Official Seattle Mariners 2009 Season Thread Vol. Season Over

Originally Posted by RitchDad

guys put me up on morrow....i see he has 5 saves (on pace for 50 lol)...do you guys honestly think this will hold up throughout the year?

If he can throw strikes than yea he can be a good closer. Let's see how he does on the road with some pressure, his walks kill him.

he's got to prove himself. he has a lot to prove after we drafted him over lincecum. i say he holds up, he's a big guy and has a live arm. with the waythings are going, aardsma will be used some as well. he's got 3 saves already.

he's pretty new to this role, i want to see him enter in really tough situations (bases loaded, no outs) and see how he does under tough pressure. i'minterested to see where his level of clutchness is

Originally Posted by hawtsauce

he's pretty new to this role, i want to see him enter in really tough situations (bases loaded, no outs) and see how he does under tough pressure. i'm interested to see where his level of clutchness is

typically a closer isn't used in these kinds of situations. typically. sometimes it happens but usually the closer will come in the ninth...

that said, if we do send him in the eight inning, i would hope he doesn't walk home any batters. in any case, aardsma right now is 'the man' in thebullpen with a 0.00 ERA

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Originally Posted by hawtsauce

he's pretty new to this role, i want to see him enter in really tough situations (bases loaded, no outs) and see how he does under tough pressure. i'm interested to see where his level of clutchness is

typically a closer isn't used in these kinds of situations. typically. sometimes it happens but usually the closer will come in the ninth...

that said, if we do send him in the eight inning, i would hope he doesn't walk home any batters. in any case, aardsma right now is 'the man' in the bullpen with a 0.00 ERA

yes good point, but i do remember putz being brought in in the 8th a few times because the bullpen was not cutting it. aardsma looks good, but i do worry aboutall those fastballs...

guys put me up on morrow....i see he has 5 saves (on pace for 50 lol)...do you guys honestly think this will hold up throughout the year?

Bottom line is that when the Mariners win, they won't blow anybody out. 95% of their games will be close so he'll have plenty of save opportunities.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Bottom line is that when the Mariners win, they won't blow anybody out. 95% of their games will be close so he'll have plenty of save opportunities.
which will result in tiring him out. i have a feeling aardsma will be used in some closer roles. i wish josh fields was ready to pitch.

which will result in tiring him out. i have a feeling aardsma will be used in some closer roles. i wish josh fields was ready to pitch.
Speaking of Fields... What does Morrow being in the closer spot do for his role when he's ready?

You didn't draft dude in the first round to be a set-up man, and having Morrow in the bullpen but not closing is a complete and utter waste...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Speaking of Fields... What does Morrow being in the closer spot do for his role when he's ready?

You didn't draft dude in the first round to be a set-up man, and having Morrow in the bullpen but not closing is a complete and utter waste...
no idea dude. my guess is maybe morrow could finally start when fields comes back, although morrow prefers the bullpen. dude also has diabetes, sono one is sure he can start a full season with that problem.

quite a dilemma though. morrow wasn't drafted to close, fields wasn't drafted to setup.

no idea dude. my guess is maybe morrow could finally start when fields comes back, although morrow prefers the bullpen. dude also has diabetes, so no one is sure he can start a full season with that problem.

quite a dilemma though. morrow wasn't drafted to close, fields wasn't drafted to setup.
Yeah, I knew Morrow preferred the pen... And I knew he had health issues that made starting tough...

Sucks... Kid's got a hell of an arm and had a chance to be real, real good...
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

no idea dude. my guess is maybe morrow could finally start when fields comes back, although morrow prefers the bullpen. dude also has diabetes, so no one is sure he can start a full season with that problem.

Yeah, I knew Morrow preferred the pen... And I knew he had health issues that made starting tough...

Sucks... Kid's got a hell of an arm and had a chance to be real, real good...
smh.gif
yeah it's a shame. mark lowe has diabetes too, prerequisite for the pen
laugh.gif

seriously though, it's too bad. i think he'd be a much better starter than silva or jakabauskas

Just tuned in, but Bedard looked really sharp in the 6th... was he like that all game???

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Just tuned in, but Bedard looked really sharp in the 6th... was he like that all game???
yep. except for the HR to napoli he's pitched great. defense let him down a little.

Good stuff... though with 17 hits, I would have liked to see a few more runs... can't be too picky I suppose...

yeah there were times when guys were still keeping bad habits. gotta work the count, and good things will happen. angels pitching right now is pretty bad soit's good to take advantage. scot shields fell off.

laugh.gif

Loophole in the tie rule

Leave it to Ken Griffey Jr., who immediately barked at spring training about manager Don Wakamatsu's requirement that players wear ties on team flights, to get revenge.

When the Mariners' manager walked onto the plane Thursday night for the flight to Los Angeles, he found everyone wearing a tie as required.

Then he took a closer look.

All of the Mariners were wearing identical ties -- with a photo of Wakamatsu prominent on them. Everyone had a good laugh.

Griffey had the ties printed with a photo of Wakamatsu in his Mariners uniform.

Wakamatsu requires the players to wear sportcoats and ties on all trips into an opposing city. When Griffey good-naturedly complained about it at spring training, saying he didn't even have a tie, Wakamatsu said he would have extras available.

Offense was a bit better today as far as working the count....although that big 5th inning we had a few bloopers that fell our way in the infield....once weget healthy and just work the pitch count a little this team can maintain a stride to be successful

and am I wrong for automatically calling Silva's start tomorrow an automatic L?
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

I swear he reminds me of Weaver a couple years ago for the M's...I didnt even watch the games...I automatically counted the L's every time he pitched
laugh.gif

I don't know what's up with Silva to be honest....He surely looks like (to Mariners fans) that he serves up some fatty pitches right down the plate allthe time, but I can attest for his time in Minnesota when he had very good movement on his two seam fastball that would tail down and in or away from hittersat the last second forcing a lot of ground ball outs. He just never really had his groove yet in Seattle...If ever.

We scored some runs and our ace seems to be pitching like he should.

About Morrow....I kinda wish he would start, but I am not sure if he can handle all of that with his problem...it is kinda like the Yankees and Joba.

Back
Top Bottom