On Its Way Out? Is The Manual Transmission Finally Saying Goodbye?

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Ahh yes... the good old Man laws. Couldn't wait for that crap to be brought up.

What makes up a real man has nothing to do with the stuff he owns or likes.

I'm sounding like DC, I know.

Qft

Qft

Originally Posted by kirbin

Qft

Man Law #2 Don't wine like a little girls cause Man Law doesnt rule in your favor.

Qft

Man Law #2 Don't wine like a little girls cause Man Law doesnt rule in your favor.

grin.gif
manuals really aren't a big deal in traffic once you get used to them.  besides driving an automated manual in stop and go is so much more annoying.  starting and stopping in a gt-r feels like a 15 year old learning how to drive a stick for the first time.

grin.gif
manuals really aren't a big deal in traffic once you get used to them.  besides driving an automated manual in stop and go is so much more annoying.  starting and stopping in a gt-r feels like a 15 year old learning how to drive a stick for the first time.

Originally Posted by MOchi

Qft

so man law #3 should a man really have more shoes then a girl? do you think real men need 10+ pairs of shoes? or even want to spend $150+ on them?. shouldnt a real man have
1 pair of work shoes, 1 pair of dress shoes, 1 pair for every day shoes?

Originally Posted by MOchi

Qft

so man law #3 should a man really have more shoes then a girl? do you think real men need 10+ pairs of shoes? or even want to spend $150+ on them?. shouldnt a real man have
1 pair of work shoes, 1 pair of dress shoes, 1 pair for every day shoes?

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

If you're truly a driving enthusiast, you should like these new and improved super-automatic transmissions like the ones mentioned in the article. Chances are you are no Schumacher or Gordon, and the technology will be shifting itself exponentially better than you could--not an attack, but there's an extremely high likelihood that any driver can't shift as well as some highly innovative transmission technology... except professional race car drivers.

It's not like they're watering down these super cars by making them automatic--they're actually making them more effective in the hands of most drivers.

Yep.

not really relevant since it doesn't change your argument but FYI those F1 drivers don't use manuals, they use paddle shifters with no clutch pedal.........paddle shifters in road cars came from F1 technology.

the latest F1 gearboxes in Ferrari automobiles and the like shift faster than is physically possible.....nobody can make gear shifts in under 50 ms. and the dual clutch gearboxes are even more effective.

but that's the thing.....none of us are (to use more modern names
glasses.gif
) hamilton or alonso. we don't get our driving satisfaction from shaving hundredths of a second off of lap times on race tracks.

for most driving enthusiasts, being in complete control of the car is a much more exciting and rewarding experience than having the car make decisions for you, even if it can do it better than you.

i could definitely run a faster lap time in an AWD, F1-transmission car with the traction control on. doesn't mean it's a better drive. gimme a RWD 6 spd, no electronic aids, it'll be way more challenging and i'll have the time of my life.
you gotta remember though...whats fun for you isn't gonna be fun for other people.

da CTS-V and Camaro SS all use automatic systems that are superior to their manual counterparts.

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

If you're truly a driving enthusiast, you should like these new and improved super-automatic transmissions like the ones mentioned in the article. Chances are you are no Schumacher or Gordon, and the technology will be shifting itself exponentially better than you could--not an attack, but there's an extremely high likelihood that any driver can't shift as well as some highly innovative transmission technology... except professional race car drivers.

It's not like they're watering down these super cars by making them automatic--they're actually making them more effective in the hands of most drivers.

Yep.

not really relevant since it doesn't change your argument but FYI those F1 drivers don't use manuals, they use paddle shifters with no clutch pedal.........paddle shifters in road cars came from F1 technology.

the latest F1 gearboxes in Ferrari automobiles and the like shift faster than is physically possible.....nobody can make gear shifts in under 50 ms. and the dual clutch gearboxes are even more effective.

but that's the thing.....none of us are (to use more modern names
glasses.gif
) hamilton or alonso. we don't get our driving satisfaction from shaving hundredths of a second off of lap times on race tracks.

for most driving enthusiasts, being in complete control of the car is a much more exciting and rewarding experience than having the car make decisions for you, even if it can do it better than you.

i could definitely run a faster lap time in an AWD, F1-transmission car with the traction control on. doesn't mean it's a better drive. gimme a RWD 6 spd, no electronic aids, it'll be way more challenging and i'll have the time of my life.
you gotta remember though...whats fun for you isn't gonna be fun for other people.

da CTS-V and Camaro SS all use automatic systems that are superior to their manual counterparts.

Originally Posted by Mr718

laugh.gif
These comments don't phase me.  93% of the dudes that drive manual on NT push a rust bucket anyway.  Drivin manual doesn't appeal to everyone (believe it or not).  Even in my lil tiptronic mode I forget to shift, I can just imagine how man clutches I would burn thru,
laugh.gif
Drivin while feelin on tig-ol-bitties or gettin dome >>>>>>>>> manual.
I drive a 2008 350z with 6MT.  I've gotten dome while driving it.  Just jump on the highway and turn on cruise control.

Not sure if I'll get a manual or auto transmission in my next car...  I live in Atlanta so auto would be good for the traffic but to me a stick shift has always been more fun to drive.

Originally Posted by Mr718

laugh.gif
These comments don't phase me.  93% of the dudes that drive manual on NT push a rust bucket anyway.  Drivin manual doesn't appeal to everyone (believe it or not).  Even in my lil tiptronic mode I forget to shift, I can just imagine how man clutches I would burn thru,
laugh.gif
Drivin while feelin on tig-ol-bitties or gettin dome >>>>>>>>> manual.
I drive a 2008 350z with 6MT.  I've gotten dome while driving it.  Just jump on the highway and turn on cruise control.

Not sure if I'll get a manual or auto transmission in my next car...  I live in Atlanta so auto would be good for the traffic but to me a stick shift has always been more fun to drive.

I can drive manual..
my car is Auto though...

If I'm able to get a weekend driver...then possibly that would be manual...but no use making my commute to and from the city in daily traffic a pain in the $@# just b/c I might take the car on the weekends on a spirited drive.

I can drive manual..
my car is Auto though...

If I'm able to get a weekend driver...then possibly that would be manual...but no use making my commute to and from the city in daily traffic a pain in the $@# just b/c I might take the car on the weekends on a spirited drive.

Back
Top Bottom