POST YOUR WATCHES vol. ?

Sign up for Wolf Desgins newsletter, they usually have 50% off sales every few months or so: https://www.wolfdesigns.com/watch-winders

Orbita is also one of the best out there but also one of the most expensive, you can check out their outlet online store, some great deals can be had at times but they are usually final sale items: http://store.orbita.com/
thanks, but damn those are a bit outta my price range ...i'm actually looking at ebay right now
laugh.gif

If you are putting an expensive watch on it, I do not recommend going cheap. I bought one for $20-$30 and it just doesn't work too well and I feared it might just damage the watch in the long run. I do understand that it can get very pricey but it is worth it if it is a really expensive watch.

If something less pricey is your choice though, Jomashop has a decent ones: http://www.jomashop.com/watch-winders.html?page=0&sf=1&sd=a

While we are on winders, I really like Wolf Designs Module 4.1 design, you can buy one at a time and stack it up as you buy more.

If you are putting an expensive watch on it, I do not recommend going cheap. I bought one for $20-$30 and it just doesn't work too well and I feared it might just damage the watch in the long run. I do understand that it can get very pricey but it is worth it if it is a really expensive watch.

If something less pricey is your choice though, Jomashop has a decent ones: http://www.jomashop.com/watch-winders.html?page=0&sf=1&sd=a

While we are on winders, I really like Wolf Designs Module 4.1 design, you can buy one at a time and stack it up as you buy more.

how would the cheaper winders damage a watch? i have no experience with them so i have no idea.

Can anyone recommend me something like this? I just got a new job and I'd like to treat myself. $500 is my max though, I'm not trying to spend more than that. I particularly like the black/white face with the leather.

Some cheap winders only winds one way and only for a long time, not set timer.It would only rotate clockwise and then rotate for 60 minutes in one day and some non-stop. This is simply bad for the watch, it is suppose to generate energy from your natural motion, not by swinging your arms around for 30 minutes straight. That is why not all automatic watches, even those sports oriented ones, shouldn't be worn during sporting activities. Even some watches can get damage from the vibration of riding a motorcycle, that is how sensitive some of these mechanical movements are.

Wolf Designs, you can set it so it rotates clockwise or counter-clockwise or both and set it so it winds for how many turns every 2-3 hours or every 6 hours, etc... It's more ideal to have these options as watches also have different needs. Typical watch is probably suited for a winder that rotates clockwise and then counter-clockwise but others prefers one over the other. Not all watches needs the same amount of turns per day either, some has limits so you really have to be aware, especially if you spent $5k-$10k on your watch.

The speed or torque of the rotation matters, it can't be too fast or too slow or else it messes up the insides and the watch will require service much sooner than later. Cheaper winders also means cheaper motor and depending on the weight of the watch, some of them might not be able to handle the heavier ones. Plus cheaper motors also tend to fail and it slows down or spin too fast or just breaks.

Cheaper ones also usually have cheap fitting cheap cuffs (where you put the watch) and it doesn't fit properly so when it rotates the watch could fall off and if the winder has a cover, it could fall, hit the cover/wall, get stuck or continue to rotate and pretty much scratch the watch up as it spins. Cheap winders can also be loud, my Wolf Design is practically silent even when it rotates at night when I am sleeping, I do not hear it at all.

Some of these winders becomes a decoration too and the cheaper ones, well, look cheap. Fake wood or cheap plastic.

At the end, it is up to the buyer and I do not really want to scare people from trying it out but definitely be wary. There are also a lot of arguments out there about winders vs. no winders and it is up to you to decide which suits you best.

If you wear the watch often I wouldn't get a winder, like RFX said don't cheap out on a winder, that's the only thing I would spend the extra money on. I would only get a winder if you don't wear the watch often and it has no quick set date feature, other than that I would skip on getting one.

I've been looking through this thread and seeing alot of amazing watches but of course they're all out of my price range.  Any recommendations on an everyday watch for around $100-$150?

Get either a seiko quartz chronograph or Casio edifice chronograph on amazon. Both are cheap and reliable and even have some nice designs. If you want something cooler check out the citizen Eco-drive watches on jomashop. Heck all companies make pvd/blackout watches within your price range.

Some cheap winders only winds one way and only for a long time, not set timer.It would only rotate clockwise and then rotate for 60 minutes in one day and some non-stop. This is simply bad for the watch, it is suppose to generate energy from your natural motion, not by swinging your arms around for 30 minutes straight. That is why not all automatic watches, even those sports oriented ones, shouldn't be worn during sporting activities. Even some watches can get damage from the vibration of riding a motorcycle, that is how sensitive some of these mechanical movements are.

Wolf Designs, you can set it so it rotates clockwise or counter-clockwise or both and set it so it winds for how many turns every 2-3 hours or every 6 hours, etc... It's more ideal to have these options as watches also have different needs. Typical watch is probably suited for a winder that rotates clockwise and then counter-clockwise but others prefers one over the other. Not all watches needs the same amount of turns per day either, some has limits so you really have to be aware, especially if you spent $5k-$10k on your watch.

The speed or torque of the rotation matters, it can't be too fast or too slow or else it messes up the insides and the watch will require service much sooner than later. Cheaper winders also means cheaper motor and depending on the weight of the watch, some of them might not be able to handle the heavier ones. Plus cheaper motors also tend to fail and it slows down or spin too fast or just breaks.

Cheaper ones also usually have cheap fitting cheap cuffs (where you put the watch) and it doesn't fit properly so when it rotates the watch could fall off and if the winder has a cover, it could fall, hit the cover/wall, get stuck or continue to rotate and pretty much scratch the watch up as it spins. Cheap winders can also be loud, my Wolf Design is practically silent even when it rotates at night when I am sleeping, I do not hear it at all.

Some of these winders becomes a decoration too and the cheaper ones, well, look cheap. Fake wood or cheap plastic.

At the end, it is up to the buyer and I do not really want to scare people from trying it out but definitely be wary. There are also a lot of arguments out there about winders vs. no winders and it is up to you to decide which suits you best.

damn good post. thanks.

is it possible to damage a watch by constantly letting it die (from non-use) and then winding it up and re-adjusting the time when you want to wear it again?

One of the biggest concern with adjusting it every so often and then winding it manually using the crown is the risk that the crown stem would break. This is one of the most common problems with automatic watches, actually someone here asked me about his Rolex not working/winding and my initial guess was the crown stem broke off and when he brought it to the watch shop that was indeed the case.

Other problem of letting the watch sit w/o moving for a while is the oils kind of settles and doesn't distribute towards the whole gears and when it starts moving, there are more friction all through the moving parts. This part is somewhat highly debated so again up to you how you want to perceive it. I guess you can think about it like the oil in your car, leave it not running for weeks and then you start it up and just step on the gas and start burning rubber w/o letting it warm up and you pretty much messing up your engine. At least that is the way I see it.

With all that said, if it is a special watch that gets worn maybe once every 5-6 months, then I really wouldn't worry about it, I know some who only wears certain watches once in a while and most of the time it is just in their safe. This is probably on the extreme side though. If it is a watch you rotate with another watch(es) within days or weeks, then yeah I'd be worried about adjusting the time every other day or once a week, mainly with the risk of breaking the stem. If the warranty is still effective then it should be an easy fix if you don't mind going w/o the watch for a while but after the warranty runs out, I'd be more careful.

thanks for the info ...

Copped a Burberry sport watch. All black for everyday wear. Looking at citizen night hawk next

Last edited:
My Rolex seems to be off by a minute or two after about a day and a half. It's a 1978 Oysterdate Precision.

Worth getting serviced? I can afford it but as a 19 year old I'd rather wait out on that price quote I'm looking at until it actually stops working.

There's no problems during the day, just when I don't wear it for a day and wake that day after it's still ticking but off by 1 or 2 minutes.

Really no problem at all but I hear a Rolex is only supposed to be off by 30 seconds max or something like that regardless of its age.

Last edited:
How do you rest the watch when you go to sleep? Sometimes that affects the time, some people say do not leave it on it's side while others say it should be fine either way. It is one of those things I'd test out first but definitely get it checked and serviced before it stops working. If it is stops working, that likely means something is wrong and something might be broke and it might cost you more in the long run.

How do you rest the watch when you go to sleep? Sometimes that affects the time, some people say do not leave it on it's side while others say it should be fine either way. It is one of those things I'd test out first but definitely get it checked and serviced before it stops working. If it is stops working, that likely means something is wrong and something might be broke and it might cost you more in the long run.
I leave it flat on my dresser.

Put it on it's side tonight and see how it is tomorrow.
It doesn't lose any time overnight. It always seems to happen towards the end of its lifespan after a full wind.

I regularly wind it up to max throughout the day if I'm wearing it and it doesn't lose any time at all. Like I said when I don't wear it for a day or more it'll be off towards the end of its lifespan even though it still has plenty of power left. Shouldn't be happening though right?

Last edited:
Oh ok, you know what for some reason i thought you had an automatic watch, it's a hand wind so you have to wind it almost everyday (if not every other day). Do you have records of when it was last serviced? It is a 35 year old watch and if it hasn't been serviced in 5-10 years then it is definitely time and that might be why it is losing time towards the end. The springs might need to be re-calibrated to keep/store energy longer, put new oil in to help the gears function better, etc...

Oh ok, you know what for some reason i thought you had an automatic watch, it's a hand wind so you have to wind it almost everyday (if not every other day). Do you have records of when it was last serviced? It is a 35 year old watch and if it hasn't been serviced in 5-10 years then it is definitely time and that might be why it is losing time towards the end. The springs might need to be re-calibrated to keep/store energy longer, put new oil in to help the gears function better, etc...
It was serviced in 2010 according to the jeweler's records.

Serviced by Rolex themselves?

Even then, I'd say an older watch likely needs servicing every 2-3 years, I mean new modern watches still recommend 5years but most really do not do servicing until the time slows down, hell some even do not do service unless it stops but I don't like that route. I might go no service until I see little discrepancy in time if you don't have extra cash lying around for servicing but I personally wouldn't wait until it is broke.

Best recommendation though is bring it to a trusted jeweler/watch store and ask them to check out the problem. A decent watchmaker should have some device that tests the energy/power the watch produces (name of the device escapes me atm) and there is a minimum of what i should be for most watches to keep accurate time. If it is lower than the average then it might needs additional servicing.

Serviced by Rolex themselves?

Even then, I'd say an older watch likely needs servicing every 2-3 years, I mean new modern watches still recommend 5years but most really do not do servicing until the time slows down, hell some even do not do service unless it stops but I don't like that route. I might go no service until I see little discrepancy in time if you don't have extra cash lying around for servicing but I personally wouldn't wait until it is broke.

Best recommendation though is bring it to a trusted jeweler/watch store and ask them to check out the problem. A decent watchmaker should have some device that tests the energy/power the watch produces (name of the device escapes me atm) and there is a minimum of what i should be for most watches to keep accurate time. If it is lower than the average then it might needs additional servicing.
Advice is much appreciated man. Since the weather is getting better I'm gonna see my jeweler (didn't buy the Rolex from him though, bought it in the Netherlands) soon anyway to replace my croc strap with the bracelet.

Jeweler has a history (family owned business) dating back to 1899 and he does a lot of things for free so he'll definitely check this out for me. Dude has like 5 degrees or something ridiculous like that too.

Back
Top Bottom