Paying The Cost To Be The Boss?

Me and my boy were brainstorming different ways to level up, that most people just aren't willing to do. We discussed:

OT - Either find a job that has 10-12 hr shifts, or where you can work 7 days a week. (But then again most millennials have trouble even working a full 40 hrs) Interestingly, most companies pay 1.5 to work on Sunday, regardless of how many hours you worked that week. Also FedEx and UPS calculates theirs on a daily basis, anything over 6 hours is OT.

Dressin' Up - Jobs that require a uniform, or bulky gear. For example, as a security guard you might be rocking anywhere from 5-10 pounds worth of stuff. Protective Vest, Taser, Flashlight, CB Radio, Baton. In the waste management field, you might be rocking a full body hazmat suit with a respirator. Handymen need a tool belt with hammers, screwdrivers, measuring tapes and wrenches.

Extreme Temps - There's alot of factories where it's 45 degrees in there (this industry is called GMP). The first 5-6 weeks your nose runs constantly but after that you adapt to it. There's also ones that are 20 degrees that pay very well, but if you have any type of facial hair the condensation freezes, and when you go in your lunch break it thaws...only to freeze again the moment you step back out onto the floor.

Learning a 2nd Language - I think everyone has pretty much worked a job where the coworkers didn't speak any English which led to setbacks in the workflow. On his lunch break my boy would go on Google Translate and use the double tap so he could practice in slow motion. Surprisingly he got pretty good to communicate basic directions after a few weeks, although when people would respond he could barely understand.

But yeah, places will promote you literally 10x as fast, even if you only speak the 2nd language at an Elementary level. But you do gotta learn a certain amount of words a day which is time consuming. To make it fun he says learn groups of words - colors, days of the week, animals etc.

Traveling - I think everybody knows that truckers make serious bank, but there's alot of other types of work where they'll send you to one location for like 6-8 weeks at a time. And you get what's called a "per diem" to live in a hotel. Naturally you'll make friends with co-workers and can go half on a hotel, and pocket the remainder.

What types of dues have you paid? What kind of working conditions would you tolerate if it meant an extra 10-15 bucks per hour?

I can’t do OT

my job offers unlimited with extremely great pay which makes it worth it but I’m a 40 hour guy. I get paid great but OT is where it’s at when you get paid time and half anything over 40 and double time on sundays work 10 hours a day making $30++ to start where I’m at

I take all the OT I can get. I'm used to working 12 hour shifts, and my full time is 4 days a week/10hrs, so if they ask me to stay extra, no biggie. After 12 hours it's double-time (2x pay). If I come into work to help out on where I'm not scheduled it's all overtime (1.5x pay).
Got a second per diem job with no benefits (benefits provided from my full time), they give higher pay since they don't pay for benefits.

i am in a good place professionally but still am trying to sort out what it is I am willing to put myself through to ‘level up’

With that being said, for people who allegedly don’t want to work traditional type jobs millennials sure don’t hesitate to spend traditional type money :lol:

I dedicate a lot of effort to be around my daughters. So i have opportunities ive turned down to level up, but it will away time i deem vital from them.

i may need to revisit that mentality. I think working from home, if it becomes permanent in my industry, can make that move to director or comptroller easier.

I’ve done roofing and concrete. Off and on for 10 years. My dad has a construction business. I’ve worked at hotels, went to college. Left home and lived in another state. Sold weed. Sold shoes and clothes online. Got my first job at 18. I don’t anyone S***^

(roofing is BY FAR, the hardest job I’ve ever had).

When they announce OT is available

tenor (67).gif

i am in a good place professionally but still am trying to sort out what it is I am willing to put myself through to ‘level up’

With that being said, for people who allegedly don’t want to work traditional type jobs millennials sure don’t hesitate to spend traditional type money :lol:

What is a "traditional type job"? And I thought the stereotype was that millenials are ruining the economy by not spending money :lol:

I try to work smarter, not harder. But do you OP.

