OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Originally Posted by kicksfiend

Originally Posted by BgL2687

how does programming help(serious question)? for number crunching?  I would like to know how it could help my trading..because I have plenty of programming background.

It doesn't help you for trading exactly. Say you worked at a hedge fund that wanted you to take a specific pricing model and create an application that would check to see whether or not the market price is in line with that mathematical model, you would have to program something to do so. C++ is the most common language but I've heard of Java and others being used. If you're eager to apply some programming to aid your trading, certain charting software allow you to create technical analysis indicators or even complete strategies. I don't believe in having a black box (automated program) do my trading for me but I've been working on a "gray box". Basically something that would give me buy and sell triggers but leaves the ultimate decision of whether or not to trade in my hands.

Originally Posted by andycrazn

hey im a noob on the elliot wave but if you check out the dow 1 year chart is that the elliot wave?

Yeah it does. However, if it was an Elliot Wave based on that alone, we'd be in the Wave 4. Meaning once this downside ends, we're headed for a higher top and then a correction. However, Elliot Waves are based on fractals meaning there are different timelines (grand, super, cycle, primary, intermediate, minor, minute, minuette, subminuette), similar to daily, hourly, minute charts. I've known serious "Ellioticians" to go back to the beginning of an index or stock to figure out their counts. Meaning although the chart looks like it's an elliot wave, unless the bottom of the market begins a new wave to most Ellioticians, the count might not be what you think it is and may just appear to look like a wave. Most people who use Elliot Waves believe we're in a bear market right now anyway, meaning that the waves are upside down, leaving one to assume the rally from March on is simply an A-B-C correction.

I don't believe in Elliot Waves per se (the whole idea of a guaranteed 5 count with a 3 count correction seems to precise IMO). I do believe, however, that there are "waves" in how buying and selling occurs in a stock. Meaning that whenever a stock moves over a period in time, there will be "marks" left by participants showing their actions. Institutions and other participants who always trade a certain company will buy and sell in similar patterns over time, leaving their "mark". When events occur in the market, their reaction can be expected to create a similar "mark" which allows you to trade off of it. It isn't quantifiable but something you can just notice. It probably sounds stupid and I'm not very good at explaining it. It's just a theory I have and I've seen work from others that, to me, reinforce it (e.g. Soros' Theory of Reflexivity).

Since you guys love penny stocks, here's one that should be real volatile in the near future: NBG. It's the National Bank of Greece. Considering all the hoopla over Greece (and it's possibly bankruptcy) nowadays, it should definitely be in play. After what Germany said today, if you don't have a margin account, you're going to miss out.

LOL  Your too smart for NT and for us.

NBG's 20+% gain passed on speculative efforts already.  The dust was kicked up.  Typical DUBAI shet, typical FIAT. 

I wouldn't necessarily touch those POS sub $5 stocks because the gaps will destroy you, but for 'gamblers', you could. 

Street took some good news, in that it rallied back strong, but for the most part, it was flat today.  The sell off red days are so obviously buyoed by something.

LONG
OIL
CAT

Looking at something more conrete,  for long term. Will ponder if oil can fight its way back up.  The correlation still rests in the dollar.  Because of data, I am expecting and watching the USD as the cue for its swing. 

But all indicators are pointing south, as we are in that final cross road.  Precious and commods are getting the pounding.  When the equilibirum finds itself, that's when we'll see.  

Oil cannot dip under $70, on any one's radar.  If it does, it does not hold well.  This is correlated highly w/ the USD.  The USD is the canary in the mine. 

Oil is ranged bound in this 'great recession'. 

If DOLLAR continues to engorge itself into 81+, then keep an eye on the equities. although I beleive the 2% drop was the equilbirium.

Oil should rise
Dollar should fall
Gold should rise

Originally Posted by CjMoney

My current plays:

EXC (cheap, stable, 4.6% dividend)- largest holding
T (just a place to park some cash at 6.7% with little downside risk for a while)
Just picked up some C, stop loss is in at 2.95. Lot of big dogs in recently and if the government, price Al-Waleed, and others paid 3.25 I'm good with taking a flier on it.

