Pistons trainer banishes Nike Hyperize sneakers

I'm as big a fan of Nike as most on here, but feel overly compelled to call a foul on them for the Hyperize.  The shoe is a performance nightmare in the worst way, and Nike should never have billed as the great shoe it was advertised as, let alone released it.  To me, this is a black eye for a company supposedly concerned with developing and selling the highest quality athletic shoes in the world, and another crystal clear indicator a gradual trend toward carelessly valuing profit over product quality.

You could say Nike's handling of the Hyperize makes me a bit upset as a consumer and brand loyalist.

Originally Posted by Roscoe P Wallace

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Originally Posted by BananaBoy2601

Originally Posted by KenJi714

That trainer clearly doesnt know @#% about shoes then.

This.
Well yeah he doesn't know much probably, but the Hypers are trash.

Having followed the Pistons for many years and kept a special eye on Arnie Kander (because of my involvement with PT) I'm going to echo previous sentiments and say this couldn't be further from the truth. Arnie is one of the top 2-3 trainers in the league, and studying, fitting, and recommending footwear for players is one of his specialties. He designs special orthotics for EACH Pistons player based on where they each need special support to properly align their body. This dude knows more about Basketball shoes and how they work performance wise, and the ways that effects the body than pretty much anyone on this board. If Arnie says the shoe sucks, then I'm believing him. And Ive seen quotes from him saying proper strengthening, stretching, and balance work is key for preventing ankle injuries, with good taping being the next most reliable, followed by shoes.

And also I will say I have SEEN Rip wear Nike's in practice, say whatever you want about their contract, I have seen him wear them in open practices and scrimmages, so I wouldnt be suprised if he reaggrivated or re-rolled it wearing Hyperize's

Interesting story

yet its the top selling shoe on eastbay. in large part because of the sale they are having $99.99 instead of $124.99. I bet Nike has some healthcare stock/backing... Get people hurt and provide the medicine. nice

yet its the top selling shoe on eastbay. in large part because of the sale they are having $99.99 instead of $124.99. I bet Nike has some healthcare stock/backing... Get people hurt and provide the medicine. nice
well then 
roll.gif
indifferent.gif
@ Eastbay customers thinking that $99.99 is worth it for these.  man, Nike couldn't pay me enough to lace these shoes up.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by TheTrapezeSwinger

Originally Posted by al3x89

Originally Posted by TheTrapezeSwinger

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Just because 2 out of 3 players were wearing the Hyperizes when they got hurt, doesn't mean the shoe is garbage though.

Reading is fundamental, homie.

knowing things is fundamental too, homie.

RIP doesn't wear Nike, he wears Jordan's.
Once again, reading is fundamental, homie

So Kander did some investigating and has banned the shoes that Hamilton, Ben Gordon and Will Bynum had been wearing early in the season.
"I'm not going to name the brand of shoe it was, but it has been banned from our locker room and the guys aren't allowed to wear it," Kander said. "These shoes had taken most of the support out of the sides and it was a lighter shoe. Most basketball shoes weigh between 1.4 and 1.7 pounds.

"These shoes were weighing 0.8 pounds, which was way too light as far as side support. Since we've banned the shoe, knock on wood, we haven't had any ankle sprains. Hopefully, the good Lord willing, we won't have any more and we can finish the season healthy and see what these guys can really do.

"We've had a couple of bumps and bruises, but nothing like we had the first part of the season."
Kander had proof that it was the shoes, because when he initially told Bynum, Hamilton and Gordon to stop wearing them, Bynum continued, until he suffered another sprained ankle.
I know he wears Jordans in game but who knows what he wears in practice? I'm just going by what the article says...THREE Pistons players injured wearing the same shoes.

dude seriously just quit it. Take the L cuz some old dude doesnt know the difference between a jordan shoe and a hyperize.....and you chose to believe the article instead of your own two eyes....

My bad for quotin all this, but dude LOSE, Take the L...

tryin to comeback

funny post....jordan XIII and adidas EQT elevation mid (kobe dunk contest joints) were the best kickz to ball in

^but wait, did Rip get injured in a NBA game wearing Jordans, or a Pistons practice wearing Hyperizes? This doesn't appear clear anywhere in this thread. The only things we seem to know are 1) 3 players were injured, 2) the Pistons trainer has banned the shoes the injured players wore earlier in the year, 3) the shoes players wear in practice are not always the same ones worn in games, 4) BG, Rip, and Will were all injured wearing a specific shoe by a specific company 5) BG and Will were seen wearing the Hyperize in games earlier this season, and 6) the Hyperize totally sucks as a bball shoe.

I don't know if anyone can take a definitive L for anything (other than Nike for the Hyperize). Rip could have sustained an injury while wearing the Hyperize in practice earlier this year, and the NBA trainer could have more knowledge about what NBA players wear on their feet than dudes are giving him credit for. Banning the Hyperize sounds like the smartest move ever by a trainer paid to take care of NBA athletes.

Maybe I'm missing something, but where's the fire?

Soooo, what, other than the lightweight properties of this shoe that apparently makes for bad support, makes the Hyperize so bad? I am not being a smart-%##, I just don't know because I don't own them, nor even tried them on.

Originally Posted by MP23

Soooo, what, other than the lightweight properties of this shoe that apparently makes for bad support, makes the Hyperize so bad? I am not being a smart-%##, I just don't know because I don't own them, nor even tried them on.

On the upper the designer reduced the thickness of the top TPU filament(from 52mm to 4mm) sandwhiching the flywire, as well as used much less flywire cause he thought that he put them strategically which turned up to be false. All this resulted in sliding, no support on the upper.(1)
He used Phylite instead of phylon since phylon is showing wear
eyes.gif
 and he also wanted to expose the foam on the outsole so he could boost the shoes flexibility. This caused overflexing which can easily lead to Plantar Fasciitis and together with (1) made the Hyperize a very unstable injury prone shoe. 

I have seen broken ankles, broken outriggers and of course plantar fasciitis...

maybe Bynum and Gordon aren't wearing Hyperize anymore, but it definitely hasn't been banned from the Pistons' locker room, Villanueva is still wearing them

DETSAC_100223_010.jpg

Think its interesting this is even getting brought up, I've always been interested in performance of shoes as well as looks etc.   Can't hate on the trainer I'm just curious what nike thinks of this... Can we get an official statement...lol... 

WTB  Trainer 1s size 12 thru 13 Manny Pacs first colorway, Ladanian PEs, Jimmy Rollins PE, WTB LEBRON AKRONS VII SZ 12

i like my hyperizes. i rotate them with my kobe v's and my penny iv's. i'm surprised the trainer cracked down on a specific shoe. ankle tape, braces, high tops... if you are going to sprain your ankle not much is going to help. say you do have your ankle locked down to the point that it wont sprain, next thing to go is the knee. sprained ankle vs blown knee.

Originally Posted by th3darkhors3

i like my hyperizes. i rotate them with my kobe v's and my penny iv's. i'm surprised the trainer cracked down on a specific shoe. ankle tape, braces, high tops... if you are going to sprain your ankle not much is going to help. say you do have your ankle locked down to the point that it wont sprain, next thing to go is the knee. sprained ankle vs blown knee.

Penny IV's in the rotation? Weird.

i have a question...

i hated the hyperdunks. for all the reasons people complain about the hyperizes, yet people loved the hyperdunk. are these shoes really that different? or did people realize the issues with the hyperdunk after the second time around?

the reason the kobe iv and v work is because of traction imo. second to none, and i think traction plays a big factor in ankles, groins e.t.c....

Originally Posted by HOOPSboy

I would never even THINK about wearing any of those Nike Hyper shoes or low-cuts like the Kobe IV & V on the court. People are brainwashed to believe that the cut of ur shoe determines weather or not u roll ur ankle by Nike's marketing and players like Kobe wearing them. The Hyper series are like paper, so flimsy. Like why even have that upper material there to begin with? To me it's just like wearing an extra sock; nothing there for support. Call me old school, but this new Nike lightweight stuff is JUNK. I used to get taped in HS & college (I have weak ankles) as an alternative to ankle braces because I hate that bulky support. I don't like that "locked down" feeling tape and braces give you. With that being said, I would never subject myself to a higher chance of injury by wearing these fold-able Hyper joints.

fixed

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Originally Posted by th3darkhors3

Penny IV's in the rotation? Weird.

I know. Sometimes traditional leather/zoom is the way to go.

The Hyperizes are trash. They should be banned.

The Kobe V is a legit performance monster. Don't lump them in together because they both have a swoosh. It makes you sound idiotic.

Back
Top Bottom