R&B Thread About Nothing

Mariah bodied this....

Interesting tidbit from Wiki.....

"Breakdown" was the source of controversy when it came to its release. Carey was having a conflict with Columbia over the singles choices, as they were already not happy with the album's hip-hop transition.[4] Later, in 1998 when Carey was composing the songs for her first compilation album, #1's, the song was again one of the reasons for continued conflict within the label. They disagreed on what content should compose the album.[4] Sony wanted to release an album that featured her US number one singles, void of any new material. Carey on the other hand, felt that a greatest hits album should reflect on her most personal and favorite songs, not her most commercial.[4] To accompany her thirteen number ones, Carey recorded four new songs. She felt that not including any new material would result in cheating her fans, therefore including some new material as well.[4] While compromised, Carey often expressed distaste towards the album's song selection, expressing her disappointment in the omission of her "favorite songs."[4]

For this reason, Sony titled the album #1's, as Carey felt the need to express the album's true content, a collection of her number one hits.[4] Carey has frequently cited "Underneath the Stars" (1996) and "Breakdown" (1997) as examples of songs she was unsuccessful in releasing.

Everyone swung it like I didn't want to put something out because I wouldn't accept less than a No. 1 Pop Single. That's not even true. Like I didn't want to "break a streak." My streak was broken a long time ago. I don't even have a streak. I had five number ones, then I had records that didn't go to number one. Whatever I wanted to put out "Breakdown" with Bone-Thugs-N-Harmony. That was a no-brainer. Release it. I'll always be upset "Breakdown" never got its shot.
—Carey, on her disappointment in the singles chosen, during an interview with Vibe.

Last edited:

362ABDAE-D29B-4722-A841-F1C41D3F2374.gif

Yo that interview is good. It's crazy hearing about what happened between their first and second album. That first album is a classic and I remember seeing album two in the store and not hearing a single song or seeing a video, I was confused as hell as a kid.

Here's my favorite joints off that album

Back
Top Bottom