C is a gamble. EXC and T are capital preservation and a nice chance to make a safe double digit return in a year. (money I can't afford to lose (will get out if I lose 10ish percent.

What I really want to research and possibly get in on is BYD (chinese battery/car company) Ticker BYDDF, I'm still mad I didn't look into this enough to realize I could have bought shares last year. Buffett and Munger were all about it especially Munger at last years Berkshire meeting. What a great experience that was btw. Bought a B share and held on to it long enough for it to pay for my trip out there. Sold it a while ago though, needed to get liquid at the time.
nicve

what is the best brokerage to trade oil futures and what not?
as well as currencies?

is there any brokerage that does it all? lets you trade equities, fixed income, currencies, derivatives, futures, etc?

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

LONG
OIL
CAT
Oil should rise
Dollar should fall
Gold should rise

Peeps should peep CAT today
wink.gif

Same w/ OIL
wink.gif

Will probably close.

is it worth getting BRKb today? i know it's risen quite a bit

but all fund managers will have to buy this as part of their portfolios

Originally Posted by teddy jam

is it worth getting BRKb today? i know it's risen quite a bit

but all fund managers will have to buy this as part of their portfolios

Not sure, but I can tell you, today Smart Money is shook people out of their pockets.  Yes, they shook me too, 'today'. =|

I ain't gonna front, but I am going to use mental stops this time around for some positions.

I am 'bullish' and will carry into weekend.

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

Not sure, but I can tell you, today Smart Money is shook people out of their pockets.  Yes, they shook me too, 'today'. =|

I ain't gonna front, but I am going to use mental stops this time around for some positions.

I am 'bullish' and will carry into weekend.

I am holding positions from Friday.

LONG

-Oil
-Large Caps
-Financials
-Indices

Of course, don't forget to set your stops! =)

Originally Posted by Scarface2k1

any plays you guys got coming this week?

Played LVS on earnings. They come out tomorrow. I took profit today. Might get in tomorrow if earnings are good.

In @ 15.35
Out @ 17.49

LVS is a swing traders dream.

Originally Posted by teddy jam

^do you just swing trade LVS now? i remember u having a big position in it holding long-term

My long term position is locked in a safe. I focus on a handful of stocks that have crazy swings, particularly LVS. Just use the 60 min and 1 min charts to enter and exit. Can make $3k-5k a week easy. I've become a bit more conservative now with the markets getting a little toppy.

Originally Posted by jordan23collecta

chico,

when you swing LVS how much are you putting into it initially in order to be satisfied with your return?

-J23C

When I swing trade a stock, I purchase it in 3-4 tiers and keep averageing down when it drops to the next support level. This time around, I bought 1500 shares of LVS in one tier which I shouldn't have down, but it worked out well. So at 15.35, 1500 shares would cost $23k. Sold them at 17.49 for a $3200 profit.

^^

very nice. Im working on learning a little more about bigger stocks after dealing with strictly penny's for almost a year. thanks for the insight

-J23C

$USD on strong uptrend. $VIX forming bull flag on the weekly. Don't let this rally fool you. I believe we're still heading lower.

All IMO.

Originally Posted by LiLcHiCo4LiFe

$USD on strong uptrend. $VIX forming bull flag on the weekly. Don't let this rally fool you. I believe we're still heading lower.

All IMO.

whats symbol to DJIA  on TOS?

Oh.. Yah. I get confused w/ the symbols. They should have some standard.
Thanks.

My Plays:

I am still holding my positions into tomorrow. I closed some for profit and readjusted my stops a bit, that would still net me green should anything happen. These were my positions from 'Friday'. Keep in mind, my sentiment have been Bullish since last Friday.

Great pop up and just a great ride up north. I agree w/ lilchico, in that there could be a possible reversal, or 'profit' taking. However, I am expecting this to be legit. Though, I can't confirm on this yet.

anyone ever use WELLSTRADE? (wellsfargos site) ?

this is my year to start trading and etc.
where to start?
i need a book or a video.

Back
Top Bottom