Edit:
I guess I should say, my level up was learning how to invest and stock trade online. There are so many credible resources these day. So I work 40 hrs a week at my job, while my money is working for me as well. Its a great way to build wealth if you can manage your emotions and be principled.

It doesnt rely on me exerting more energy or my body enduring more stressful environments. Just dedicating more time to learning to have unlimited gaines. OT, your trading x amount if time for x amount of money, that the government rips off you as well. (Yea they take investment gains, but I didnt have to sweat for it so it bugs me less).

I guess it aint for eveyone, but like i said, do you OP. Hope you find success.

Last edited:
What is a "traditional type job"? And I thought the stereotype was that millenials are ruining the economy by not spending money :lol:

That typical 9-5. Which I don’t really blame them.

And in my circles millennials love spending money and expect their employers to support it (raises, bonuses etc.)

or maybe that is just the way people generally are. Either way I am just talking sh**.

And I don’t think millennials are lazy they tend to be entitled though.

OP here’s some free game for you, you want to work smarter not harder.

Remote work with relatively little oversight with job demands that aren’t particularly time intensive is one of the best options.

A job that meets that criteria will grant you the extra time and the surplus mental energy to double up if you can find a second job or free lance and contract work.

Better yet, it will grant you time to either develop or operate you own business, something that will give YOU ownership, either in the same field or a complely unrelated one.

There's the moral concept of time theft but that's between you and your God not your employer.

I've worked every type of job imaginable on my way and this isn't disrespect but working excessively gobbling up OT hours on low paying jobs isn't a long term path to any kind of wealth, freedom or mental happines.

That typical 9-5. Which I don’t really blame them.

And in my circles millennials love spending money and expect their employers to support it (raises, bonuses etc.)

or maybe that is just the way people generally are. Either way I am just talking sh**.

And I don’t think millennials are lazy they tend to be entitled though.

In my own anecdotal evidence I don't think millenials spend money any more than their parents on frivolous things (eg. Shoes, clothes) but they are very frugal when it comes to big spending.

I don't think there is any data that show millenials don't work 9 to 5s. I guess my question is what type of jobs are and aren't 9 to 5s?

My schedule for this year has weeks that I work 11pm to 8 am, 4 pm to 11 pm and 9am to 5am.

I don't think that is a typical schedule for anyone, millenials or otherwise.

I wouldnt call expecting the same economic opportunities that fell on the lap of boomers (cheap college, cheap housing etc) "entitlement". Would you call black soldiers who expected to be compensated with the GI bill entitled?

Last edited:
I can’t do OT

my job offers unlimited with extremely great pay which makes it worth it but I’m a 40 hour guy. I get paid great but OT is where it’s at when you get paid time and half anything over 40 and double time on sundays work 10 hours a day making $30++ to start where I’m at
Yep, know your boundaries.

I can’t do OT

Where about? I ain’t gonna lie, I used to eat up all the OT. Time +half after 40 and it’d be like 45 a hr id be doing 55-60 and running it up. Now I keep it at 45-48, they don’t tax it too crazy and its mon-fri I can keep my weekends.

I make half my money off OT.

Time and a half after 8 and Saturday double time Sunday.

I make good money and work 7 months a year.

Not gonna lie it gets OLD, but I also can’t imagine begging for 1 or 2 weeks off a year to travel.

I do whatever the hell I want in the off season and being on my own time is priceless to me but it’s a double edge sword since I work so much in the summer.

Last edited:
Na I’m good with 40-45 hours a week. Work/life balance is too important for my mental health.
If you can work remote and are good with multi tasking/planning you can get multiple checks in 40 hours sitting at home…It’s a sweet set up if you can make it happen

If you can work remote and are good with multi tasking/planning you can get multiple checks in 40 hours sitting at home…It’s a sweet set up if you can make it happen
If you could fleece like that from home then yeah it’s worth it but staying at work extra hours everyday or coming in to work on my day off just ain’t the move for me. Need my free time to do me. Can’t just give all my time to the the man

Back
Top Bottom