On Its Way Out? Is The Manual Transmission Finally Saying Goodbye?

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Improved technology leads Ferrari, Lamborghini to ditch manual transmission in cars[/h1][h4]Jason H. Harper / Bloomberg News[/h4]
This is a love letter to the manual transmission. Or perhaps its obituary.

I understand the emotion that a stick and clutch engenders. Passionate drivers often feel they're better connected to a car that can be shifted manually. Others go even further. A fellow once told me, "I'll let go of my stick when you pry it out of my dead, cold hand."

I belong in the lovers' camp: There's something lyrical about a well-executed shift -- clutch in, shift, clutch out, power on. Forget about simultaneously eating, drinking or texting. This is the art of driving.

Yet I recently sat in Ferrari's headquarters in Italy and was told, unequivocally, that the new 458 Italia would never see a manual transmission attached to its screaming V-8. The technology was too slow and outdated, the representative said.

That statement was a death rattle -- the skeleton hand gripping the cue-ball knob and shifting into history.

More than 91 percent of 2009 model-year cars sold in the United States were automatics, according to data from industry researcher Ward's Automotive Group. And while usually associated with meeker and weaker vehicles such as compacts and minivans, these days even most supercars use automated systems.

This is partly due to technology which takes the best from both worlds. "Automated manuals" are different from the traditional torque converter found in rental cars. Instead they have one or two clutches located internally.

Drivers are left with only a gas and brake pedal. The transmission can be left in automatic, or gear shifts may be actuated by shifters behind the steering wheel. Unlike that human-controlled process, single or double-clutch systems change gears in milliseconds, faster than the swipe of a samurai sword.

Of the supercars I've driven lately, including the Lamborghini LP 570-4 Superleggera, Lexus LFA, Bentley Continental Supersports and Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, not one is available with a stick.

While these technological marvels will speed to 60 miles per hour more quickly, purists argue that they're less fun to drive. Maybe. The 7-speed double-clutch on that 458 Italia is brilliant, rivaled only by the spectacular smartness of the 7-speed on the SLS. Hitting 60 mph in 3.2 seconds in the Ferrari, there was no time to mourn -- I could only hang on.

A bit of good news for holdouts. In the last months I've also tested new cars with manuals, including a Porsche 911, Suzuki SX4, Shelby GT500, Kia Forte and the BMW 5 Series. Arguably, it made them all more fun on the open road. (Traffic jams are something else entirely.)

"Europeans tend to buy manuals on entry models, while Americans view it as an option for enthusiasts," said Willem Rombauts, product manager of the new BMW 5 Series.

In North America, 10 percent of those buying the most powerful 550i will opt for the six-speed manual, he said. The rest will match the top-tier technology like optional night vision with an 8-speed auto.

BMW's corporate little brother, Mini, remains bullish on manuals. According to product manager Vincent Kung, manuals account for 34 percent, the highest rate in the compact and sub-compact segment.

"Manuals lend a special connection to the car, and that's highly appealing to our customers," he said. "Looking at the next generation of the Cooper, we'll continue to see a significant place for the manual."

Technologies like the double-clutch automated manual also cost more, Kung added. Indeed, manuals have endured because they are inexpensive to make and are highly efficient because they have little internal drag -- the resistances within the engine -- offering good gas mileage.

That's changing. Some automatics now offer better gas mileage than their manual counterparts. As carmakers look to improve the efficiency of their fleets, that's big news.

"I think the disparity will continue to grow," said Craig Renneker, Ford's chief transmission engineer. "There are many things we can do to improve the efficiency of automatics, but manual transmissions are already close to optimal."

Renneker said he thinks that the new 2011 5.0-liter V-8 Mustang has one of the best manuals "on earth." (About half the car's buyers are expected to go for the six-speed stick.) "But at this point, we don't know what else to do to improve it," he said.

I don't know how to drive stick anyway.  I'd rather use the free hand to feel-up the unsuspecting female passenger
pimp.gif

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Improved technology leads Ferrari, Lamborghini to ditch manual transmission in cars[/h1][h4]Jason H. Harper / Bloomberg News[/h4]
This is a love letter to the manual transmission. Or perhaps its obituary.

