Post Your Unpopular Opinions Vol. Sports & Training

^ jordan teams also weren't as deep as the celtics or lakers... when he was a rookie what team did he have? scottie came there a couple years after and even then it took him some time to be good...the first championships the only great player he had was scottie with some ok role players and in the second three peat he had scottie and rodman whos a hall a famer and thats it... sure kukoc was good but he wasn't great... also jordan never had any great centers on his team...im talking dominant on offense... rodman was good on defense and rebounding but thats not my point...and you can say it took jordan 7 years to win it all but you can also say he never lost in the championship something bird and magic never did

Originally Posted by playacet

- The NFL gets way too much media attention than any other sport in America, yet it's not an olympic sport
sick.gif
You're gonna need other countries to play football as well. Who would we play? They all play futbol (soccer) instead. Or rugby. Americans do neither.

^ Alright, so the Lakers, Celtics, and Bulls were deep.

Magic retires from the Lakers... they win one game in the playoffs the next year.
Bird retires from the Celtics... they win one game in the playoffs the next year.
Jordan retires from the Bulls that first time... did the team crumble? Nope. They go to the Eastern Conference Finals, losing in 7 games to the Knicks.

nerd.gif

Just saying, maybe it wasn't him.

with a good o-line jay cutler can be a top 5 NFL quarterback
matt forte is a top 5-7 running back
derrick rose is the best pg in the NBA
notre dame will win a bcs title in the next 5 years

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Magic retires from the Lakers... they win one game in the playoffs the next year.
Bird retires from the Celtics... they win one game in the playoffs the next year.
Jordan retires from the Bulls that first time... did the team crumble? Nope. They go to the Eastern Conference Finals, losing in 7 games to the Knicks.

nerd.gif

I think what he means is Jordan's teams weren't deep yet when he stepped on the floor.  

Magic and Bird both joined teams that were built to win right away. 

Your point about the end of their careers is valid, but I took him to be addressing the first 7 years of MJ's career. 

Originally Posted by yankeesking92

Yankees are the best baseball franchise ever!
The Knicks were a much better team without Melo.
LeBron James is the best player in the NBA.
Real Madrid is one of the dirtiest, classless soccer teams in the world!
Soccer > any sport.
Cristiano Roanldo is the most overrated player in soccer.
I'm a Yankee fan but Theo Epstein is one of the better minds as far as the Red Sox go
grin.gif

The Philadelphia Phillies rotation is the most overrated ever!
The Jets will always continuously fail although they are now NY's football team.
Posada will leave the Yanks come the end of the season
ohwell.gif
How is he overrated? He's scored 87 goals in 91 appearances for Real Madrid. That's amazing. He's rated where he should be, right behind Messi. 

Originally Posted by playacet

- The NFL gets way too much media attention than any other sport in America, yet it's not an olympic sport
sick.gif
who are we gonna play though?..better yet, outside of mexico and canada, what other countries play football?

Caerus:
Michael Jordan isnt the greatest basketball player of all time, just has the best legacy both on and off the court.
Can you explain why? Just want to hear why say that & who you think is better...(Srs)
I had already thought this before, then I saw a video someone posted on here a couple months ago that really sold me.
- You got other greats like Bird and Magic that came in and IMMEDIATELY made a HUGE impact on their team. They came in and immediately started getting to the Finals and winning championships; took Jordan 7 years to get that far. It definitely suggests that maybe he's not as great as them.

- Other greats, when they left, the team was left in shambles, basically. Bird leaves the Celtics, they don't get back to greatness for like 15 years. Magic leaves the Lakers, we struggle through the 90s. Jordan leaves the Bulls that first time... replaced by the great PETE MYERS... and the Bulls still make it to the Eastern Conference Finals without him, getting beat by the Knicks in 7 games. It definitely suggests maybe the team's success wasn't all him; I mean... he's replaced by Pete Myers, and they go to the ECF?
laugh.gif

That's just a couple things I remember from the video. Now that I've mentioned it, I'm sure someone will post it. Pretty interesting.

Magic was drafted to a team with the greatest center ever. He even explicitly stated that that's why he left Michigan State. After bird won rookie of the year, but failed to win a ring, the c's traded for parrish and drafted mchale to go along with cornbread Maxwell who won the finals mvp over bird in '81 and held down the fort until mchale was ready. Meanwhile, Jordan was drafted to a team with Orlando woolridge and quintin dailey and pippen wasn't starting until Jordan's 5th year. It's a lot easier to win rings quickly if you have HOFs and finals mvps on your team by your 2nd season. And yes, the first year after Jordan left the bulls got to the 2nd round (not the ECFs), but that was just only 1 round farther than the the lakers and celtics got in the first year after magic and bird left, respectively. And the next season, the bulls were a .500 team until Jordan came back.

nobody still answered my question on how the knicks were better before melo? i just want some opinions and different perspective then what i think 
laugh.gif

- If you weren't alive or old enough to grasp an athlete or team you have absolutely no right speaking on it. I don't care how many highlights you watch or even if you have actual game footage.

Originally Posted by you go boy

nobody still answered my question on how the knicks were better before melo? i just want some opinions and different perspective then what i think 
laugh.gif

You wanna know how? Lets see...they had awesome ball movement, they loved playing with eachother, they were a better defensive team, they were more athletic, they were younger, they were faster, they were deeper, nobody had egos, you didn't have to worry about Gallo or Chandler coming in out of shape, nobody was trying to use New York to build their portfolio, and they were a team on the rise that could beat anyboy on any given night. But instead they traded away every likeable young player on their team with potential except Fields (who was more of a product than any of them of that young, fun enviornment they had growing on that team). They had probably the MVP of the first half of the year, and were battling for the 5th playoff spot after not making the playoffs in like 10 years, yet they felt the need to blow up the team right away to get a shot at getting another superstar player. All it took was one bad streak of games for them to feel like what they had wasn't good enough anymore. That was an awesome TEAM that was only going to get better. All they needed to do was wait it out a couple years, let the team grow and experience how the playoffs feel, sign a center this summer (they could have thrown a bunch of money at Gasol, Chandler or Jordan), then get Deron or CP3 the following year. After all those terrible years of trying to build something, they got a taste of a little success, and felt it was already time to go all in instead of waiting another year or two. They were a prisoner of the moment. They let Melo take them hostage and the Nuggets took full advantage of it. I felt there was a new wave of deep, young teams filled with young, hungry players who wanted to make a name for themselves in the playoffs. The Grizzlies, Blazers, Nuggets, Pacers and Sixers may not have won the championship, but they gained a ton of momentum at the end of the season that's going to carry them into next season and help them build into something special in the long term. Those teams reminded me alot of the Knicks Pre-Melo, and so did the team who actually ended up winning the championship this year.
But you Knick fans are going to come in here and write 8 pages about how you'd never win a championship with those guys and Amare needed another superstar. So it doesn't matter what anybody says, nobody can convince any of you otherwise. You got yourselves the laziest superstar in the league and a 35 year old point guard who fell off a cliff once he put on a Knicks uniform. Hope you're happy with that trade.

Originally Posted by you go boy

i still don't get the knicks were better before melo argument... they were 2 games above .500 before melo 
laugh.gif
and not to mention amare needed another star... im not saying the knicks had a great record with melo but there was no training camp and no chemistry with the team and they were already halfway into the season...amare played hard the whole season and it slowed him down a lot towards the playoffs because he was the only guy to shoulder the load... not to mention that the knicks were nothing serious if they didn't hit their 3's the game was pretty much an L....i think because melo is seen as one dimensional and only as a scorer he will always look overrated for the knicks... but if the knicks got deron instead there wouldn't be as much hate
And yall finished 42-40, sooo
He's overrated regardless of who he plays for. The reason people hate the trade is the lack of synergy by having amare/melo. They're both scorers, and that's pretty much it. They don't compliment each other at all and pretty much hurt each other because they're only effective with the ball in their hands. Getting Deron would have been much better because he actually knows how to run an offense, can have a great pick and roll with amare, and is still a good scorer. With the new CBA, the knicks will be screwed with respect to the cap. They'll have amare/melo and bums...and because that duo isn't exactly great together = the 'ship drought will continue for the next few years.

