:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Hey guys just got pair of 01 breds... Looks like I hve a restor project which doesn't seem bad for 11s however when I seperateD the air bag was gone .... Any advice

Just got these back from a restorer and I'm not sure how to feel but from what I'm gathering it's from saucing too long

Last edited:

Just got these back from a restorer and I'm not sure how to feel but from what I'm gathering it's from saucing too long

I'm not sure how upset you 'should be'. I think we all value our kicks to different degrees for varied reasons. It's relative. Blah. lol.

That said?

I've messed w/SC 40 a lot. I've never done that to a shoe. Never. I've probably baked my Gym Green Foams over 100 hours and didn't melt the toe box or separate the sole.

(They looked like Rootbeer Barrels before I started, that's why SO many hours, AND I was sloppy and incurred WAY more traction loss than I would have had I known off jump what I learned thru turning them into ice skates ).

I'd be upset, personally. Just because, I personally, feel like it's just careless. If this person is a 'restorer', I would guess you paid him? ..to melt your shoe. JS. Not even trying to be corny.

Using SC40 or 'sauce'/Retr0brite, etc?

IS a viable tool in the kit. But, it has to be done properly. Needless to say, it wasn't. I'm guessing you're correct as to what happened to them, but without seeing them in hand I could easily be wrong. I'm old. My eyes suck. My bad.

If you DID pay? ..I can see being heated to a degree.

But?

Everything being everything? You let someone ELSE at'em. This thread alone has enough info to have provided you with the skill set to do better than whomever did for you, or TO you, depending on your feels. Again, not trying to be corny. Maybe your life is wild busy and time is your concern, no way for me to know. Just being fair.

Does this person have an LLC, or are they just 'peoples', or they an IG 'shop'? Was there any formal contract that would have laid out guidelines establishing what the costumer expects to be getting for their money AND what happens in the event something 'happens'.

Maybe if you contact this person they will 'work with you' somehow. Partial refund, maybe? A spare midsole to Frankenstein a swap down the road, IDK. Something.

The answer to all questions is NO, if you never ask. JS.

Hit'em up, let whomever know you're dissatisfied, see what comes of it.

I originally sent them to him in March, I was working day n night was told I'd be closing on my house that the offer I would be closing in within a few weeks so my personal time was very occupied. With that being said he offered me $80 back of $140 but that Dosent do anything for a $800 pair of db 6s being ruined.

That's rough.

I'd be unhappy, myself.

Was there any contract?

I was wondering about this in general and have just never done the research.

The specific instance you have here. Where you have a product or, possession as it were, that is no longer available at retail. There's an inherent cost associated with most if not all 'aftermarket' goods. So, the arguable cost of said entity NOW is considerably GREATER than it was at OG MSRP.

So? You'd think there is or needs to be some sort of agreed upon algebraic expression that creates a monetary price point somewhere between original retail and 'current market value'. You'd almost have to become your own GOAT, far as inspection, pics, etc. for shoes you were restoring just to get a fair assessment of current condition you recieve the shoe in vs. DS value and then again vs agreed upon restorative services and then AGAIN vs. final results of restoration.

I'm not a lawyer. I've never looked into it. I'm not claiming I know anything. Just seems so sticky, if you're looking for any security or reparation in general, with the variables if there ISN'T some sort of contract where the math is addressed PRIOR to anything being done.

Those kicks are dope DS. I don't own them. I wanted them, but not bad enough apparently. [emoji]128521[/emoji] Honestly sorry it worked out that way. I'd be pretty dissatisfied with the proposed solution as is, but sometimes it's what you DON'T lose. Feel me? You caught an L on the restore. Dude offered something, not really what I would personally feel good with, but something. Maybe just not losing any more TIME is best.

Hit this thread up when you go to pewp. Maybe you can find a video on sanding, or acetone, or ironing, or who knows, that could provide you a way to quell the sting and 'save' them. IDK.

Just finished my 1999 fire red sole swap, but realized the outside netting is crumbling. I tried using the super glue technique but it made it worst because it makes the netting hard. So i found my old solar red jordan 5 custom and took the netting from it.. Here is the transplant i did...

Lol he has em listed at $55. How much would the other stuff I need cost?
Get a use dub zero donor for $50, barge superstik $20-25, angelus black and white paint $3 each on ebay, paint brush around $2, krylon matte finish( not sure how much, check Micheals), acetone /nail polish remover $1-2, cotton balls $.50-1, so about $100 a total of $155 -$160 is not bad for a wearable NA bred 4s. Plus its much more comfortable than the retro version.

Get a use dub zero donor for $50, barge superstik $20-25, angelus black and white paint $3 each on ebay, paint brush around $2, krylon matte finish( not sure how much, check Micheals), acetone /nail polish remover $1-2, cotton balls $.50-1, so about $100 a total of $155 -$160 is not bad for a wearable NA bred 4s. Plus its much more comfortable than the retro version.
Thanks. You don't think the upper is too beat up or anything? I'm gonna start looking for that donor and everything else

Thanks. You don't think the upper is too beat up or anything? I'm gonna start looking for that donor and everything else
If you have some nubuck chipping , just use 50/50 acetone and angelus flat black and paint over that area. It will blend in.. Not sure when they release black/red NA 4s and if they release again the nubuck nike uses is not going to be as soft as the 99 version. I say go for it. !!! .

If you have some nubuck chipping , just use 50/50 acetone and angelus flat black and paint over that area. It will blend in.. Not sure when they release black/red NA 4s and if they release again the nubuck nike uses is not going to be as soft as the 99 version. I say go for it. !!! .
Thanks a ton. As far as donors go I know there's a ton of pairs I can use but the color of the air bubbles is making it uneasy for me lol. If/when you guys sole swap do you even care about that?

Dumb question that I can't seem to find the answer to.  I picked up a pair for Stealth 5s for real cheap and wanted to restore them.  Two part question, first is what Angelus paint colors would I use for the gray and the blue on the midsole.  I have seen various people say Royal Blue and others saying True Blue.  What is everyones opinion to closes to OG.  Which blue and which gray.  Second question is as far as the yellow netting.  Is there anyway to unyellow them?  Seaglow perhaps? Please give opinions.  Thank you very much in advance.

The jumpman on the back of 2011 BC3 which are DS have taken on a pink shade. I have seen DS pairs on ebay with the same shading. What would be the best way to reduce/remove the tint. Simple soap water or try something like bleach (clean with a paper towel dipped in bleach). Your help is much appreciated. 

The jumpman on the back of 2011 BC3 which are DS have taken on a pink shade. I have seen DS pairs on ebay with the same shading. What would be the best way to reduce/remove the tint. Simple soap water or try something like bleach (clean with a paper towel dipped in bleach). Your help is much appreciated. 
You mean the back heel tab? Use salon care 40 or 50.
Dumb question that I can't seem to find the answer to.  I picked up a pair for Stealth 5s for real cheap and wanted to restore them.  Two part question, first is what Angelus paint colors would I use for the gray and the blue on the midsole.  I have seen various people say Royal Blue and others saying True Blue.  What is everyones opinion to closes to OG.  Which blue and which gray.  Second question is as far as the yellow netting.  Is there anyway to unyellow them?  Seaglow perhaps? Please give opinions.  Thank you very much in advance.
yellow netting can be cleared with heat gun. Low heat setting use with care so not to melt the netting

Doing this myself right now. About the gray, first I ordered the regular gray but after I got it I realized that after a couple coats it would be too dark so I ordered the light gray and that looks alot better. I think I ordered royal blue I can check when I get back from vacation for you. And I used 40 creme to unyellow the netting and it worked real good

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom