OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

I feel this, but to me, I max my 401k every year and its 60/40 Large Cap Growth Index/S&P 500. I have more beta exposure than I would care to have really so I can afford to go active around that and in size. I have about 20 holdings myself and even that feels like too many but I won't be selling and taking the tax hit on any of them.
Many ways to skin a cat. Really comes down to what you can handle emotionally and psychologically. For me, after blowing up 2 times many years ago, I know the triggers that can leave me vulnerable and too much risk in any one asset is one of them.

Many ways to skin a cat. Really comes down to what you can handle emotionally and psychologically. For me, after blowing up 2 times many years ago, I know the triggers that can leave me vulnerable and too much risk in any one asset is one of them.
Over leveraging myself in any one stock gives me anxiety attacks. Sinking thousands into that NVDA call earlier this year, that I posted in here and made a $50 gain on, had me borderline panicking when they missed earnings that week :lol: Solid reminder why I dont YOLO these days.

Totally feel you once again. Same reason I don't ever use leverage. If I can't cash cover I don't buy it. I haven't done an option in five years or so either but that's more of a red tape issue with my employer.

Man I was so overleveraged in 2020. The anxiety and stress I had when the vaccine news hit and growth tech was destroyed. Now I’m basically 100% with a little portfolio margin for an options play on pins.

In 2019 I fell prey to weed stocks and got off Robinhood. I put $30k across two weed stocks (CGC & ACB) and watched that turn to $15k in a few months. Then I went all in APHA and gained back to like $21k and cut my losses. -30% for the year.

2020 was my second year investing in stocks on my own. Opened a ROTH IRA with TD at the end of 2019 and contributed the max for 19 and 20 so I had 12k to work with. I told myself that was all I’d invest for the year because what got me in trouble with weed stocks was I kept averaging down like $5-10k at a time and kept losing. Honestly, if not for my weed stock mistakes I probably would have lost much more when the pandemic hit. I was completely on the sidelines late 2019 until May 2020 because I was so shook from those losses and the market crash from the pandemic.

I learned a lot this past year but still made some of the same mistakes. For example I put the entire thing into GAN and was stuck holding for months. I was down 40% at one point but actually ended up selling for a profit. Also sold the whole position in my favorite stock ROCK when I was up 20% and it’s now up 100% from where I bought in. +14% for the year though so I can’t complain

I already contributed max to the ROTH for 2021 and opened a TD brokerage account put $6k in there as well. Laying out my strategy going forward while I wait for a little dip here.

I think I will DCA into the bigger names I want to hold long term in the brokerage account. With the ROTH I will still try to do some active trading here and there.

I have way more capital to invest but I want to learn more first. Unfortunately the best lessons I’ve learned thus far were from making mistakes myself. I’m afraid to throw a few hundred thousand in all at once but also have FOMO with money just sitting in the bank. I honestly don’t trust myself as a novice investor :smh::lol:

I just checked my TSP from when I worked for the gov and it had a 20% return for 2020 :lol:

This is one of my fav threads on NT. Keeps me in check. Hope we can all flourish this year :nthat:

Last edited:
You shouldn’t be trying to retire this week, your goal should be to create wealth 10 years from now. DCA into the best assets and add into them as they continue to work. You don’t give the ball to smush Parker because kobe already scored 50, you should feed your winners and add money elsewhere when it’s a better opportunity. I own 20 stocks. Roku and shop are the only ones over 10k in value, apple, nvda, dis, FSLY, pins, nvta, se are all worth between 3-6k and the rest of my stocks are worth between 1-2k. I’m not here to get rich today, I’m here to create wealth 5-10 years from now. As the long term story continues to work, and price gives me entries to add, I’ll add more to my best stocks. But personally, I don’t like concentration too much. Your top 5 should be heavy weight but I like the peace of mind the rest of my book being smaller gives me. No one position bankrupts me.

Right, and that retire next week was in jest. Point was that I should probably go deeper on these companies I believe in and see sticking around in the future, instead of just grabbing small little chunks at a time. A little more conviction in my choices would have been smarter than just dipping my toes on the potential of losing a little, but could've had a ton of potential to moon. But, hindsight is also 20/20.

