Race is the craziest thing in America

Originally Posted by OGbobbyjohnson773

Originally Posted by dadecounty11

Is a white person who was born and raised in Africa, then moved to the US still an African American?
philosoraptor.jpg

If they wanted to, they honestly could be considered African American. It's definitely not a huge stretch like people probably think.

no...an African American is an American person who is ethnically African and has been Americanized by European imperialism.  
African migrants aren't African Americans. 

Originally Posted by James Earl Zones

Originally Posted by dgk3188

Originally Posted by Jordanscrub

I'm white and honestly as corny as it sounds I believe in the Human RACE....that's it. There are nationalities, and everybody has relatives from a different place, but as far as separating everybody into different categories? Nah.

that's white privilege speaking there
I'm black and believe the same thing.

I think what dgk3188 was saying is that in general (like things that people just accept) is that white people growing up "don't experience hardships" and would tend to
look at things with rose colored glasses (maybe in a blind/nieve way), and that blacks and other minorities are "more inclined to experience hardships and difficulties, which
is how his "white privilege" remark relates to Jordan's comment. Me personally, I would like to think of things as just being the human race, and not separating people into
different categories. But I have to just be realistic and know that that's just not how things work.

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Originally Posted by OGbobbyjohnson773

If they wanted to, they honestly could be considered African American. It's definitely not a huge stretch like people probably think.
no...an African American is an American person who is ethnically African and has been Americanized by European imperialism.  
African migrants aren't African Americans. 

That's true, but it's really not a stretch that they could be considered African American. Is it something technical? Sure, but
it's not completely out of the question.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Excellent post seniosoul. Black history month was actually a brilliant, yet patronizing way to pacify blacks by Nixon. When people tried to call him on his bs, he could just point and say "look I alotted them a whole month!"

I like Freeman's statement for a couple reasons. 1) He has a point, 2) He is actually talking about a solution, not the problem itself. African Americans is a blanket term that has been politically acceptable ever since the post 60's movement adopted it as a way to identify with it's roots. While it may have a unifying aspect to group us all together as "African Americans. It is insulting to both africans and black americans in my opinion, for the very reason that it loses the identity and cultural characteristics of two different cultural groups.

Race is such an interesting topic to me, for a few reasons, 1.) I am part black myself 2.) The issue of race mixes itself across many different categories in America. The most interesting to me, is how some Americans just don't see the connection with Race, and how it matters to this day in America. They want to point to a bunch of other reasons as to why racial and cultural divides exist. In my opinion this is a denial of guilt, and privilege they have received in the process of holding down an entire race for well over a century of exponential financial growth, in major part due to our ancestors free labor.

First off your assessment of this whole situation is incorrect, due to the fact that Nixon did not play an integral part at all in establishing the foundation for black history month. The seed was first planted by Carter G. Woodson, who advocated for black history week on the grounds that blacks were a presence in America since colonial times. Largely an ignored segment in history books, Carter G. Woodson was aware that blacks had played a part in the establishment of America itself long before the shackles of slavery were finally removed. However, only in the twentieth century did blacks gain a respectable presence in history books. However, when blacks were included in history books it generally reflected an inferior social position that they were assigned to during that time period. Negro History week occurred during the second week of February in 1926, the purpose of which was to bring national attention to the contributions of blacks throughout history.

So I have no idea where you got the idea that Nixon established black history month as a way to pacify blacks. If anything, President Ford was the president who issued a Message of Observance of Black History Month which was issued in 1975. Then in 1976 this was expanded to Black History Month. In subsequent years, President Carter as well as President Reagan continued to issue messages honoring black history month. Although President Carter is often credited as the president who officially recognized black history month in 1978.

Although I agree with the points you made, particularly point number 2, but the admission of President Nixon pacifying blacks could not be further from the truth.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

I think what dgk3188 was saying is that in general (like things that people just accept) is that white people growing up "don't experience hardships" and would tend to
look at things with rose colored glasses (maybe in a blind/nieve way), and that blacks and other minorities are "more inclined to experience hardships and difficulties, which
is how his "white privilege" remark relates to Jordan's comment. Me personally, I would like to think of things as just being the human race, and not separating people into
different categories. But I have to just be realistic and know that that's just not how things work.

