OGs - where are they?

Years ago I used to get on ebay and see OG after OG.  Now there are hardly any listed.  It appears there is a shortage - collectors have scooped them up and they are now sitting in their private collections.  It seems that with a shortage, the price would go up, but it also appears there aren't many in the OG game anymore.  The "new breed" seem to care more about the retros and the next release.  Perhaps it's just a different generation that cannot appreciate the OG's because they weren't around for them.  Thoughts?

Interesting point.  Funny thing is some OG shoes can be 20+ years old, or at least 15 (XIIIs).  Wearability maybe an issue?  I think they might slowly becoming extinct in some cases.  Just my thought

Originally Posted by Diamond Mike 75

Interesting point.  Funny thing is some OG shoes can be 20+ years old, or at least 15 (XIIIs).  Wearability maybe an issue?  I think they might slowly becoming extinct in some cases.  Just my thought
I agree. I think they're just starting to get too old to wear, so it's harder to sell (or just pointless to even try). and like you said OP, they're probably with people who don't want to sell them and would rather keep them, whether it's because they actually really like the pair or they know how much it's worth. 

No doubt some hold up, OG XII and XIIIs are tanks.  Even though the XIIIs tongue gets hard.  Each person depending on how well the shoe is cared for, determines longevity in the sneaker

I have a pair of OG XIII's and still wear them regularly. They are most definitely tanks.

I think it really just depends on what model you're looking for.

I still rock a whole lot of OG's, really does depend on how the shoe was stored & which model it is. Some you just know you cant mess with em.

My bred xi's are still wearable, the fiber still intact and not cracked. '99 Oreos crumbled however
frown.gif

Every single pair that people had wrapped in plastic is destroyed, but a lotta people thought that was the way to keep 'em, a lot of 'em have been WORN too. Besides, we're talking about something that's been sitting around for 20+ years past its intended use. Its not like a car where u can change the fluids and put a new battery in it. The shoe has a shelf life. Its meant to be worn til its thrashed, then you move on to next year's shoe

dude, theres a bunch of OGs on ebay bro.

type OG AIR JORDAN , i just saw a pair of og chicago 10s, for $1700 lol

a lot of ogs but a lot of them are very pricey,

Originally Posted by shoediniDC

They crumbled. And turned to dust.
Those Jordans which are using PU soles and have much rubber on it (III, IV, VI) are more affected to degenerate.
Others like using Phylon midsoles (AJ VII, X, XI, XII etc.) usually last longer and the only thing you will notice

is that the glue might lose its strength and you need to fix the soles with super glue.

Originally Posted by ALittleBitCooler

Originally Posted by Diamond Mike 75

I agree. I think they're just starting to get too old to wear, so it's harder to sell (or just pointless to even try). and like you said OP, they're probably with people who don't want to sell them and would rather keep them, whether it's because they actually really like the pair or they know how much it's worth. 
^that.
go ahead and risk breaking out a ds pair from 2000 and past not worth the midsoles crumbling before your eyes 
embarassed.gif

also the values are up there depending on model and colorway, but its becoming harder and harder to find a buyer that is willing to pay a premium for older pairs because they can either buy a newer retro'ed model that will hold up for years to come or just wait for someone that is in need of cash and is willing to sell pairs from collections for cheap which is more common now a days.. i remember seeing concord, colombia, and space jam 11's at 500+ maybe a year or two ago and now can be found around mid 300 range if you are willing to look. along with other jordans that went for around that price (black cement 3 w "nike air" jordan white cement 4's infrared 6's).. lesson learned about jordans sometimes its better to just wait it out especially when you know prices aren't always gonna be up.

I still wear my OG XII and XIII. WHile the XII had only a minor spot needed to be glued,
both XIII i own needed to be almost fully glued at the midsole areas.
But they are still wearable though i would not ball in them anymore...cushioning is
almost non existent and i don't want cause too much force on the material too.

most people buy shoes to wear, nowadays no one will know the difference between ur og flints and ur recent retros..

let me tell you

i was lucky enough to be born at just the right time

i was at the perfect age to be able to Experience every og jordan and was old enough to actually know what shoes were about

not like some people who say ,

yeah i go way back , i had the og jordan 5's when i was like 3 yrs. old

ive had every pair of OG jordans in almost every hot og colorway there is since day 1
(i got the og jordan 1's in 1985 when i was 14 yrs. old)

so i can tell you how og jordans held up back in the day and how they would fair today over 25 yrs. later.

right from the start you can tell what shoes would hold up and what pairs wont

the jordan og 1's were indestructable back in the day and they are just as good today

the jordan 2's 3's were sweet back in the day and held up for me but just by the way they are made with there think foam mid sole's
you just know they were not going to be a long life shoe

now shoes like the og 10's , 12's were tanks , i beat the hell out of those shoes and they would still keep going and you can get a pair today and wear them with no problem

i think the best og shoes are 1's and 12's as far as long life

there are some og's on ebay but if you look there are always only certain ones like 1's , 10's 11's 12's 13's and up

you see a few 2's 5's 6's 7's once in awhile but you hardly ever see 3's or 4's and if you do see them they are shot ,no good and cracked.

i think the reason you just dont see that many of them now is they are either in a good home or they are in shoe heaven......................peace23

You're right, as something to wear there is really no difference in the Retro 7s and after and the OGs.

However, I didn't think people were ever buying og $450+ DS jordans to wear. I'm sure there were some, but I thought most were buying them as collectibles. I guess that's what's dying - Jordan "collectors".

I only joined the craze like 8 years ago.. and ofcourse i want more OG's but the problem is that its tough to drop almost double for a pair that (most likely has a retro) knowing that it could crumble the first i day i rock it. And other than 3s, 4s, 5s and 6s with the Nike Air.. there is visably not such a big difference.

DO NOT GET ME WRONG, I HATE RETROS.. just saying what i think people are thinking.

as soon as a shoe retro comes out you see the OG's pop out way more
Like the IV cement samples leaked & kids immediately popped up OG pairs on ebay to clean them out.

The good thing about the retro's is that the og's are usually lower then normal since they are just trying tomove them.

A lot of truth is being spoken in this thread.
I have a few things that I wear that still hold up, og x's, og bordeaux, etc.
3,4,5,6,7,8,9 are usual un wearabale though.
All of it has to do with the materials used that have dried up. (foam, polyurethane, etc.)
On the other hand though, it depends on how you store them.
There are a lot of people who saran wrap them which really suffocates the shoe.
If you store them in a dry, low lighted place, they hold up fine.
Humidity is a killer after a while, but yeah I have seen many jump on the retros for whatever reason lately.
I just can't do it though, the quality & stuff has plummeted.
sick.gif

i think some shoes are worse tha others at holding up with their age but i also believe if you wear them occasionally and clean them to make them still look good but you wore them then they should hold up for an extreme amount of time, just remember to let them breathe and wear them or they will die quick

yeh, im not afraid to admit it, tha ti more of a newer generation type. like i was around for the older kinds, but i never reall got into jordans till recently, cuz im young haha. but although i have some og's, like og fire red 5s, is because the Vs are a very durable model. im not really a big fan of OG's, because im a firm believer in wearing all my shoes, and most of the shoes with the NIKE AIR on the back are very prone to cracking..

People look forward to retros so that they can cop at retail and wear them. Collectors spend major money to collect.... not wear. Simple as that.

Man, you small footers have all the stock/luck in the world.

Finding OGs in my size (11.5-12) is damn near impossible on Ebay. =(

Back
Top Bottom