selected to the AFC Pro Bowl squad after the 2007 season when he was chosen by Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick as the AFC's "need" player. The San Mateo, California native has played in 223 regular season games. He's missed just one contest in 14 years. Binn has played in 151 consecutive regular season and postseason games dating back to 1998.

In December of 2006, Binn played in his 201st game in lightning bolts to break the club record previously owned by Junior Seau and Russ Washington. In January's Divisional Playoff win in Indianapolis, Binn also became the franchise's all-time leader in postseason games played. He has participated in nine playoff games.

This fall, Binn will tie Washington and Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Fouts for the most seasons with the Chargers (15).

He signed a new five-year contract in March of 2004, the first of 31 re-signings the Chargers have made under Smith's watch.

wow they should just give you guys the lombardi right now

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

calm down.
laugh.gif

[table][tr][td]
sdg.gif
[/td] [td]3 (6)[/td] [td]Chargers[/td] [td]11-5-0[/td] [td]If the Chargers can get over their injury issues, they could be in the Super Bowl mix all the way to Tampa. (BW)[/td] [/tr][/table]

indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
But David Binn > Your snapper

And I have a feeling Kassim is going to be traded for a d-lineman for depth
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom