Re: Why Dark-Skinned People From The Dominican Republic Refuse Their Blackness

All around the world dark skinned is considered poor. Light skinned is associated with wealth.

All around the world dark skinned is considered poor. Light skinned is associated with wealth.

Originally Posted by thenewjs23

basically.
from wikipedia:  

The stigma of being Black because of the unfavorable social situation of this population prevents the creation of a Black identity in Brazil.[sup][citation needed][/sup] Historian Joel Rufino dos Santos has written that because Blacks are disadvantaged in access to education and earn lower wages, it is not a surprise that Blacks self-report to be pardos because the prejudice in Brazil is based on the representation, on what people think about themselves or on what others think about them.[sup][citation needed][/sup] Gilberto Freyre has described how few wealthy Brazilians admit to having African ancestry,[sup][38][/sup] with people of darker complexion from the dominant classes usually associating their skin color with an Indian rather than African ancestry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil
Brazil has the largest population of African descendants (living outside of Africa) in the world. This large number was a result of the African Slave trade. In Brazil, skin color plays a large role in differences among the races. Social status. Individuals with lighter skin and who are racially mixed generally have higher rates of social mobility.[sup][15][/sup]

There are a disproportionate number of white elites[sup][clarification needed][/sup] than those of African descent. There are large health, education and income disparities between the races in Brazil.[sup][16][/sup]

In Latin America, light skin is seen as more attractive.[sup][17][/sup] In Mexico and in Brazil, light skin represents power. Light skin is seen as attractive.[sup][18][/sup] A dark skinned person is more likely to be discriminated in Brazil.[sup][19][/sup] Most South American actors and actresses have European features - blue eyes and pale skin. A light skinned person was considered to be more privileged and have a higher social status. A person with light skin is considered beautiful and it means that the person has more wealth. Skin color is such an obsession in these countries that specific words describe distinct skin tones from "hincha," Puerto Rican slang for "glass of milk" to "morena," literally "brown."[sup][20][/sup] Generally, those with dark skin and frizzy hair tend to be among the region's poorest and most disenfranchised.
[h2][edit][/h2]

[h2][/h2]

Originally Posted by thenewjs23

basically.
from wikipedia:  

The stigma of being Black because of the unfavorable social situation of this population prevents the creation of a Black identity in Brazil.[sup][citation needed][/sup] Historian Joel Rufino dos Santos has written that because Blacks are disadvantaged in access to education and earn lower wages, it is not a surprise that Blacks self-report to be pardos because the prejudice in Brazil is based on the representation, on what people think about themselves or on what others think about them.[sup][citation needed][/sup] Gilberto Freyre has described how few wealthy Brazilians admit to having African ancestry,[sup][38][/sup] with people of darker complexion from the dominant classes usually associating their skin color with an Indian rather than African ancestry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil
Brazil has the largest population of African descendants (living outside of Africa) in the world. This large number was a result of the African Slave trade. In Brazil, skin color plays a large role in differences among the races. Social status. Individuals with lighter skin and who are racially mixed generally have higher rates of social mobility.[sup][15][/sup]

There are a disproportionate number of white elites[sup][clarification needed][/sup] than those of African descent. There are large health, education and income disparities between the races in Brazil.[sup][16][/sup]

In Latin America, light skin is seen as more attractive.[sup][17][/sup] In Mexico and in Brazil, light skin represents power. Light skin is seen as attractive.[sup][18][/sup] A dark skinned person is more likely to be discriminated in Brazil.[sup][19][/sup] Most South American actors and actresses have European features - blue eyes and pale skin. A light skinned person was considered to be more privileged and have a higher social status. A person with light skin is considered beautiful and it means that the person has more wealth. Skin color is such an obsession in these countries that specific words describe distinct skin tones from "hincha," Puerto Rican slang for "glass of milk" to "morena," literally "brown."[sup][20][/sup] Generally, those with dark skin and frizzy hair tend to be among the region's poorest and most disenfranchised.
[h2][edit][/h2]

[h2][/h2]

banhammer_forecast.gif

Dominicans and a lot of the african diaspora in the caribean and south america are the descendants of slaves.....some embrace it-my mom is  a doctor and most of her patients are hispanic and a lot of them openly express to us us how pround they are about being African\
pimp.gif
. Some don't embrace it word to pigeonhood....which is actually ok but i wish he would atleast acknowledge the difference between "race" and culture.

Dominicans and a lot of the african diaspora in the caribean and south america are the descendants of slaves.....some embrace it-my mom is  a doctor and most of her patients are hispanic and a lot of them openly express to us us how pround they are about being African\
pimp.gif
. Some don't embrace it word to pigeonhood....which is actually ok but i wish he would atleast acknowledge the difference between "race" and culture.

I don't think they refute they are "black" in a color way. They associate being "black" with the negative things associated with stereotypes of African Americans. Or the poverty of dark skinned people that descended from slaves in the Caribbean or other places. To them black is a cultural term, not a racial one.

I don't think they refute they are "black" in a color way. They associate being "black" with the negative things associated with stereotypes of African Americans. Or the poverty of dark skinned people that descended from slaves in the Caribbean or other places. To them black is a cultural term, not a racial one.

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

yes to them black is cultural which is pretty stupid, because he black diaspora i very diverse

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

yes to them black is cultural which is pretty stupid, because he black diaspora i very diverse

This thread again? Smh

Dominican ppl are a mix of Spaniards, taino indians, & haitians, & slaves from

Africa...

Bottomline is we don't divide who we are by color because we're ALL hispanic.

Im tired of ppl on this site imposing a label on me when they dunno SQUAT bout Dominican

Culture...why don't u tell A-ROD he's black too...heh

This thread again? Smh

Dominican ppl are a mix of Spaniards, taino indians, & haitians, & slaves from

Africa...

Bottomline is we don't divide who we are by color because we're ALL hispanic.

Im tired of ppl on this site imposing a label on me when they dunno SQUAT bout Dominican

Culture...why don't u tell A-ROD he's black too...heh

Back
Top Bottom