Is that what you were saying, dgk3188? I feel like his comment should be expounded on. Being of the white race does not immediately take away hardships, so I'm not getting it. White people go through many of the same things we do. I've witnessed firsthand.

I honestly do think of us just being the human race, but the division comes up because that's life. And yes realistically speaking my way of thinking is nice, albeit futile.

I just want everyone to get along. These social and economic gaps are killing us.

Why can't I just be, "Yellow?"

I hate seeing things like..

"What is your race?"

[ ] White
[ ] Black
[ ] Asian

Originally Posted by gllahone84

Excellent post seniosoul. Black history month was actually a brilliant, yet patronizing way to pacify blacks by Nixon. When people tried to call him on his bs, he could just point and say "look I alotted them a whole month!"

I like Freeman's statement for a couple reasons. 1) He has a point, 2) He is actually talking about a solution, not the problem itself. African Americans is a blanket term that has been politically acceptable ever since the post 60's movement adopted it as a way to identify with it's roots. While it may have a unifying aspect to group us all together as "African Americans. It is insulting to both africans and black americans in my opinion, for the very reason that it loses the identity and cultural characteristics of two different cultural groups.

Race is such an interesting topic to me, for a few reasons, 1.) I am part black myself 2.) The issue of race mixes itself across many different categories in America. The most interesting to me, is how some Americans just don't see the connection with Race, and how it matters to this day in America. They want to point to a bunch of other reasons as to why racial and cultural divides exist. In my opinion this is a denial of guilt, and privilege they have received in the process of holding down an entire race for well over a century of exponential financial growth, in major part due to our ancestors free labor.

First off your assessment of this whole situation is incorrect, due to the fact that Nixon did not play an integral part at all in establishing the foundation for black history month. The seed was first planted by Carter G. Woodson, who advocated for black history week on the grounds that blacks were a presence in America since colonial times. Largely an ignored segment in history books, Carter G. Woodson was aware that blacks had played a part in the establishment of America itself long before the shackles of slavery were finally removed. However, only in the twentieth century did blacks gain a respectable presence in history books. However, when blacks were included in history books it generally reflected an inferior social position that they were assigned to during that time period. Negro History week occurred during the second week of February in 1926, the purpose of which was to bring national attention to the contributions of blacks throughout history.

So I have no idea where you got the idea that Nixon established black history month as a way to pacify blacks. If anything, President Ford was the president who issued a Message of Observance of Black History Month which was issued in 1975. Then in 1976 this was expanded to Black History Month. In subsequent years, President Carter as well as President Reagan continued to issue messages honoring black history month. Although President Carter is often credited as the president who officially recognized black history month in 1978.

Although I agree with the points you made, particularly point number 2, but the admission of President Nixon pacifying blacks could not be further from the truth.
Your wrong, and the whole tone of your post disgusts me, because it lends credibility to oppression, which has been a very strong psychological factor in maintain the Western European global hegemony. Black History Month is a very condescending way to acknowledge our historical legacy whether you realize it or not. 
We've given everything to the false idealisms of America, which have always been forbidden to the black man even though he has protected America from day 1, and we get superficial %%% like Black History Month, because the black man goes virtually unrepresented and unacknowledged to this very day. Then people like you come with pathos reinforcing all the negatives we're finally trying to put to rest. 

Originally Posted by Jordanscrub

I'm white and honestly as corny as it sounds I believe in the Human RACE....that's it. There are nationalities, and everybody has relatives from a different place, but as far as separating everybody into different categories? Nah.

Exactly. White people arent allowed to identify with the whole diversity thing, how can we relate when we're just white? I was fillin out college essays and all the questions were about how will you bring diversity to this college? I dont know?

Word, that is exactly what I meant.

