OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

I gotta assume he has other stuff, but there's no way in hell that it isn't 90%+ of his portfolio. He is a wild boy.

I would be taking the tax hit on like a third of this and hope that the Long Term Cap Gain tax rate doesn't move with a blue wave in place. Open up a tax-loss harvesting account with Wealthfront or something in case he needs to sell down more.
Bruh I'd take whatever tax hit the govt wants if I made TWELVE MILLION on Tesla from an 18 thousand dollar investment :lol: Sucks but it's not like hes hurting with 7Ms in this one account (5 others? Definitely diversified like you said).

He shouldn't keep that much exposure in TSLA no matter what he believes in :lol: Can't wait for the follow up next year- "Today I'm returning to corporate world at age 40."

Why not?

Do you know what percentage of that accounts for his overall portfolio?

Without that info it's impossible to say he is overexposed

I gotta assume he has other stuff, but there's no way in hell that it isn't 90%+ of his portfolio. He is a wild boy.

I would be taking the tax hit on like a third of this and hope that the Long Term Cap Gain tax rate doesn't move with a blue wave in place. Open up a tax-loss harvesting account with Wealthfront or something in case he needs to sell down more.

The price he got is a year post ipo at 37-40$. Initial investment is $18k for 500 shares pre split.

This sounds reasonable.

Hell, I had 300 shares on ipo week @$23 a share pre split.

Pls dont ask when i sold it 😭🤣🤣🤣 I'm sure plenty of nters bought around the same time too.

Why not?

Do you know what percentage of that accounts for his overall portfolio?

Without that info it's impossible to say he is overexposed
Because if your plan is to retire and live another 40-50 years without working or having passive income to sustain his lifestyle, and his other accounts dont at least match this one, its idiotic when every technical and fundamental analysis say TSLA is the biggest bubble in the world. I love Tesla, love their stock, Elon made me enough money to look at buying a house this year. But I would in no way leverage my retirement on the stock.

As a rule of thumb, I never sell anything. In the last six years I have made three sells:

• Sold all my ETFs and went into single names
  • Sold Disney
  • Sold all my employer stock
That's it. Other than that it's straight-up Buy and Hold over here.

Because if your plan is to retire and live another 40-50 years without working or having passive income to sustain his lifestyle, and his other accounts dont at least match this one, its idiotic when every technical and fundamental analysis say TSLA is the biggest bubble in the world. I love Tesla, love their stock, Elon made me enough money to look at buying a house this year. But I would in no way leverage my retirement on the stock.

I get all that but...

We simply don't know what percentage of that makes up his portfolio so it's impossible to say "he shouldn't keep that much exposure in Tesla"

I get all that but...

We simply don't know what percentage of that makes up his portfolio so it's impossible to say "he shouldn't keep that much exposure in Tesla"
Very true. I guess, let me restructure my argument. If the bulk (more than 75%) of his wealth is in TSLA stock, and he's retiring today, he needs to deleverage like crazy. If hes already wealthy and the TSLA gains make it so he CAN retire, and doesnt rely on it for future expenses, then ****, play on player.

FTR, I'm entirely a TSLA bull and believe they're one of the most innovative companies in the world. I simply dont think their stock reflects current or near-future value. And once the buying stops, the balloon will deflate FAST. And when it does, I'm buying.

The price he got is a year post ipo at 37-40$. Initial investment is $18k for 500 shares pre split.

This sounds reasonable.

Hell, I had 300 shares on ipo week @$23 a share pre split.

Pls dont ask when i sold it 😭🤣🤣🤣 I'm sure plenty of nters bought around the same time too.
I had a few at $50 when I first started investing. I had no clue what I was doing and the truck with the fancy doors was just unveiled. Jim Cramer said it was the worst stock in the world to own. so I sold it. welp.
As a rule of thumb, I never sell anything. In the last six years I have made three sells:

• Sold Disney
respect the process. love Disney though and expect to see it double from here in 5 years. what was your reasoning for selling out?

I'm with you. It took me forever to get on Tesla.