I understand the emotion that a stick and clutch engenders. Passionate drivers often feel they're better connected to a car that can be shifted manually. Others go even further. A fellow once told me, "I'll let go of my stick when you pry it out of my dead, cold hand."

I belong in the lovers' camp: There's something lyrical about a well-executed shift -- clutch in, shift, clutch out, power on. Forget about simultaneously eating, drinking or texting. This is the art of driving.

Yet I recently sat in Ferrari's headquarters in Italy and was told, unequivocally, that the new 458 Italia would never see a manual transmission attached to its screaming V-8. The technology was too slow and outdated, the representative said.

That statement was a death rattle -- the skeleton hand gripping the cue-ball knob and shifting into history.

More than 91 percent of 2009 model-year cars sold in the United States were automatics, according to data from industry researcher Ward's Automotive Group. And while usually associated with meeker and weaker vehicles such as compacts and minivans, these days even most supercars use automated systems.

This is partly due to technology which takes the best from both worlds. "Automated manuals" are different from the traditional torque converter found in rental cars. Instead they have one or two clutches located internally.

Drivers are left with only a gas and brake pedal. The transmission can be left in automatic, or gear shifts may be actuated by shifters behind the steering wheel. Unlike that human-controlled process, single or double-clutch systems change gears in milliseconds, faster than the swipe of a samurai sword.

Of the supercars I've driven lately, including the Lamborghini LP 570-4 Superleggera, Lexus LFA, Bentley Continental Supersports and Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, not one is available with a stick.

While these technological marvels will speed to 60 miles per hour more quickly, purists argue that they're less fun to drive. Maybe. The 7-speed double-clutch on that 458 Italia is brilliant, rivaled only by the spectacular smartness of the 7-speed on the SLS. Hitting 60 mph in 3.2 seconds in the Ferrari, there was no time to mourn -- I could only hang on.

A bit of good news for holdouts. In the last months I've also tested new cars with manuals, including a Porsche 911, Suzuki SX4, Shelby GT500, Kia Forte and the BMW 5 Series. Arguably, it made them all more fun on the open road. (Traffic jams are something else entirely.)

"Europeans tend to buy manuals on entry models, while Americans view it as an option for enthusiasts," said Willem Rombauts, product manager of the new BMW 5 Series.

In North America, 10 percent of those buying the most powerful 550i will opt for the six-speed manual, he said. The rest will match the top-tier technology like optional night vision with an 8-speed auto.

BMW's corporate little brother, Mini, remains bullish on manuals. According to product manager Vincent Kung, manuals account for 34 percent, the highest rate in the compact and sub-compact segment.

"Manuals lend a special connection to the car, and that's highly appealing to our customers," he said. "Looking at the next generation of the Cooper, we'll continue to see a significant place for the manual."

Technologies like the double-clutch automated manual also cost more, Kung added. Indeed, manuals have endured because they are inexpensive to make and are highly efficient because they have little internal drag -- the resistances within the engine -- offering good gas mileage.

That's changing. Some automatics now offer better gas mileage than their manual counterparts. As carmakers look to improve the efficiency of their fleets, that's big news.

"I think the disparity will continue to grow," said Craig Renneker, Ford's chief transmission engineer. "There are many things we can do to improve the efficiency of automatics, but manual transmissions are already close to optimal."

Renneker said he thinks that the new 2011 5.0-liter V-8 Mustang has one of the best manuals "on earth." (About half the car's buyers are expected to go for the six-speed stick.) "But at this point, we don't know what else to do to improve it," he said.

I don't know how to drive stick anyway.  I'd rather use the free hand to feel-up the unsuspecting female passenger
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Mr718

[h1][/h1]

pimp.gif
lame.

And if those two makes stop making manuals, it doesn't faze me. 997 911 turbo for me
happy.gif

And standard is what real men/enthusiast drive.

