Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Screenshot_20200216-202120_Instagram.jpg

Rap’s foundation is damn near damn the folks that came b4 for in regards to beefs, rap battles, and diss records. I never got the appeal of going out of ones way to try to end somebody’s career. Hip hop is hella positive as well as wild negative. One of the big negatives is not valuing ppl that paved the way and or has had some type of significant impact on the culture.

I disagree, I think it became that way later down the line. Rapping is or at least used to be a competitive sport. Most of the behavior you’re talking about is prevalent online and on social media which is why social media was brought up. People just say whatever the larger group is saying and then the memes start flying and it’s a snowball effect.

It’s been far more observable in this era of hot takes and one upsmanship that social media has created by giving every dummy a voice and a means to be seen or go viral.

what you’re describing is just a side effect of what we’re talking about.

Happy Gday - Gslim! May Allah have mercy on your soul...

For y’all that don’t know, this was Mystikal label mate on Big Boy Records (Pre No Limit and Cash Money). He brought the G-funk sound to New Orleans. He was gunned down at 21.

group think and peer pressure caused by social media

this the hot takes generation

Just look at the NBA thread now for Common and Chaka Khan.

****s crazy

Rap’s foundation is damn near damn the folks that came b4 for in regards to beefs, rap battles, and diss records. I never got the appeal of going out of ones way to try to end somebody’s career. Hip hop is hella positive as well as wild negative. One of the big negatives is not valuing ppl that paved the way and or has had some type of significant impact on the culture.

Yep

Welcome to the real world/adult hood. Life itself is FULLLLL of wild negativity. Hip Hop at is core was done to expose the fake and naivety of White America, corporate America and the Government. Ironically, corporate America loves hip hop now. We’ve had this discussion thrice times over. Hip Hop music isn’t the only thing that spews negativity out here. Again, rap was created to be brash, in your face, and to expose the ills of society. Of course it’s evolved over time but life itself is a COMPETITION. Competition breeds evolution.

You need to listen to Chuck D and Public Enemy. Hip Hop ain’t the only artistic entity out here that peddles negativity. Gotta stop blaming rap for idiotic people and their lack of good judgment or decision making.

You even got athletes not paying homage to the past.... every industry has those outliers who could care less about history. That’s life.

You're saying that after the All Star game had Bill Russell, Dr J, Isiah Thomas, DWade.... there?

Hip hop is the only genre that doesn't respect it's greats.

You wouldn't hear Booker or Brandon Ingram say Lebron is in the way. He needs to get out of the way and make room for Giannis sneaker line.

do you ever wonder about the psychology of the young black man and it’s link to this?

it’s almost like we’ve been conditioned to eat our own to succeed..

I think it's because too many don't have fathers or male authority figures and rebel against other black men.

For some reason people see it as competition, and you have to be Jay-Z to give advice.

I was watching Antonio Brown on Breakfast Club, and he downplayed TO. Like he's broke what the f*ck can he tell me. That's even more reason to listen. Because his reputation also ruined his football career, besides having money issues, he could have had several more seasons. But teams thought he was a cancer, and it's also why he had to wait for the hall of fame.

driving earlier to this. pacs second verse is just amazing:smokin the older I get, the more I like pac.

“The feds is watchin', ****** plottin' to get me
Will I survive? Will I die? Come on, let's picture the possibility
Givin' me charges, lawyers makin' a grip
I told the judge I was raised wrong and that's why I blaze ****”

1. I disagree, I think it became that way later down the line. Rapping is or at least used to be a competitive sport. Most of the behavior you’re talking about is prevalent online and on social media which is why social media was brought up. People just say whatever the larger group is saying and then the memes start flying and it’s a snowball effect.

2. It’s been far more observable in this era of hot takes and one upsmanship that social media has created by giving every dummy a voice and a means to be seen or go viral.

what you’re describing is just a side effect of what we’re talking about.
1. Nah ppl use to witch hunt, white ppl use to get ready for the evening lynching like it was concert, sinnead o’ conor lost her career when she denounced the Catholic Church for its pedo **** due to mob mentality. Ppl work desk jobs and place value on things like engagement rings b/c of group thinking. Group thinking is simply the human way.

Now back to hip hop, it’s always had this strange balance of unity and division from day 1. That division is usually hidden in “competition” Kendrick literally said “
I got love for you all but I'm tryna murder you ******
Tryna make sure your core fans never heard of you ******
They don't wanna hear not one more noun or verb from you ******”
Ppl praised it and it always rubbed me the wrong way. And I would honestly smack the **** out of someone who came for my livelihood that claimed to have “love” for me.

2. Same ****, better microscope.

driving earlier to this. pacs second verse is just amazing:smokin the older I get, the more I like pac.

“The feds is watchin', ****** plottin' to get me
Will I survive? Will I die? Come on, let's picture the possibility
Givin' me charges, lawyers makin' a grip
I told the judge I was raised wrong and that's why I blaze ****”

Didnt realize feb 13 was 24yrs since AEOM dropped

Back
Top Bottom