I just didn't get it. But I decided not to sit on the sidelines and watch the rocket fly by. I got in post split.

It defies all logic and I'm okay with it. Just want to keep increasing my position there.

I had a few at $50 when I first started investing. I had no clue what I was doing and the truck with the fancy doors was just unveiled. Jim Cramer said it was the worst stock in the world to own. so I sold it. welp.
respect the process. love Disney though and expect to see it double from here in 5 years. what was your reasoning for selling out?
Small ticket size. I used to manage my portfolio in a totally different way and just try and gain exposure in anything I liked. Didn't make any sense, I had like 40 names and I missed out on a lot of upside due to the methodology. Not even real equity research guys can cover 40 names it was nonsense.

I have a ten-bagger in SunRun for example and the initial ticket is super low and I never added cause I was too focused on diversifying.

I have no adopted a no small ticket philosophy so sold anything that was small and added into bigger names. Once I have everything at the target level in terms of total cost basis I will look at adding new names. Its now a matter of having real conviction in something. I have some other names that are small that I'm not allowed to touch at the moment that will likely get the same treatment.

I mean the entire market defies logic currently but yeah I get it - it wasn’t a $400 stock when they weren’t hitting delivery dates, unprofitable, etc

• Sold Disney

Thats the method I use as well. Sometimes I want to get a little more into trading, but for the most part all I've been doing is buying companies that I see sticking around for decades. Some bluechips, some "up and comers", and a few longshots.

My biggest issue has been not buying enough. Grabbed 5 shares of NVAX at like $9, grabbed 10 shares of RIOT at $2.30, grabbed 10 shares of PINS at like $18. All nice % gains, but the actual increases in my account are nothing to retire early on.

Thats the method I use as well. Sometimes I want to get a little more into trading, but for the most part all I've been doing is buying companies that I see sticking around for decades. Some bluechips, some "up and comers", and a few longshots.

My biggest issue has been not buying enough. Grabbed 5 shares of NVAX at like $9, grabbed 10 shares of RIOT at $2.30, grabbed 10 shares of PINS at like $18. All nice % gains, but the actual increases in my account are nothing to retire early on.
You shouldn’t be trying to retire this week, your goal should be to create wealth 10 years from now. DCA into the best assets and add into them as they continue to work. You don’t give the ball to smush Parker because kobe already scored 50, you should feed your winners and add money elsewhere when it’s a better opportunity. I own 20 stocks. Roku and shop are the only ones over 10k in value, apple, nvda, dis, FSLY, pins, nvta, se are all worth between 3-6k and the rest of my stocks are worth between 1-2k. I’m not here to get rich today, I’m here to create wealth 5-10 years from now. As the long term story continues to work, and price gives me entries to add, I’ll add more to my best stocks. But personally, I don’t like concentration too much. Your top 5 should be heavy weight but I like the peace of mind the rest of my book being smaller gives me. No one position bankrupts me.

You shouldn’t be trying to retire this week, your goal should be to create wealth 10 years from now. DCA into the best assets and add into them as they continue to work. You don’t give the ball to smush Parker because kobe already scored 50, you should feed your winners and add money elsewhere when it’s a better opportunity. I own 20 stocks. Roku and shop are the only ones over 10k in value, apple, nvda, dis, FSLY, pins, nvta, se are all worth between 3-6k and the rest of my stocks are worth between 1-2k. I’m not here to get rich today, I’m here to create wealth 5-10 years from now. As the long term story continues to work, and price gives me entries to add, I’ll add more to my best stocks. But personally, I don’t like concentration too much. Your top 5 should be heavy weight but I like the peace of mind the rest of my book being smaller gives me. No one position bankrupts me.
I feel this, but to me, I max my 401k every year and its 60/40 Large Cap Growth Index/S&P 500. I have more beta exposure than I would care to have really so I can afford to go active around that and in size. I have about 20 holdings myself and even that feels like too many but I won't be selling and taking the tax hit on any of them.

Back
Top Bottom