Parking Spots: Am I The Only One That Doesn't Care To Look For Ones Close To My Location?

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

So that 1/3 of a car length matters? Its a parking lot, cars arent doing 60 through the aisles. If you back up properly, you wont hit anything and no one will hit you.
come on... I was with you up until then. If you're going to argue your side at least be intellectually honest.

you don't think that extra 1/3 counts?... and as for cars not doing 60 mph...sure...but today's drivers are even more distracted than ever... driving down 30-35 mph down a parking lot lane and distracted while trying to text or answer a call is not far fetched at all.

if you think that the extra 1/3 of your car sticking out of the spot doesn't make a difference when it comes to then I don't know what to say.

I know it doesnt have an impact on my life. I never claimed it did.
yes, I know...but why does it "disgust you?"...obviously you're vehemently against it or else you would not have used such words. I was curious why

What isnt intellectually honest? Cars arent doing 60 in a lot. Ive never seen a car do 35 in a lot either. In a parking lot setting, 35 is FAST.

How many cares are driving through the lot looking for parking spots, while speeding profusely AND texting? Its one thing to text on the highway, but ive never come across people texting while trying to park.

I dont think that 1/3 matters. Thats a few feet. If you slowly back out of a spot, like its recommended, the other person will see you.

like I said...I've driving for over 16 yrs... I definitely have indeed seen people going 30+ MPH in a parking lot...many a time.
they are texting, talking on the phone, not paying attention all the while driving through parking lots. If you haven't seen that... then you haven'tbeen driving that long...or you're not in an area that gets a lot of traffic/congestion.

that 1/3 does make a difference when it comes to you being able to see what's coming down the lane...but lets negate that for a minute...

....say you back out of the spot.. you have turn your head over your right shoulder to view the field.... so can pretty much see everything to the rear...andto the right.
now...to see what's to the left of you... you're going to have to turn your head all the way around ....which takes say 1 second...in that one second..a car traveling at even 20 MPH travels ~30 feet.
as opposed to pulling out forward... you already have a much greater field of view for you to see.

yes..if you back out slowly... chances are people will see you...but me?...I personally would prefer to put more of the accident avoidance in my own handsrather than relying on someone else.
It disgusts me because the people who do it are either A: WAYY too into their car or B: Think it makes a difference in time.
1. like I said..I initially started doing it b/c my front headlights got stolen..this was a way for me to make my car less of a target... it'smuch harder to take headlights from the parking lot lane than from in between cars.
2. I don't even think it's much of a time saver...since you "lose" time reversing into the spot...albeit only maybe an additional 15-20seconds...but the real advantage is the increased visibility and safety you get from being able to pull out instead of backing out.

Im not vehemently against it. Its his/her on parking technique, I just dont any reason to do it so it baffles me.

I def do see a reason though....I just find it odd that parking backwards would "disgust" you.

^

Yo I remember when that became pandemic about dudes getting their headlight assembly stolen from their Maxima's.

I started seeing it often... like 6-9 cars per month drive by with their lights missing.

I would pass Nissan repair shop and they'd have like 5-6 cars sitting out front with the lights missing, and that's when I found out how much they weregoing for.

I hope that isn't a widespread problem with the 04's
nerd.gif

it's not the fact that they were stolen.
the bigger PIA was that it was so rampant that there was no supply... so your car was out of commission for a month.

plus... the insurance replacement value was 5K for the housing and light bulb... so depending on your insurance.. you were out your deductible...anywhere from250 to 1000.

always park in the back, the extra walk is nothing, I enjoy it, its so hectic up front, and so stupid how people risk getting side wrecked and waiting over 30minutes over a dumb parking, esp. during holiday season its insane

I usually park far away during the day. People who ride with me already know they'll be walking a bit if they are with me.

At night, I park closer with my pepper spray in my palm just because I'm paranoid that I'll get assaulted.

