Questions about moving out

Sup, NT. I'm planning to move out this year and would like to hear experiences from NT'ers who has moved out. Did you move out on your own or with a room mate? What are some tips on apartment hunting besides reading reviews (ex. knowing key things to look for to determine whether a co. is sketch), did you have a large foundation before moving out? (don't have to go into specific numbers). Any tips, experiences you have gone through with moving would be helpful.

My plan is to move out with my dog (he's a bigger dog about 65 lbs maybe more) to an apartment a little closer to my job. Planning to get a studio alone.

Pet rent is usually a little more. You'll definitely want to move somewhere you have access to a park for your dog.

Skip the roommate thing if you can. Living by yourself is great. You can have company whenever or walk around however without offending another person.

As far as finding the right place, you'll get a lower rate for apartments that aren't up to date on appliances and features like cabinets and granite counters. Aka if you go to an apartment with white cabinets and appliances, bring that up. "The other apartments I looked at in this price range had newer appliances, cabinets, etc." Don't go in there sounding desperate. Try to negotiate.

Well, I always looked at the area, the quality of the apartments, amenities, and specials.

With you having a large dog, make sure that the complex you are checking out allows dogs of that size. I know some spots don't allow dogs that large or specific breeds.

And like what Brolic stated, take your time and consider all the pros and cons of all the options you're considering.

A lot of places want first, last and deposit all at once. The key is to find a place with a lower deposit. Chances are you'll see less than half of your deposit when you move out anyway so you'll want to pay less on that.

Also, don't forget renters insurance. Many landlords/apartments require that you are insured. If you end up living in an old building this is important. Old wiring and ish like that could be a fire someday and you'll want to be covered. Its like $10 a month anyway and kind of a no brainer.

Do rent prices vary monthly? I always read reviews about people having extra fees added that they don't know about.

Last edited:
^^^No.

Just make sure you understand your landlord fully and read your lease.

Last edited:
Do rent prices vary monthly? I always read reviews about people having extra fees added that they don't know about.

Utilities. Some complexes share their water bill and that can fluctuate.

Or if you rent a condo with an HOA and get fined for various things.

I deal with tenants everyday and urge you to read your lease carefully.

Some of them have tried to disregard the lease, but immediately changed their tones when courts got involved.

Last edited:
[quote name="BallDontLie206" ]

Also, don't forget renters insurance. Many landlords/apartments require that you are insured. If you end up living in an old building this is important. Old wiring and ish like that could be a fire someday and you'll want to be covered. Its like $10 a month anyway and kind of a no brainer.
[/quote]

Would that also cover theft for say a large collection of shoes? Or just a fire?

Affordable, nice, convenient location. Pick 2.

I learned the hard way when I first moved out. Found an affordable place that was right off the highway but in a sketchy area. Long story short, I had one car vandalized and another car someone tried to break into. At least I never walked out and saw my car on bricks... That's not even the half of it but yea, you get what you pay for.

I'm actually about to get an apt with 2 other guys after living solo for the past 5 years. I'd strongly encourage you to consider a roommate or 2 as well (regardless of your financial situation). That extra $500-700 you save a month really adds up and can be put towards a down payment on a house. Renting is cool for a bit, but you eventually want to own.

I saved up about $4k for my bedroom and living room furniture before moving out. At the very least, make sure you have a couch, bed (frame, box spring, and mattress), and table (either a nice dinner table or card table as a temporary thing). Its easy to move in with nothing but a mattress and get comfortable with it and not get anything else. Visualize your place and get matching furniture. Use http://www.houzz.com/ to get ideas for furniture and color matching.

Tour several places and take a tape measure with you. Know the dimensions of your living space as well as the furniture to make sure everything will fit. Account for door clearance, space needed for drawers to open, all that.

Only think about your needs when deciding on a place. That is, this is YOUR living space before its anything else (like the pregame spot, party spot, etc.). You're the one that pays the rent, not your friends. Don't pay an extra $300 a month for that top floor unit with 100 extra sqft and a den for people to crash. Get enough space for you (and your dog), that's all you need.

Lastly, make sure you read through the Bachelor Pad thread: http://niketalk.com/t/229529/bachelor-pad

Last edited:
Go to the apartment at night a few nights to see what its really like.

Make sure you dont get a place with paper thin walls

Try to get the second floor so you dont gotta hear somebody walking around or doing exercises at midnight

Get renters insurance and take pics and save receipts of your major purchases

Live alone, piece of mind is worth more than a few hundred dollars saved a month

Keep your spot clean!

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Go to the apartment at night a few nights to see what its really like.

Make sure you dont get a place with paper thin walls

Try to get the second floor so you dont gotta hear somebody walking around or doing exercises at midnight

Get renters insurance and take pics and save receipts of your major purchases

Live alone, piece of mind is worth more than a few hundred dollars saved a month

Keep your spot clean!
Hoping for this, I ideally want peace of mind. Been through some rough times the past years and wanting to switch it up for the sake of my mental health and well being.

Any experiences moving out with a large dog? I work approx 9 hours a day, my dog is typically calm but currently he's being raised as an outdoor dog. I do let him come in and sleep on cold nights and bad weather though. He may be too big for a crate and 9 hours is very long imo to keep him in a crate.

Would that also cover theft for say a large collection of shoes? Or just a fire?
Yes, mine does but you will want to clarify with your agent/company. If your collection is worth porsche money, you might wanna make sure your personal property coverage is more than the standard amount.

OP, IF your moving out for good. Never moving back with parents... Look to buy a home or condo. There are special opportunities like "Rent to Own". I'm not sure if apartments are rent to own. I'd have to research that but you want to be investing and putting money into property that you can EVENTUALLY own.

Roomates always ends in a heap of ****

If you cant afford to live by yourself....hold off..save...then get your own stuff

If you cant afford to live by yourself....hold off..save...then get your own stuff
Real talk. Things will get rocky, fights will be had, and friendships will be broken. You don't know a person until you live with them.

Unless you got a steady girlfriend to live with, stay at home as long as you can. Save as much money.

Also area is more important than the size of the apartment. Dealing with ****** neighbors, worrying about break ins is not what you want.

Last edited:
Im not going the roommate route. My car is paid off and I'm quite frugal unless it comes to food, I'll spend on food with no hesitation :smh: other than that I consider all purchases thoroughly so I believe I can afford a fairly priced studio after saving up a decent cushion amount.

I bought a house when I was 22 I'm 24 now, and got roommates (a form of house hacking)  have had no issues at all . I only pay for utilities and it allows me to save, invest, and pay off debt.

Like I said if you are young(under 26) and live in a high cost of living area nothing is wrong with roommates .

OP you need to do the math. All you have to do is calculate your expenses and what rent + utilities would be to see if you can afford to move out.

General rule is rent + utilities should be no more than 30% of your monthly income.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom