Philip Rivers UNAPPRECIATION!

tired.gif
I agree he should've been compensated. But honestly I haven't heard much from dude in KC. I think he's been sitting alot.

Ohh well, Donnie had 3 INT last year and Coop had 4 this year. Plus Cooper is bigger bodied so he clogs up more holes. Good luck Donnie.

By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com
Chargers backup quarterback Billy Volek heard a knock on his door around 8:30 Sunday morning and cautiously creaked opened the door.

"I was going to just run in there and tackle him but I just knocked on the door," Philip Rivers said. "He kind of opened it and I was like, 'Yeah, let's go!' He kind of looked at me like, 'You're nuts. Get away from me.'"
roll.gif

As cool as Volek was in response, he was even smoother later in the day when something else knocked at his door: opportunity.

With the Chargers trailing 24-21 in the fourth quarter of Sunday's Divisional playoff game, Volek was called on to replace a hobbled Rivers. He led the offense on an 8-play, 78-yard drive and scored on a quarterback sneak that gave the Bolts a 28-24 lead that they would not relinquish.

"I was happy for Billy," Rivers said. "He was outstanding. As loud as it was and everything that was going on, for him to take that drive and then score on a sneak, you can't say enough about it."

Although Volek had played sparingly throughout the regular season, his snaps came mostly in mop up duty when the games were already in hand. Sunday was the first time since joining the Chargers last September that he'd been called on in a tight spot, and Volek responded like the Bolts thought he would.

"When he's gone in the game, it really hasn't been fair to him," Head Coach Norv Turner said. "He was in the game a couple times and we were way ahead and we're trying to get home and end the game. We didn't give him a chance to go play. He had a chance to go play today and he stepped up."

How Volek got the job done was even more impressive. Running back LaDainian Tomlinson was sidelined for the entire second half with a knee injury and tight end Antonio Gates was on the field but not 100 percent with a sprained toe. Volek hit rookie Legedu Naanee for a 27-yard gain to set up the go ahead score and relied on Michael Turner pounding out tough yards.

"I could sit here and go through our roster and guys that stepped up and guys that just gave unusual efforts to get this done," Turner said. "It was special."

Volek's performance made it 2-for-2 from the quarterback position for the Chargers against a defense that ranked second in the NFL against the pass this season.

When Rivers left with a knee injury at the end of the third quarter, he was 14-of-19 passing for 264 yards(Buggz: 264 yards w/o even 20 attempts
smh.gif
) and three touchdowns. He tweaked his knee after sliding out of the pocket to hit Darren Sproles for 56-yard score and did not return.

It was the perfect follow up to the 292-yard outing Rivers turned in a week ago against Tennessee when the Titans strongly committed to stopping the run and forced the second-year starter to shoulder the load. He did so in the Wild Card victory and delivered another spectacular afternoon with throw after big throw.

"This game was a notch up," Turner said. "I thought (Rivers) was sensational. He moved in the pocket. We converted our first (four) third downs under duress. He's so darn good."

Rivers was particularly impressive on third down, where he completed five of his six throws on the day, including a 14-yard touchdown pass to Vincent Jackson on 3[sup]rd[/sup]-and-8 in the second quarter. While Rivers' game was picked apart earlier in the season, he's now taken the opportunity in two playoff games to show what he's made of.

"The criticism he's taken, I think sometimes it's rightfully so and sometimes it's just people who don't understand how hard it is to play this game," Turner said. "They sit there with a monitor and they pick out two plays and they're critical of a guy. It's playing football."

Rivers said following the game that he probably could have played after the injury if he was needed, but with Volek in control, he patiently watched from the sideline.

"He has been around long enough and that is why we have him here," Rivers said. "I was happy the way he finished it off."

Of course, after River started it.

