Question for the Mature/Older NTers: Why do you work for another man

i think most people have no choice.. they get in where they fit in..
id much rather work for a family member or own my own !!%%, than for some CEO dude who dont even know me, as an individual..

There is a very real truth in the saying "do what you love"...essentially something you love so much that you would do it for free. If you would do what you currently do for free, then you know you're on the right path.

my career isnt for the money at all, but it will still provide me with a living. Its unrealistic to do anything for free nowadays.....ala Joker

Originally Posted by nick0lis

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

OP...I hear you loud and clear...

Here's another spin on it. The "common" folk are under the impression that slavery occurred 200 years ago and ended 200 years ago. What people don't realize is that slavery is just as rampant now as it was back then. Only difference is that, now, it really isn't about skin color anymore. The only color that matters is green and the people caught up in bondage are those that chase "green".

It's even more dire when you realize that, as contrary as it may seem, money is worthless. It's a piece of paper with ink on it. And yet, people chase after it because they've been tricked into thinking that they need "luxuries" to survive--which is absolutely false.

Realtalk, I'm on my Thoreau ishhh right now...I don't ever plan on becoming just another tool...

damn bro, couldn't have put it better myself.
pimp.gif

what yall dont realize is a large majority of people HAVE to work for someone else. if we were all the "man" than nothing would get done.

Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

what yall dont realize is a large majority of people HAVE to work for someone else. if we were all the "man" than nothing would get done.

exactly

Yes another long read, but in this case about QUALITY = QUANTITY...

First and foremost, I don't and will not work to EARN----I will try to learn and educate myself as much as possible on certain skills that can help me notonly becoming opulently wealthy but also to become a better person in life---this is the ONLY reason why I'm working for another man and should be the onlyreason why people should in the first place IMO.

Money isn't going NOWHERE----no matter what the media or government, or economy is telling you----Because in the long-term, when you live your life chasingmoney---you will become another participant in the rodent 4X100 relay (aka the rat race).

Work to Learn --never---Work to Earn .... LET MONEY COME TO YOU...NEVER CHASE MONEY...I live and die by this everyday.

Also----People resist change and are intolerable to pain---they will try almost anything to prevent any sort of discomfort in their lives---even if it includeshaving to work for themselves. They rather tolerate the status quo instead of having control of their own destiny. Its like sitting on your couch toolong---you enjoy the comfort for the hour you sit on it but once you get up your gonna get lightheaded or your leg might hurt----the same thing applies withliving in your comfort-zone.

Secondly, People are easy to CONTROL and manipulate once they are in their comfort-zones----When people are accustomed to living a certain way, they get toorelaxed in their situation----they rely on their external environment for their comfort and well-being. As a result, people limit themselves and theirpotential to use their creativity when making their own personal ambitions and endeavors-----They rather have others controlling their lives and putting moneyin their pockets instead of having control of their own lives and decisions.

A prime example is the U.S. government---the government gives out tax reliefs, provide socio-economic programs (welfare programs, bail-outs, unemploymentbenefits, tax breaks, etc.) to citizens and some companies to remain in their comfort status. They pretty much treat us like BABIES---Employers also do thesame thing. Its sooooo easy to just sit on your behind and live "comfortably" under the threshold of your company by recieving bonuses and 401ks,etc...but once it all stops---then what? thats the situation we are in right now.

Whats so ironic about this is that American society CLAIMS to be so independent but heavily depend on other entities for their financial, social, and sometimescultural nurishment and well-being.

Thats why everyday I always try to learn something----because in the long-run I know that an abundance of knowledge will not only create opportunities forwealth----but also improve my self worth as a human being----which is more important than any amount of money that I may ever have working for someone or not.

i do want to iterate I am not saying chase money. im just saying not depending on another man for a source of income. you can own a business and not be amillionaire and at the end of the day its so cliche to talk about doing something you have a passion for because anybody can make up some line of degree thatwhatever they somehow relates to their passion.

but honestly i have a passion for helping other people who are not fortunate and there are people who are millionaires and work for themselves that do justthat. i am not chasing a million but I'd be a fool to say I wasnt aiming for getting that type of paper.

edit* great read post above me. i completely side with most if not all of your issues

Originally Posted by socaking

If you are going to grind, why not put all your grind into working for yourself
but thats not cut out for everybody. Remember the story about dude who spent like 500,000 on some type of investment %%+ and is know a pizza guy? Granted he made lously choices, but he did what some of you in here advocate. Whats wrong with feeling secure, knowing your making paper, surving, and providing for your loved ones? Working within a lucretive company is much better than owning it or your own IMO.

He tried to manage his own hedge fund without securing investors.

In hindsight it was an idiotic choice.
Either they're scared/cowards, have no talent/skills to provide reasonable value to others in return for money, they believe jobs are actually "secure" than owning their own company, ect.

But most are scared of failure, even though failure is the fastest way to success.
This is how a lot of people people see it:
I'm a manager at Exxon Mobil making 200k
I'm a Network engineer at Qualcomm making 150k
I'm an Associate at Morgan Stanley making 100k + 300k+ annual bonus
etc.

Why would I want to throw that away when my company provides me a 401k, i have good return on my investments funded by my paycheck, i drive an 80k car, etc.