So that 1/3 of a car length matters? Its a parking lot, cars arent doing 60 through the aisles. If you back up properly, you wont hit anything and no one will hit you.
come on... I was with you up until then. If you're going to argue your side at least be intellectually honest.

you don't think that extra 1/3 counts?... and as for cars not doing 60 mph...sure...but today's drivers are even more distracted than ever... driving down 30-35 mph down a parking lot lane and distracted while trying to text or answer a call is not far fetched at all.

if you think that the extra 1/3 of your car sticking out of the spot doesn't make a difference when it comes to then I don't know what to say.

I know it doesnt have an impact on my life. I never claimed it did.
yes, I know...but why does it "disgust you?"...obviously you're vehemently against it or else you would not have used such words. I was curious why

What isnt intellectually honest? Cars arent doing 60 in a lot. Ive never seen a car do 35 in a lot either. In a parking lot setting, 35 is FAST.

How many cares are driving through the lot looking for parking spots, while speeding profusely AND texting? Its one thing to text on the highway, but ive never come across people texting while trying to park.

I dont think that 1/3 matters. Thats a few feet. If you slowly back out of a spot, like its recommended, the other person will see you.

like I said...I've driving for over 16 yrs... I definitely have indeed seen people going 30+ MPH in a parking lot...many a time.
they are texting, talking on the phone, not paying attention all the while driving through parking lots. If you haven't seen that... then you haven't been driving that long...or you're not in an area that gets a lot of traffic/congestion.

that 1/3 does make a difference when it comes to you being able to see what's coming down the lane...but lets negate that for a minute...

....say you back out of the spot.. you have turn your head over your right shoulder to view the field.... so can pretty much see everything to the rear...and to the right.
now...to see what's to the left of you... you're going to have to turn your head all the way around ....which takes say 1 second...in that one second.. a car traveling at even 20 MPH travels ~30 feet.
as opposed to pulling out forward... you already have a much greater field of view for you to see.

yes..if you back out slowly... chances are people will see you...but me?...I personally would prefer to put more of the accident avoidance in my own hands rather than relying on someone else.
It disgusts me because the people who do it are either A: WAYY too into their car or B: Think it makes a difference in time.
1. like I said..I initially started doing it b/c my front headlights got stolen..this was a way for me to make my car less of a target... it's much harder to take headlights from the parking lot lane than from in between cars.
2. I don't even think it's much of a time saver...since you "lose" time reversing into the spot...albeit only maybe an additional 15-20 seconds...but the real advantage is the increased visibility and safety you get from being able to pull out instead of backing out.

Im not vehemently against it. Its his/her on parking technique, I just dont any reason to do it so it baffles me.

I def do see a reason though....I just find it odd that parking backwards would "disgust" you.

Its an opinion call, but I dont see any reason why I (or anyone else) should feel the need to learn to park backwards for added "safety of myheadlights".

The whole parking backward thing comes across as an "elitist" move in my opinion. I view them the same way I view cars parked at an angle taking up2 spots.

Its an opinion call, but I dont see any reason why I (or anyone else) should feel the need to learn to park backwards for added "safety of my headlights".
parking backwards had the lights out in a more visible area vs parking forward where thieves can easily conceal themselves in between the cars.

you didn't have to deal with your lights being stolen... having your car out of commission for a full month...and having to pay a $500 insurancedeductible, all b/c some criminal wanted xenon headlights to sell for pennies on the dollar.

so yeah..it's in an opinion call..even if you don't agree with me on the driving mechanics or the safety of your car....how can you deny that parkingforward in my case isn't a theft deterrent?

The whole parking backward thing comes across as an "elitist" move in my opinion. I view them the same way I view cars parked at an angle taking up 2 spots.
how is it "elitist?" I don't get it.

cars that take up 2 spots is a completely different animal... that driver is a prick...with no regard for anyone else...
all we're doing is parking backwards..how does that impact anyone else besides the driver who does it?.. and like I said...I don't even do it when thelot is crowded or when there is someone behind me b/c I don't want to lose the spot and I know that it takes longer..thus inconveniencing the driver behindme.

Its an opinion call, but I dont see any reason why I (or anyone else) should feel the need to learn to park backwards for added "safety of my headlights".
parking backwards had the lights out in a more visible area vs parking forward where thieves can easily conceal themselves in between the cars.

you didn't have to deal with your lights being stolen... having your car out of commission for a full month...and having to pay a $500 insurance deductible, all b/c some criminal wanted xenon headlights to sell for pennies on the dollar.

so yeah..it's in an opinion call..even if you don't agree with me on the driving mechanics or the safety of your car....how can you deny that parking forward in my case isn't a theft deterrent?

The whole parking backward thing comes across as an "elitist" move in my opinion. I view them the same way I view cars parked at an angle taking up 2 spots.

cars that take up 2 spots is a completely different animal... that driver is a prick...with no regard for anyone else...
all we're doing is parking backwards..how does that impact anyone else besides the driver who does it?.. and like I said...I don't even do it when the lot is crowded or when there is someone behind me b/c I don't want to lose the spot and I know that it takes longer..thus inconveniencing the driver behind me.

Yeah, in your case it can be a theft deterrent. The same can be said for not having those headlights (assuming they're after-market) or having an alarmsystem. If someone wants your headlights, hes still going to take them with your car forward or backward.

Other than the 1% of people who have been in your situation, its pointless to do.

you didn't have to deal with your lights being stolen... having your car out of commission for a full month...and having to pay a $500 insurance deductible, all b/c some criminal wanted xenon headlights to sell for pennies on the dollar.

so yeah..it's in an opinion call..even if you don't agree with me on the driving mechanics or the safety of your car....how can you deny that parking forward in my case isn't a theft deterrent?

all we're doing is parking backwards..how does that impact anyone else besides the driver who does it?.. and like I said...I don't even do it when the lot is crowded or when there is someone behind me b/c I don't want to lose the spot and I know that it takes longer..thus inconveniencing the driver behind me.

Yeah, in your case it can be a theft deterrent. The same can be said for not having those headlights (assuming they're after-market) or having an alarm system. If someone wants your headlights, hes still going to take them with your car forward or backward.

Other than the 1% of people who have been in your situation, its pointless to do.

1. they aren't aftermarket
2. my car does have an alarm system
see the link I posted previously.. it was an issue many 5th gen maxima owners had
and while a thief will do what they want to do...I'm not about to make it easier for them....do you leave your house door wide open so just anyone can comein...or do you lock it?

You still have not explained how it is "elitist" though.

Originally Posted by J Dilla Himself

Son said parking backwards comes off as "elitist"
laugh.gif
you cant be serious, dog

roll.gif
That might be the wildest thing I have ever read on here. Someone is anelitist because they don't want their property tampered with. Where the hell is the logic in that

I normally just park in the back of a parking lot because I don't want anyone or anything (carts, etc.)to hit my truck!!...

But sometimes, I get lazy and just park in the handicapped spot if I know im goin to be < 15 min in that establishment...

Every person ive seen who has done this comes off with an elitist attitude. It's an attitude the person portrays. It's an unnecessary act and doingso sets them apart from everyone else.

laugh.gif
you cant be serious, dog
I am.

roll.gif
That might be the wildest thing I have ever read on here. Someone is an elitist because they don't want their property tampered with. Where the hell is the logic in that

Before it was even mentioned in this thread, I bet you had never heard of someone reversing into a spot so they dont get their headlights stolen. Youreassuming that everyone reverses into a spot because of headlight issues.

Every person ive seen who has done this comes off with an elitist attitude. It's an attitude the person portrays. It's an unnecessary act and doing so sets them apart from everyone else.

laugh.gif
you cant be serious, dog
I am.

roll.gif
That might be the wildest thing I have ever read on here. Someone is an elitist because they don't want their property tampered with. Where the hell is the logic in that

Before it was even mentioned in this thread, I bet you had never heard of someone reversing into a spot so they dont get their headlights stolen. Youre assuming that everyone reverses into a spot because of headlight issues.

You are out of your mind duke.

Back
Top Bottom