I have my 401k and an old 401k that are both just generic index / target date funds, and I pretty much leave those alone. The "trading" (not really trading, just buying individual stocks instead of just indexes) I do is mostly in my Roth, which is up ~59% for the year. I get the wide eyes seeing my buddy that has like 5+ different 10baggers in his account since rolling over his 401k last year and making his own choices. Rolled over like $80k and its at like $320k now. He caught a few moon shots, like having 8k shares of BLNK he got under $5 (he's trimmed most profit down and has around 1k shares left), some MP (formerly FVAC), CLSK, and some others.

hennessy hennessy just let me do the investing for you man - I’ll give you the family and friends discount

I wish I had met you when you were in DC because I can’t tell if you’re trolling or not half the time. Like when you post in here I usually ignore it because I assume you are misguiding people :lol:

In all seriousness, I have considered talking to a financial advisor. Kinda sad because one of my majors is finance. I always knew investing is important... but never had interest in doing it myself (outside 401k) until recently. Commission-free trades changed the game.

Technical analysis on Tesla stock for week ending 01/09/2021. The new all time high streak continues as Tesla closed the trading week at new highs! If Tesla continues to go parabolic next week, the next potential resistance level is around $945, but first it must hold above $880. If Tesla pulls back and consolidates, the key support levels to look out for are first $785, and if it breaks below that level it will head to $740.

Tesla news this week includes:
  • Tesla reports 499,550 vehicle deliveries for 2020, slightly missing target
  • Elon Musk is now the richest person in the world, passing Jeff Bezos
  • Billionaire Investor, Chamath Palihapitiya says Tesla’s stock could triple from current levels, making Elon Musk the first trillionaire

hennessy hennessy I post like a screenshot every other week of my plays 😂😂😂 all my advice seems to pan out, no? My TSLA 800 Call...? My DKNG play would have made you a nice little beach house...

Bro we invited you out multiple times lmao!

Last edited:
It’s probably the TSLA calls that makes me think you’re trolling :lol: I did make some money off DKNG last year though.

And I know I dropped the ball going out but at that time my only concern was getting my business started.

In 2019 I fell prey to weed stocks and got off Robinhood. I put $30k across two weed stocks (CGC & ACB) and watched that turn to $15k in a few months. Then I went all in APHA and gained back to like $21k and cut my losses. -30% for the year.

2020 was my second year investing in stocks on my own. Opened a ROTH IRA with TD at the end of 2019 and contributed the max for 19 and 20 so I had 12k to work with. I told myself that was all I’d invest for the year because what got me in trouble with weed stocks was I kept averaging down like $5-10k at a time and kept losing. Honestly, if not for my weed stock mistakes I probably would have lost much more when the pandemic hit. I was completely on the sidelines late 2019 until May 2020 because I was so shook from those losses and the market crash from the pandemic.

I learned a lot this past year but still made some of the same mistakes. For example I put the entire thing into GAN and was stuck holding for months. I was down 40% at one point but actually ended up selling for a profit. Also sold the whole position in my favorite stock ROCK when I was up 20% and it’s now up 100% from where I bought in. +14% for the year though so I can’t complain

I already contributed max to the ROTH for 2021 and opened a TD brokerage account put $6k in there as well. Laying out my strategy going forward while I wait for a little dip here.

I think I will DCA into the bigger names I want to hold long term in the brokerage account. With the ROTH I will still try to do some active trading here and there.

I have way more capital to invest but I want to learn more first. Unfortunately the best lessons I’ve learned thus far were from making mistakes myself. I’m afraid to throw a few hundred thousand in all at once but also have FOMO with money just sitting in the bank. I honestly don’t trust myself as a novice investor :smh::lol:

I just checked my TSP from when I worked for the gov and it had a 20% return for 2020 :lol:

This is one of my fav threads on NT. Keeps me in check. Hope we can all flourish this year :nthat:
you’ll be better off in the long run for those experiences. They suck but they mold you. Blowing up two accounts plus round tripping a crypto bull run into a bear market taught and prepared me for 2020. Now hopefully I can maintain a solid cushion moving forward and when the fed starts tightening I’ll trim some positions, but overall the difference for me has come down to me understanding what to look for in a company. You want to own companies that the world depends on for survival, you want to own under hyped themes that the market hasn’t caught onto, and you want to delineate the weak from the elite. Two common mistakes people make, they go for the big guns already established and at their peak potential (tsla) or they go for the home run idea that won’t materialize logically (spacs, cheap momentum turds). You need to find the middle ground and that’s in companies with large total addressable markets, companies with legitimate sales growth north of 30%, companies with strong gross margins (preferably north of 30%), free cash flow growth, an expectation for ebidta and eps growth toward positivity in the next 2-3 years, and trading at least than 30 EV/S for the next year. This is how you find the real home runs that change your life and not the meme trends and fads. EV’s now will be dead in a year. I saw this with 3D printers and weed stocks. Genomics won’t. Reason being, EV’s will never have the scale or brand power to compete with the establishment, genomics on the other hand impact every single one of our lives daily and have an edge that no other life sciences or biotech company possesses. Weed stocks like CRLBF have real earnings and real growth potential, memes like the cheaper turds have a good PR team.

these are my favorite stocks for the next 5-10 years, can you guess why? Roku, shop, PGNY, nvta, TDOC, GDRX, nvda, se, aapl.Tdoc is the only one I don’t own anymore because I’m an idiot.
Right, and that retire next week was in jest. Point was that I should probably go deeper on these companies I believe in and see sticking around in the future, instead of just grabbing small little chunks at a time. A little more conviction in my choices would have been smarter than just dipping my toes on the potential of losing a little, but could've had a ton of potential to moon. But, hindsight is also 20/20.

I have my 401k and an old 401k that are both just generic index / target date funds, and I pretty much leave those alone. The "trading" (not really trading, just buying individual stocks instead of just indexes) I do is mostly in my Roth, which is up ~59% for the year. I get the wide eyes seeing my buddy that has like 5+ different 10baggers in his account since rolling over his 401k last year and making his own choices. Rolled over like $80k and its at like $320k now. He caught a few moon shots, like having 8k shares of BLNK he got under $5 (he's trimmed most profit down and has around 1k shares left), some MP (formerly FVAC), CLSK, and some others.
Honestly that’s an amazing return, and borderline once in a lifetime perfect storm, but he’s also very lucky. MP is the only “legit” company out of the ones you mentioned. BLNK will probably be back there by the time this market comes back to reality and the EV dad wears off so don’t feel too bad. You want to own the best companies and you want to have the conviction to size into them, but it’s the best companies, not the best memes or the best vehicles to trade. You’ll create that way. My biggest winner is ROKU, and I had the conviction to size in what I could for my account size, and I had to build that position over time. Being confident to average up at 155, 220, 230, is being confident in my process and understanding which created my conviction. See the facts, build off of them.

Looking to get back into the market next week. Feeling froggy. Start of my last semester is about a month away and want to devote some time to making money.

I see there was a run this week. We thinking pull back?

We just had a pull back fam. If there’s a pull back next week, it’s the next leg lower and potential correction.
Mostly all of my watchlist was up this week. RDFN, PYPL, TSLA, LMND, etc. were running. Kind of mad at myself for thinking a one-sided government would push all prices down. I had the candidates right, but not the reaction. I guess I underestimated the prospects of an early February stimulus of $1,400.

Pypl and lmnd both were down to start the week and offered good entries. If time is an issue, set limit orders gtc at prices you are happy owning at.

PSTH breached 30 :nerd:
SoFi hype is bring spac’s back to life

these spac’s have high r/r based on the rumors. None are confirmed

VIH BAKKT
FUSE BlockFi
GSAH eToro
BTWN Tokopedia

none of these are confirmed, vih might be the closest to real based on its bid. Blockfi would intrigue me as a must buy, eToro as a trade as I think social finance becomes a big thematic in 2021. No positions in any.

Perfect for this thread based on the little bit of lurking I've done:

A 100 bagger is such a wild thing to look at:

Harkens back to the earlier point I made; concentration is how you get wealthy, diversification is how you stay that way. He should really NOT keep that much exposure in one name if you believe in the science but eh.

This guys a bozo. I wouldve been sold that, at least most of it.

I also wouldnt advertise that online. No way in hell im putting it out there i have THAT much money.

Back
Top Bottom