I missed my fantasy draft and they ended up drafting him for me
smh.gif

the Pats are gonna put a hurtin on the chargers .. and philip is gonna get hurt
laugh.gif

[h1]Rivers talks, plays with confidence[/h1]
Send to a friend Print Page Adjust font size
http://
Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008
By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

Former Giants quarterback Phil Simms, who will broadcast Sunday's AFC Championship Game between the Chargers and Patriots on CBS, has one simple reaction when he sees the way the national media is picking apart Philip Rivers' psyche this week.

"Thank God they didn't cover the NFL the way they do now when I played because who knows what I was saying to people," said Simms.

Rivers has been a hot topic on talk shows and in papers of late after cameras have caught him talking to opposing fans and jabbering with opponents on the field. Those isolated incidents have led some to call Rivers immature, selfish and arrogant, but those who are around him every day see the exact opposite.

"If we had more guys in the National Football League be the father he is, be as committed as he is to the team, it would be a lot better league," fullback Lorenzo Neal said. "He's a man of belief. Philip is a great father. He's a great man. He's good in the community. Everyone in this locker room loves him. It's unfortunate that people misperceive him the way they seem to."

For Rivers, having some friendly banter on the field is as much a part of his game as his 27-8 record as a starter. He finds it unfortunate that people have painted him in a negative light because he plays the game the only way he knows how.

"It's kind of surprising really to be honest with you," Rivers said. "I'm out there having a good time as I did in the backyard since I was five years old. I'm not saying anything out of line. There's no profanity being used. I know what I'm about. My teammates know, my family knows and everything else I can't worry about."

Rivers' teammates don't have any issue with his approach to the game. If anything, they appreciate his sincerity.

"That's who Philip is," tight end Antonio Gates said. "He's genuine. That's why we all appreciate him. He never tries to be anything that he's not. He does it his way. He's been pretty successful doing it his way so I don't have a problem with it. If he were talking and we were losing that would be one thing, but last I checked his record is pretty good."

Before each game, the broadcast crew spends some time in production meetings with the key players they'll be covering that week. Simms has gotten to know Rivers pretty well through those meetings, and the two-time Super Bowl winner likes the fiery young signal caller.

"Some of the stuff that happens on the field, it just doesn't bother me the way it seems to bother a lot of other people," Simms said. "It's an emotional game. He's been an emotional quarterback ever since I started following him at North Carolina State."

Neal has a hard time figuring out why Rivers is being criticized for things that other players have received passes for. Earlier this season, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady got in the face of Steelers defensive back Anthony Smith after throwing a touchdown pass to the man Smith was covering. Earlier in the week, Smith drew attention by guaranteeing a Pittsburgh victory.

"No one says anything when Brady goes up and they're head to head and they're talking with Brady in his face," Neal said. "It's okay for him but when Philip does it, it's just, 'He's so immature.' I don't get it."

Simms finds it interesting that some quarterbacks are criticized for being too lackadaisical while Rivers is being looked down upon for his passion for the game.

"Here in New York, all they do is complain that Eli Manning doesn't show enough emotion," Simms said. "I always say this: you just be who you are and try to smooth out some of the edges when you get the chance. That's who he is and that's what makes him work and that's how he gets it done."

Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner and Simms would both advise Rivers that talking to fans isn't the smartest move.

"That's a battle you can't win," Simms said.

But both can appreciate the fire and emotion the young quarterback displays. Rivers contends it's the only way he knows how to play, and since it's been successful, he doesn't plan on altering his game any time soon.

"As you can see, since that Denver week when things got blown out of proportion, I haven't changed since then," Rivers said. "If you've followed me around since I was five years old you'd see the same thing every Saturday afternoon in the backyard. You saw it for 51 games at NC State and you'll probably catch something this weekend. Do I mean any harm by it? No. Again, I'm just going to have fun."

7b92516bd9aa503472af65d581f708062617ed7.gif
7b92516bd9aa503472af65d581f708062617ed7.gif

Damn I'm hype for this game. I wish it'd hurry up and get here, but my team needs time to lick there wounds. Go Chargers.

Back
Top Bottom