POSSIBILY MOVING FROM NY TO LA FOR A JOB - VOL. NT ADVICE

What's going on NT Fam,

Always come to the NT community when I have life questions, and what to hear some sold opinions ... Minus the jokes, you guys usually drop a gem here and there.

Long story short ... My bosses nominated me for a pretty much once in a lifetime job opportunity as an assistant to a well-known music manager out in LA ... All signs point that this is a no brainer to take the position if offered, but I do have my reasons to make sure it's 100% the leap I want to make .... I think $$$ is the biggest factor if I'm going to move my life out west, all my fam and my girls fam is out on the East, (yes my girl is down to move across the country w/ me) .... I have little to no knowledge of cost-of-living in LA compared to NYC, and what the pros and cons are of being out west, compared to living in NY ... My best friends from HS are in LA as well, but I don't have a car, and doubt I'd get approved for insurance anytime soon due to my student loan situation lol

Any thoughts or advice? This is probably one of the biggest choices i'll have to make in life

first thing that came to mind is the cost of living between the two. NY's COL > LA's so you should be alright. You're NY salary will get you more in LA. If it's really an once in a lifetime opp, do it man, good luck.

I'd do it..seems like a solid career move. and you're going from NYC to LA...I bet some of us wish we were in your predicament
laugh.gif

you absolutely need a car in socal though, gonna be tough to get around

Originally Posted by The Encore

What's going on NT Fam,

Always come to the NT community when I have life questions, and what to hear some sold opinions ... Minus the jokes, you guys usually drop a gem here and there.

Long story short ... My bosses nominated me for a pretty much once in a lifetime job opportunity as an assistant to a well-known music manager out in LA ... All signs point that this is a no brainer to take the position if offered, but I do have my reasons to make sure it's 100% the leap I want to make .... I think $$$ is the biggest factor if I'm going to move my life out west, all my fam and my girls fam is out on the East, (yes my girl is down to move across the country w/ me) .... I have little to no knowledge of cost-of-living in LA compared to NYC, and what the pros and cons are of being out west, compared to living in NY ... My best friends from HS are in LA as well, but I don't have a car, and doubt I'd get approved for insurance anytime soon due to my student loan situation lol

Any thoughts or advice? This is probably one of the biggest choices i'll have to make in life
LA is definitely cheaper than NYC.

You really need a car in LA.

Pros
-cheaper
-better weather

Cons
-need a car and traffic blows
-big adjustment from the true city lifestyle

Thanks guys ... If I was single, this would be much easier of a decision, but i'm w/ the girl i plan on marrying, and thankfully she's down to make the move if the $ is right, and we can make a life for us out West ... She's really family oriented, so I think that's her big concern

It definitely is an amazing opportunity - after reading the article I'd say all points to L.A. but yes definitely have that heart to heart with your woman, make sure she doesn't feel out of place out there, a car / reliable means of transportation is a definite must

What is the backlash/consequences of the declining the offer besides the "what-ifs / what could have been"?

If you relocate to L.A. re: your position, are you not then "closer to the action" ? (Music industry wise, but I could be wrong)

Just throwing some thoughts out there; w/me having family in NorCal (I'm Canadian, btw) I'm always trying to find an excuse to visit them and hang out...

Good luck

Originally Posted by The Encore

What's going on NT Fam,

Long story short ... My bosses nominated me for a pretty much
once in a lifetime job opportunity as an assistant to a well-known music manager out in LA ... All signs point that this is a no brainer to take the position if offered, but I do have my reasons to make sure it's 100% the leap I want to make .... I think $$$ is the biggest factor if I'm going to move my life out west, all my fam and my girls fam is out on the East, (yes my girl is down to move across the country w/ me) .... I have little to no knowledge of cost-of-living in LA compared to NYC, and what the pros and cons are of being out west, compared to living in NY ... My best friends from HS are in LA as well, but I don't have a car, and doubt I'd get approved for insurance anytime soon due to my student loan situation lol

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

dooze it, or you'll always regret it

how old are you? how settled in are you in NY? mortgage? no kids i assume? school?

take these chances when your younger or you will regret them and might miss opportunities...

and what does insurance have to do with student loans?

Congrats on the oppurtunity . You gotta think real deep. Do you REALLY want this job? Is your girl working if she is how is she gonna handle quitting her job and moving out west? Also she should try to look for jobs before moving out here to socal so that she has some money coming in. also the car situation is a big necessity. You could take the bus but it takes longer a lot longer. Also insurance for cars has nothing to do with your credit score or student loans so don't worry about that. Is money the main reason you want to do this because that may not be enough of a reason to just move to LA and leave fam friends and your whole life in NY? Good luck OP. hope you figure it all out.

Originally Posted by Kingtre

how old are you? how settled in are you in NY? mortgage? no kids i assume? school?

take these chances when your younger or you will regret them and might miss opportunities...

and what does insurance have to do with student loans?