/thread

6MT STAND UP!

[h1][/h1]

pimp.gif
lame.

And if those two makes stop making manuals, it doesn't faze me. 997 911 turbo for me
happy.gif

/thread

6MT STAND UP!

Manual transmissions have been saying goodbye for awhile. Too much stop and go traffic these days. No one wants the hassle.

Plus everyone wants eat, drink, and talk while driving.
smh.gif

I took me a month to find stick when I was looking. When I finally found one, I said eff it.

Manual transmissions have been saying goodbye for awhile. Too much stop and go traffic these days. No one wants the hassle.

Plus everyone wants eat, drink, and talk while driving.
smh.gif

I took me a month to find stick when I was looking. When I finally found one, I said eff it.

laugh.gif
OP no hate, you not knowing how to drive stick isnt the reason you're not driving a lambo or ferrari.

laugh.gif
OP no hate, you not knowing how to drive stick isnt the reason you're not driving a lambo or ferrari.

Originally Posted by MOchi

[h1][/h1]

pimp.gif
lame.

happy.gif

/thread

6MT STAND UP!

Manual is dead.Based on this response, i can tell you have a difficult time obtaining buns.

[h1][/h1]

pimp.gif
lame.

happy.gif

/thread

6MT STAND UP!

Manual is dead.Based on this response, i can tell you have a difficult time obtaining buns.

If you're truly a driving enthusiast, you should like these new and improved super-automatic transmissions like the ones mentioned in the article. Chances are you are no Schumacher or Gordon, and the technology will be shifting itself exponentially better than you could--not an attack, but there's an extremely high likelihood that any driver can't shift as well as some highly innovative transmission technology... except professional race car drivers.

It's not like they're watering down these super cars by making them automatic--they're actually making them more effective in the hands of most drivers.

If you're truly a driving enthusiast, you should like these new and improved super-automatic transmissions like the ones mentioned in the article. Chances are you are no Schumacher or Gordon, and the technology will be shifting itself exponentially better than you could--not an attack, but there's an extremely high likelihood that any driver can't shift as well as some highly innovative transmission technology... except professional race car drivers.

It's not like they're watering down these super cars by making them automatic--they're actually making them more effective in the hands of most drivers.

Originally Posted by GetThisMoney

[h1][/h1]

pimp.gif
lame.

happy.gif

/thread

6MT STAND UP!

please enlighten me on how "manual is dead"
but before you do, let me ask you this... do you know how to drive stick?

Originally Posted by GetThisMoney

[h1][/h1]

pimp.gif
lame.

happy.gif

/thread

6MT STAND UP!

please enlighten me on how "manual is dead"
but before you do, let me ask you this... do you know how to drive stick?

the truth is, none of us will ever own a supercar. i can understand why they're going away from manual trans. teens with rich dads want cars that make them feel like a superdriver and technology is aimed to do just that. even in everyday cars people want a free hand to grab a drink, answer their cell, whatever else it maybe so its no surprise that manuals are becoming a rare purchase.

learnt how to drive a standard when i was 12 and ive never looked back. parents owned automatics through my teen years but i went right back to manual after uni and i've never looked back since.

the truth is, none of us will ever own a supercar. i can understand why they're going away from manual trans. teens with rich dads want cars that make them feel like a superdriver and technology is aimed to do just that. even in everyday cars people want a free hand to grab a drink, answer their cell, whatever else it maybe so its no surprise that manuals are becoming a rare purchase.

learnt how to drive a standard when i was 12 and ive never looked back. parents owned automatics through my teen years but i went right back to manual after uni and i've never looked back since.

Some of you are just talking to talk, if you've never driven a manual transmission car then you can't relate to how much more control you have over the car. Id choose manual over auto anyday. I drive a manual 545i, had a handfull of honda/acuras in manual as well and its a completely different driving experience. It's sad Mercedes doesn't offer it. I hope BMW doesn't do away with it. I'm sure Porsche won't change suit. 911 turbo is my realistic dream car.

Back
Top Bottom