Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

you need 2 become an A&R seriously

Was just bout to say homie hit em with the deep dive :lol:.

He was on point about “Trap Selena” and **** like that. Nipsey Hussle was just talking about how moments like that that can make or break a record.

That Cardi and Bruno joint got 2.6 million "views" already. Them people going hard for Cardi. :lol:

I like the In Living Color/New jack swing vibe it got. :pimp:

Nicki right now

giphy.gif

I was just thinking how bad and generic that Cardi verse was but people fell in love the moment that video came on and the aesthetic and beat hit. She just got it.

She should do a movie or something about her come up. I feel like music only a small part of her potential.

Cardi’s 15 mins got extended with the Migos cosign. The word has been offset is getting ghostwriter checks so eh. Cardi is cool but Nicki will drop a pop track with Drake and own the summer

Cardi’s 15 mins got extended with the Migos cosign. The word has been offset is getting ghostwriter checks so eh. Cardi is cool but Nicki will drop a pop track with Drake and own the summer

How'd her last song with Drake and Wayne do? That's right, it flopped.

People cool off, happens to everyone except Beyonce.

Nicki album been pushed back years now. She's not hot.

How'd her last song with Drake and Wayne do? That's right, it flopped.

People cool off, happens to everyone except Beyonce.

Nicki album been pushed back years now. She's not hot.

Nicki has Drake’s backing, probably the biggest artist in the world. You’re highly mistaken if you think the days of Nicki having huge hits are over.

Im glad you said that cause a lot of people overlook these but they can be really important as far as reaching out and grabbing you past the hook. People have various terms for them but I know Jay-Z and them refer to them as “tricks”

It can be a super memorable line, flow, etc. Jay would write his **** then go back and dumb it down a lil and add “tricks”

Imagine ‘Hot *****’ without “Mitch caught a body bout a week ago” or ‘All Gold Everything’ without “Popped a Molly I’m sweating”. I saw “Got a bag and fixed my teeth” everywhere after Bodak Yellow blew up.

Kanye used to kill it but Drake is one of the best at tricks right now, _write a whole 16 full of IG captions and one line tweets :lol:

Yessir. 100%. Another example:

That “You call her Stephanie, I call her head-phanie” line....is what took Young Ma’s OUUU outta here.

Those work really well. And people can’t wait to hear those in settings and recite them. Brings life to the songs.

Cardi cool in my book. But she got something Nicki don't, idk what it is it's just something. She meant to be a star, rap is only the beginning.

Cardi is a ratchet that likes twerk, talk **** and flaunts sexual promiscuity all while being loud and saying inappropriate things most of the time.

She is the typical girl that scrolls through IG. So many girls see themselves in her. The first time I even found out who she was, was from this chick I used to mess with who was a headcase. Anytime we would start arguing she would be like “If you beef with me we’ll beef.......forevvvaaah”. I’d always be like why are you saying that lame *** ****, where is that from? :lol: I was then introduced to her idol. Some ratchet girl that glorified stripping and beating **** up. It’s been nothing but up for Cardi since

Last edited:
Nicki has Drake’s backing, probably the biggest artist in the world. You’re highly mistaken if you think the days of Nicki having huge hits are over.

Nicki as a lead artist is cold. It ain’t work for her last year. Drake ain’t “cold”...but he don’t have the same momentum he had circa 2013-2016...where EVERYTHING he touched was a “moment”. They’d have to churn out a seriously quality record....not just your run of the mill Nicki and drake throwaway feature that they’ve done before that did well (truffle butter was the last). She’ll need Something inspired if that’s her route. An actual good record ie: “moment for life” instead of “no frauds”. And Wayne ain’t appealing at all to anyone right now...so she can scratch that.

They had their run. 7 years. They cooled off in that lane. It happens. Nicki gotta live with that. She still going to have success in different capacities...but her days of just churning out instant hit records as a lead artist with Drake or Wayne attached to it are mostly done.

I would have thought Nicki would have put more attention into acting and only dabbled in music still

Cardi is a ratchet that likes twerk, talk **** and flaunts sexual promiscuity all while being loud and saying inappropriate things most of the time.

She is the typical girl that scrolls through IG. So many girls see themselves in her. The first time I even found out who she was, was from this chick I used to mess with who was a headcase. Anytime we would start arguing she would be like “If you beef with me we’ll beef.......forevvvaaah”. I’d always be like why are you saying that lame *** ****, where is that from? :lol: I was then introduced to her idol. Some ratchet girl that glorified stripping and beating **** up. It’s been nothing but up for Cardi since

You shouldn't have this much dislike for a female bruh.

:lol: @ "saying inappropriate things"

Nicki as a lead artist is cold. It ain’t work for her last year. Drake ain’t “cold”...but he don’t have the same momentum he had circa 2013-2016...where EVERYTHING he touched was a “moment”. They’d have to churn out a seriously quality record....not just your run of the mill Nicki and drake throwaway feature that they’ve done before that did well (truffle butter was the last). She’ll need Something inspired if that’s her route. An actual good record ie: “moment for life” instead of “no frauds”. And Wayne ain’t appealing at all to anyone right now...so she can scratch that.