I'd like to think of humans as all being one race as well. Living peacefully and not letting color affect the way a person is viewed or treated.  But this is naive to think this. Especially being a minority (I'm Latino). 

Yes many white people do go thru the same struggles that we go through. But there's a whole 'nother world of just experiencing the same struggles.  If a black person goes to a job interview he has to be mindful of how he comes across (assuming that the person that is interviewing him is white).  There are many things that Black and Latinos (even Asians and Indians etc...anyone not white) go through that white people will never ever experience. 

Funny that you mention social and economic gaps. Did you know that the unemployment rates for African Americans by gender, education, and age are much higher today than those of whites, and these unemployment rates for African Americans rose much faster than those for comparable groups of whites during and after the Great Recession.

http://www.americanprogre.../black_unemployment.html

I'd like to think of humans as all being one race as well. Living peacefully and not letting color affect the way a person is viewed or treated.  But this is naive to think this. Especially being a minority (I'm Latino). 

Yes many white people do go thru the same struggles that we go through. But there's a whole 'nother world of just experiencing the same struggles.  If a black person goes to a job interview he has to be mindful of how he comes across (assuming that the person that is interviewing him is white).  There are many things that Black and Latinos (even Asians and Indians etc...anyone not white) go through that white people will never ever experience. 

Funny that you mention social and economic gaps. Did you know that the unemployment rates for African Americans by gender, education, and age are much higher today than those of whites, and these unemployment rates for African Americans rose much faster than those for comparable groups of whites during and after the Great Recession.

Thank you for clarifying.

I'm aware that we as minorities "have it harder". The constant division disgusts me though. This illusion of acceptance and tolerance disgusts me even more.

I was aware of the gaps in employment rates but I hadn't seen it broken into that many categories, thank you for that.

The bottom line is, American was founded and built on racism. Racism is just as American as "Apple Pie". That's just a fact. My problem with it is, America tries to sweep it under the rug and poo poo it because "we are in 2011". Racism is still here, but institutionalized. It will never go away.

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Originally Posted by gllahone84

Your wrong, and the whole tone of your post disgusts me, because it lends credibility to oppression, which has been a very strong psychological factor in maintain the Western European global hegemony. Black History Month is a very condescending way to acknowledge our historical legacy whether you realize it or not. 
We've given everything to the false idealisms of America, which have always been forbidden to the black man even though he has protected America from day 1, and we get superficial %%% like Black History Month, because the black man goes virtually unrepresented and unacknowledged to this very day. Then people like you come with pathos reinforcing all the negatives we're finally trying to put to rest. 

When someone states Nixon established black history month to pacify blacks, that in itself is wrong. So I don't see how you can say I'm lending credibility oppression when I try to shed light on something that is simply not true.

Thanks for that current info.  The discrimination out here is sickening. 

Originally Posted by wHo NicE as HiM

Originally Posted by bboy1827

I've never been to Africa, nor do I identify with most Africans. I like apple pie and football, not....whatever they do in Africa.

indifferent.gif

this statement is biased and ignorant...also against very argument you're presenting ....

does the rapper bangs not like taking lettuce to the movies and sharing pupcorn with guiles? things that americans do?

america is "the land of the free"...your nationality (mother-land) is to help you identify with your culture and the heritage from
which you came. nothing wrong with that
irish-american, italian-american, jewish (israelie) american, asian-american, ....etc.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
If dude wasn't trolling this board, I'm sure somebody will pull out the Fry/Futurama gif

Is a white person who was born and raised in Africa, then moved to the US still an African American?

eek.gif

I'm not black...but I've studied my history and my roots.

My Black brothers...how many of you have studied your history and your roots? Seeing some of these responses is a bit depressing. Learn about yourselves. You should be proud to be African.

My Black brothers...how many of you have studied your history and your roots? Seeing some of these responses is a bit depressing. Learn about yourselves. You should be proud to be African.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Young generation is food for the wolves. They have no idea about the world around them or history.

Back
Top Bottom