25 ... No kids ... Paying rent ... Been out here for 2 1/2 years, and my family is in CT ... I figured my credit is SHOT right now, so i really am going to have a rough time getting a car

Originally Posted by jbv1

It definitely is an amazing opportunity - after reading the article I'd say all points to L.A. but yes definitely have that heart to heart with your woman, make sure she doesn't feel out of place out there, a car / reliable means of transportation is a definite must

What is the backlash/consequences of the declining the offer besides the "what-ifs / what could have been"?

If you relocate to L.A. re: your position, are you not then "closer to the action" ? (Music industry wise, but I could be wrong)

Just throwing some thoughts out there; w/me having family in NorCal (I'm Canadian, btw) I'm always trying to find an excuse to visit them and hang out...

Good luck
I want to be a manager for music producers ... Dude I'd be working for is just the mentor I'd need to learn everything, so YES, it's pretty much a GOLDEN opp if the $ is right ... My boss literally booked my ticket, and setup the interview for me because she thought I'd be an idiot to @ least not take the interview ... I always thought NY was were music was popping, that's SO not true lol

In regards to kix28:

Congrats on the oppurtunity

- Thanks dude

Do you REALLY want this job?

- Yes ... If i can live the same way + a little better than I am in NY, it's 100% worth it

Is your girl working if she is how is she gonna handle quitting her job and moving out west?

- Just got her masters in Pysch, and currently looking for a job ... Def a +

Also insurance for cars has nothing to do with your credit score or student loans so don't worry about that.

- Thanks ... Honestly had no idea since I never needed my own car

Is money the main reason you want to do this because that may not be enough of a reason to just move to LA and leave fam friends and your whole life in NY?

- I barely make the trips to CT unless is a Holiday ... I don't have any real CLOSE friends in NY, but she (gf) has more friend on the East Coast, but is a people person and will be able to adapt in my opinion ... My best friend from HS in in LA and i got closer friends out there than in NY really

I fly out on Thursday for the interview ... Havent flown in like 7 years
nerd.gif

just buy a cheap used car and get some cheap cut rate insurance for a couple months so u can pay off ur debts.

u shouldnt even have to think twice about this. ur moving to a great city with a great job and with a girl who supports you. what else do u need?

yo max! congrats man that sounds dope as hell!

i been debatin makin a move from la to ny so really been figurin out the pros and cons of both cities, but decided to stick it out here, like u said, it seems music scene is more poppin here than ny these days.

shoot me a pm here or facebook and ill help out if u need any help settling in out in la brotha! any chance u can say who the producer is? just curious
lol prob a small/non-factor, but produce/veggies is MAD cheap out here which is NICE! i remember when i was in ny for the summer last year a small bundle of berries was ******edly expensive. lol

Dude you'll have no problem getting insurance, long as you haven't had a zillion accidents
laugh.gif

But from the info you've given, I see absolutely no reason to not take it.

Famb said dooze it. Lol.

How many racks are we talking, though?

Also, I don't think location is that big a factor if you're in a top 5 city n a top 5 city in America...

The interwebz takes care of all'lat...

pimp.gif

I can't see LA being more expensive buying consumer stuff then NYC. Of course real estate prices could be a lot different all based on location, but take your chance while your young.

i just moved to LA, and I am very much enjoying socal to the fullest. Make sure to buy a tom tom with live HD traffic and you will love me long time.

Originally Posted by ArmenExchange

yo max! congrats man that sounds dope as hell!

i been debatin makin a move from la to ny so really been figurin out the pros and cons of both cities, but decided to stick it out here, like u said, it seems music scene is more poppin here than ny these days.

shoot me a pm here or facebook and ill help out if u need any help settling in out in la brotha! any chance u can say who the producer is? just curious
lol prob a small/non-factor, but produce/veggies is MAD cheap out here which is NICE! i remember when i was in ny for the summer last year a small bundle of berries was ******edly expensive. lol
Shot you a msg bro

I appreciate everyone who chimed in and dropped Knowledge ... Looks like LA will be a dope look if everything pans out ... Apparently everyone on his team, including the artists he manages have vouched for me, and that I'd be a perfect fit ... I've looked to the dude as a mentor from a far, and now i get the chance to be his right hand man (only reason I'm not mentioning who is it's not 100% @ all yet, and I don't want to put the full details out there just yet, but any person in music would prob want to follow in his steps) ... Funny how life changes quickly ... Will keep you all updated once I head out on Thursday

Most pointed out what you should do, you're young so do it.
Most transplants who come here never really go back to where they came from, it's that awesome.  Read the article a few days back, almost wanted to stand up and cheer for my city.  Lot's of nooks and crannies you can explore in this place.  There is always something to do.  I've been living here all my 29 years and there are still places that I need to visit.

You don't need credit to get car insurance, good driving record is more important.  You do need credit to get a decent ride unless you pay it straight cash.  

Back
Top Bottom