They had their run. 7 years. They cooled off in that lane. It happens. Nicki gotta live with that. She still going to have success in different capacities...but her days of just churning out instant hit records as a lead artist with Drake or Wayne attached to it are mostly done.

I can’t agree fam. I’m not ready to put Cardi on top of the pillar after a blazing hot 7-8 months when Nicki has been THE female artist for 6-7 years. Pink Friday is a REALLY REALLY good album, almost ready to call it a classic. Don’t even think Cardi’s album has a release date. She’s definitely a wave right now but Nicki was a whole movement and I’m not completely sure she’s done

Cardi’s 15 mins got extended with the Migos cosign. The word has been offset is getting ghostwriter checks so eh

I don’t think it’s Offset he prolly would help just off GP but she got a few people in her circle that can help her here and there etc

Pardison Fontaine was involved/helped out w Bodak Yellow and her verse on No Limit, idk about other tracks

Not 100% all true. Right now, you absolutely will look like a “hater” if you critique Cardi B’s music. And a lot of people don’t want to be labeled that....so they’ll just blanketedly say she’s “dope” and keep it moving. Her also being seemingly a good, open spirit makes it hard for some to call it what it is. Most just thought the moment would die in time and wanted to see her win for that momment....but she’s getting legitimized slowly as a top tier rapper while everyone conviently overlooks what she is.

The only thing that’s really “dope” about Cardi musically is her personality. The bar has been lowered for her as far as “respect” goes...and there are numerous reasons for this.

That being said...Cardi and her team have picked some smart features and production that work extremely well with her core fan base. Women and gay men who care for the end result. And moments like “Trap Selena” on “Motorsport” or that “gimme face” line or “turn g-easy out” on “it ain’t safe”....resonate well with that crowd. You just gotta watch women react when those Cardi songs come on. It’s incredible.

Over time though....the “girl we watched come up” persona will fade...and people will sour and really start to see Cardi for her lack of artistry.....then they’ll pretend they care :lol:.

Rinse and repeat.

QFT

She literally is popping this hard right now because she's the voice of every female and gay man who's ever said "Yassss Sissss"

Im glad you said that cause a lot of people overlook these but they can be really important as far as reaching out and grabbing you past the hook. People have various terms for them but I know Jay-Z and them refer to them as “tricks”

It can be a super memorable line, flow, etc. Jay would write his **** then go back and dumb it down a lil and add “tricks”

Imagine ‘Hot *****’ without “Mitch caught a body bout a week ago” or ‘All Gold Everything’ without “Popped a Molly I’m sweating”. I saw “Got a bag and fixed my teeth” everywhere after Bodak Yellow blew up.

Kanye used to kill it but Drake is one of the best at tricks right now, _write a whole 16 full of IG captions and one line tweets :lol:

Nip Hussle has a great interview / pod out with Rap Radar and he calls it the "Climax of a record" The hook beyond a hook.

Like when K Dot says "My Left stroke went viral"

Or like w/ Bodak Yellow when she says "These is bloody shoes" This was so potent, even the hardest dude can emphasize with that line. The line transcends gender.

And as far as Cardi B goes,

I've been championing this for years, but aesthetic and image are everything as an artist, especially today. You can almost make someone like your music w/o them even hearing it if you can master that and Cardi and her handlers have done that. They like 'her,' they don't even care whether music is there or not. (For my money Bodak Yellow is an awesome record and her verse on No Limit was awesome. And to me this is undeniable)

Where she's different than Nicki, is that there's no real melodic presence from her current hits, which are impressive and rare. Nicki took the Drake / YM blueprint at the time of trying to balance the two (Even though she doesn't have the talent that drake does) where as Cardi B really is getting to this point musically with raps. Interested to see where she goes moving forward

Cardi cool in my book. But she got something Nicki don't, idk what it is it's just something. She meant to be a star, rap is only the beginning.

Cardi is just the new thing, Nicki been on top since like 2010. Cardi's run won't be anything like Nicki's.

Cardi isn't a good rapper, she slurs her words and she occasionally raps off beat. After debris gets settled and the dust gets swept off fans will turn on her and call her wack. Her breakout song was her sharking Kodak blacks song (and something definitely happened behind the scenes with that situation since he has writing credits now), and the rest of "her" hit songs are nothing but her being a feature.

That Bruno mars pairing was a genius move by Atlantic.

Snoop is the king of those moments

One, two, three and to the fo'
Snoop Doggy Dogg and Dr. Dre is at the do'

Death Row is the label that pays me

We don't love them h0ez

With so much drama in the L-B-C
It's kinda hard bein Snoop D-O-double-G

Back
Top Bottom