Question for the Mature/Older NTers: Why do you work for another man

That is going to be a pretty long post, but valuable I guess.

Im 24 now and just started my own business. When I was younger I never knew what I wanted to do in life, but I was sure I dont want the corporate job and dontwant to run in the rat-race. If you asked me in HS what I want to do with my life I actually would tell you a milion things, but working was never one of it.Before I started my own business I have worked a month delivering pizza 2 times a week when I was about 21, and 2 months last summer having an internship at acompany similar to mine, still that was just 3 times a week.

I did the pizza delivery thing not just for the money, I needed to show myself that if I need to I can work a "normal" job, but its actually myCHOICE not to. Then I did the intern, cuz it would be good expirience plus I needed some materials for my Masters thesis. The job wasnt bad, I actually likedit, but still I didnt take it full time when the intern was over, even though I had that offer. I actually had a couple (say 5 in about 5 years of college) joboffers that were pretty interesting, but I didnt take any of them.

So if I never had a job I must be rich, right? Actually wrong. My parrent split up when I was a kid and my pops got all the money he needs, but my moms doesnt.I lived with my pops some when I was in HS, but moved out back to my moms when I graduated. To get the money I was doing many different things, some not toolegal, but I got by pretty fine and was even able to halp my moms some. All the things I did had that advantage that involved me being creative with the ideasand I was the one making money for myself. I was getting some of that maintenance money from my pops too, as I was still in school, so that helped me to savesome.

When I came up with the business idea I had about 13k stacked and borrowed 10 more to almost fully finance that. Im doing my business with my partner, but Imthe one making most of the moves and plans. I consult with him of course, but usually my word is just much "stronger", plus he admitted to me that ifI dont agree on something he doesnt think about it that much more, and just leaves that alone. I have the "freedom" of making decisions, but I alsoneed to live with the consequences. Once I got really stressed, and that is really out of my character, but usually Im just confident that I can make it andreally satified with my "job". Im really into the idea that I have, and the business I started is exactly in the field Im most interested in"career-wise". The comments Im getting from people is also very positive and they usually confirm that it is really a good and creative idea.

I just wrote all of that to show a real life example. I guess some people are just meant to work for somebody else, while some need the freedom. I feel I neverwould be able to be myself if I accepted all the good job offers I got, and work for them the whole day. I had a lot of people trying to put sense in me, whilenow the same people praise me for being creative and coming up with that business idea. Of course I want the money, but thats not the most important thing.Right now I would probably have much more if I went the "standard" route and work for someone else, still that wouldnt make me "happy".

Maybe I got the script flipped, but for me its better to take the risk when you are young and dont have people depending on you. I dont think I would like toput my family in the position to lose a lot if I fail with my own business at the age 40. When Im living more for myself its fine to risk, but later on in lifeits getting more and more difficult I guess.

Right now Im doing things my way, but lets say I had a kid at 17. I wouldnt be able to make decisions like I do now. So it all also depends on your currentsituation. Unless you are not reponsible like that
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

OP...I hear you loud and clear...

Here's another spin on it. The "common" folk are under the impression that slavery occurred 200 years ago and ended 200 years ago. What people don't realize is that slavery is just as rampant now as it was back then. Only difference is that, now, it really isn't about skin color anymore. The only color that matters is green and the people caught up in bondage are those that chase "green".

It's even more dire when you realize that, as contrary as it may seem, money is worthless. It's a piece of paper with ink on it. And yet, people chase after it because they've been tricked into thinking that they need "luxuries" to survive--which is absolutely false.

Realtalk, I'm on my Thoreau ishhh right now...I don't ever plan on becoming just another tool...

I got goosebumps
pimp.gif

I work for myself now and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Some of you know that I am an eye doctor and the advantage of doing everything my way is that I can do everything I want to for the patient - not what I amtold to and in the time I am told to do it. I choose the products (contact lenses etc) that I like and those are the ones I use.

The disadvantage is that right now I don't make as much money as I could if I was working for someone else - it takes time to grow a practice. I should inthe future but not for a few years. I also don't get any time off - I only take a few days vacation a year and even when I'm off I'm thinking aboutthe business - and being phoned with any problems. I can't just go away for a week and not "work".

But I sleep better. I didn't start my own practice to be rich - but to provide the best patient care I can and to enjoy my job.

A lot of people don't want that though - they want to go to their job, do it, punch the clock at 5 and go home with nothing else to do.

yo this %%## been playing on my mind a lot recently and some very good points have been raised so far..

Luckily i'm in a position where i have very little responsibility, (no kids, dependant fam etc) i just gotta pay my own way so i've got the'luxury' of sharing the same way of thinking as some of you guys. I've been very careful not to slip into this comfort zone, i've seen myfriends do it. They take jobs they don't really want but the regular paper keeps them content, i don't want no part of that. So basically i gotta setsomething up myself or find a job i really enjoy/value, both of which are pretty difficult. Then even if you manage to do that you still gotta pay your dues.System is +!%#%* up
smh.gif

because I dont have heart or drive....
laugh.gif

see thats my dilema....i think this way but i really dont do nothing about it
tired.gif
.......gonna change that though
mad.gif

Because I don't have the billions of dollars necessary to run the business I want...

I'm not trying to own a Dunkin Donuts or sell airbrushed t-shirts and call that my life...

As long as my checks keep coming, I'm good.

What people don't realize is that slavery is just as rampant now as it was back then. Only difference is that, now, it really isn't about skin color anymore. The only color that matters is green and the people caught up in bondage are those that chase "green".

Thats the truth.

Right now I'm working two jobs to secure enough capital and pay off a couple bills. I have a couple of businesses that i want to start. Yall should checkout the book "Secrets of the Millionaire Mind".

Back
Top Bottom