nerd.gif

No offense, but this is such crappy logic/reasoning/criteria to use as an argument for why someone is/is not the GOAT.
Buc Em wrote:
I didn't say he should have won it. But I think he should have gotten a few votes behind those two. When a playoff spot was on the line the last 4 weeks of the season he was the best quarterback in the league, statistically speaking. His 71.6 % completion percentage was the best in the league. His 9 TD's led the league. His 0 interceptions led the league. His 9.26 yards per attempt led the league. Not to mention his 121.8 % passer rating. But you probably didn't know any of this.

Saying someone should have gotten a few votes = someone with a vote out there should have considered him more of an MVP than Vick/Brady, etc. You're also placing 10x more emphasis on the last few weeks of the season instead of looking at the season as a whole...makes no difference whether he did it in the beginning/end of the season. How could you possibly consider giving votes to a QB who isn't even top 10 in his own position? That's ludicrous, quit with the homerism.

Originally Posted by Winged Wheel

- If you weren't alive or old enough to grasp an athlete or team you have absolutely no right speaking on it. I don't care how many highlights you watch or even if you have actual game footage.

I agree with this.
I have a very good idea with how good the greats were. But i've never actually seen Bird, Magic, Kareem, Hakeem, Marino, Montana, etc. So I dont get in those arguments. 

Whats even tougher is comparing greats from the past to the present cause the game changes so much over time. 

When Jordan played it was like going 7 rounds in the ring. Someone breaths on Kobe and hes shooting free throws. 

Originally Posted by Jay02

I agree with this.
I have a very good idea with how good the greats were. But i've never actually seen Bird, Magic, Kareem, Hakeem, Marino, Montana, etc. So I dont get in those arguments. 

Whats even tougher is comparing greats from the past to the present cause the game changes so much over time. 

When Jordan played it was like going 7 rounds in the ring. Someone breaths on Kobe and hes shooting free throws. 

laugh.gif
 you sure you watched jordan play in the mid to late 90s?

Bingo. It bothers men when people annoit Jordan the best ever instead of the best of his direct/indirect era. Once we all die someone will be considered the best ever, the same way WIlt, Big O, Russell were all considered the best ever at some point. Hell, maybe if Kobe were "created" in 2050 he would be considered the best ever. But I agree with your main point, which is why I never engage in talks about older dudes.

DCAllAmerican:
Blaming one player (usually best player (who usually PERFORMS)) for a team not succeeding is the dumbest thing in the world "we" do as sports fans and analysts. Nobody can convince me that it is LeBron, Barkley, Malone, Stockton, Dirk (before this year)'s fault that they didn't win rings.
*ahem*

I should have said blaming the BEST player on the team for not winning it all is foolish. Yet sports fans still do it. The craziest form of this is blaming a QB for not winning it all, as if he has 100% control over both sides of the ball. It wasn't Peyton's fault he didn't win yet (when he hadn't won anything yet.) But folks will tell you otherwise.

Originally Posted by primetime21

with a good o-line jay cutler can be a top 5 NFL quarterback
matt forte is a top 5-7 running back
derrick rose is the best pg in the NBA
notre dame will win a bcs title in the next 5 years
laugh.gif

11jm1rs.png

my man
pimp.gif

agree 100%

Originally Posted by CP1708

S4L3 wrote:
-Barry Sanders is a quitter but never got called out for it because he was "amazing"....

I agree with this wholeheartedly. 

Another aspect he never got called out for was the fact that he refused, flat out refused, to be a part of the Lions passing game.  He wouldn't work on screens or the like, he simply wanted handoffs and that's that.  Nobody ever called him out for that either. 

I love the guy, but he got away with murder.  If he played today with all the social reporting that's out there, he'd never survive. 

As someone whose whole family is from Michigan and graduated from a college 25 minutes away from Detroit I call compete BS on this.

Originally Posted by air max 87

Without Pippen jordan wouldnt have won 6 rings, maybe 3 or 4, Max.

without shaq or gasol, kobe wouldn't have.....

Back
Top Bottom