My advice:

1. Get your degrees first.
2. Secure sufficient capital, line of credit, and network of investors(by working in corporate America.) And then follow your pipe dreams.
3. If your personal company fails, you're always an Engineer, Accountant, Attorney, Financial Analyst, etc. You just run back to what you went to schoolfor.

Nothing in life is guaranteed. But if entrepreneurship is your calling then go for it. I might look into starting my own company when I'm older, butI'm more intrested in building personal wealth through investments such as stocks and property. Most millionaires in this country are self-made throughreal estate. For that, a constant cashflow is necessary. If that means I'm working for somebody and climbing corporate ladders untill I'm 40. So be it.I'll grind for myself through my investments.

Originally Posted by airmissionretro

Yes another long read, but in this case about QUALITY = QUANTITY...

First and foremost, I don't and will not work to EARN----I will try to learn and educate myself as much as possible on certain skills that can help me not only becoming opulently wealthy but also to become a better person in life---this is the ONLY reason why I'm working for another man and should be the only reason why people should in the first place IMO.

Money isn't going NOWHERE----no matter what the media or government, or economy is telling you----Because in the long-term, when you live your life chasing money---you will become another participant in the rodent 4X100 relay (aka the rat race).

Work to Learn --never---Work to Earn .... LET MONEY COME TO YOU...NEVER CHASE MONEY...I live and die by this everyday.

Also----People resist change and are intolerable to pain---they will try almost anything to prevent any sort of discomfort in their lives---even if it includes having to work for themselves. They rather tolerate the status quo instead of having control of their own destiny. Its like sitting on your couch too long---you enjoy the comfort for the hour you sit on it but once you get up your gonna get lightheaded or your leg might hurt----the same thing applies with living in your comfort-zone.

Secondly, People are easy to CONTROL and manipulate once they are in their comfort-zones----When people are accustomed to living a certain way, they get too relaxed in their situation----they rely on their external environment for their comfort and well-being. As a result, people limit themselves and their potential to use their creativity when making their own personal ambitions and endeavors-----They rather have others controlling their lives and putting money in their pockets instead of having control of their own lives and decisions.

A prime example is the U.S. government---the government gives out tax reliefs, provide socio-economic programs (welfare programs, bail-outs, unemployment benefits, tax breaks, etc.) to citizens and some companies to remain in their comfort status. They pretty much treat us like BABIES---Employers also do the same thing. Its sooooo easy to just sit on your behind and live "comfortably" under the threshold of your company by recieving bonuses and 401ks, etc...but once it all stops---then what? thats the situation we are in right now.

Whats so ironic about this is that American society CLAIMS to be so independent but heavily depend on other entities for their financial, social, and sometimes cultural nurishment and well-being.

Thats why everyday I always try to learn something----because in the long-run I know that an abundance of knowledge will not only create opportunities for wealth----but also improve my self worth as a human being----which is more important than any amount of money that I may ever have working for someone or not.

and you cook...i'm gonna have to snatch you up and make an honest man out of you...
laugh.gif

airmissionretro - Good post (glad to hear someone else that knows how things work), but remember, knowledge is nothing if you don't apply it.

Originally Posted by nick0lis

i dont wanna get into the rat-race when i get outta high school

i'm not punchin any damn time-cards for anybody.

Good luck with that.
Find your hustle and you won't have to.

Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

Sums it up. Enough with all the "sheep" talk everyone has a place in life. Very few of us are the herders and we all sheep.

takes money to make money. some of us aren't born rich.
and then people get off track and get comfortable.

Originally Posted by socaking

There is a very real truth in the saying "do what you love"...essentially something you love so much that you would do it for free. If you would do what you currently do for free, then you know you're on the right path.
my career isnt for the money at all, but it will still provide me with a living. Its unrealistic to do anything for free nowadays.....ala Joker
really? i volunteer just because it makes me happy to see others happy. how is it unrealistic to do something because it pays your soul instead ofyour pockets?

i wonder what life would be like if there were an absence of currency and an absence of selfishness. then maybe we truly would be free.

My father talked about this with me awhile back.. he said try and workfor the make the money so you have equity to work for yourself once you get your money up enough to own your own company or business then you do that .. try tomake it your life goal to answer to no one.. and i was young when he told me so i blew it off but i have great memory and now its one of my life goalsactually..

I mean, I don't understand this whole, "work for another man" thing. It seems like your putting down people who have corporate jobs/cubicle jobs,etc. In theory, everyone is working for "another man", even if you own your own business because a company needs money/profits to survive and theonly way to get those aforementioned necessities is via other people...

I think a lot of people need to understand the idea of being humble more. I personally don't care about being rich, or powerful, etc. Not everyone wants toown their own business or whatever. That's not being someone elses slave, that's just someone following their own path in life. If you want to be your'own man' simply because you want power, prestige or money, you're ambitions are wrong in the first place. And that is essentially as bad as nothaving ambition at all...

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]To OP and any one else interested, I highly recommend reading the ECONOMY chapter of Henry DavidThoreau's[/color] [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]WALDEN[/color][color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]...[/color]

It's roughly 42 pages but well worth it...('seeing as how NKTKLs hate reading...
eyes.gif
)

I have a feeling that those who take the time to read and assimilate what he is saying, will greatly benefit from it...IMO of course...

it takes money to make money.

it reminds me of having that adolescent weekly allowance which later translates to being financially independent, with your own company.

Back
Top Bottom