Real Deal College Football Discussion... no homers please

Originally Posted by zs05wc

I also read somewhere that Tressell was saying he would revamp the offense to fit Pryor's skills? Basically It's a three-way with OSU, Michigan, and Oregon. Maybe LSU gets in it, but at the moment that's what I'm seeing. Pryor has two visits left: Michigan and Oregon, so we'll see what happens.
I'm pretty sure it's mainly just UofM and osu.

I dunno, not from what I've been hearing and reading. ESPN guys are saying that it's basically down to Oregon and Michigan and some other gurushave said similar things...
But then again, Pryor's been pretty quiet about favoring any school. It won't really matter after Feb 6th anyways...
Oregon's been picking up some good guys lately so I think I can manage until signing day to hear about this one.

Pryor gets into AA this morning sometime. Should be a fun day because Michigan has a HUGE group of their commits coming in

Tommy Blake (this guy snapped and lost his desire)
If dude can get his head right again, he's going to be a STEAL for somebody if he slips past the second or third round... He's going toget absolutely annihilated in Combine interviews though. Dude has got one hell of a mountain to climb trying to rebuild his career.
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Newbs24

Pryor gets into AA this morning sometime. Should be a fun day because Michigan has a HUGE group of their commits coming in
pray_z3a9.jpg

Originally Posted by dr funk 13

Originally Posted by zs05wc

I also read somewhere that Tressell was saying he would revamp the offense to fit Pryor's skills? Basically It's a three-way with OSU, Michigan, and Oregon. Maybe LSU gets in it, but at the moment that's what I'm seeing. Pryor has two visits left: Michigan and Oregon, so we'll see what happens.
I'm pretty sure it's mainly just UofM and osu.

I dunno, not from what I've been hearing and reading. ESPN guys are saying that it's basically down to Oregon and Michigan and some other gurus have said similar things...
But then again, Pryor's been pretty quiet about favoring any school. It won't really matter after Feb 6th anyways...
Oregon's been picking up some good guys lately so I think I can manage until signing day to hear about this one.

laugh.gif
..if he picks Oregon. Idk, not one thing Ive read even mentionsOregon as a realistic possibility.
Originally Posted by dr funk 13

Pryor has now put LSU On his list. and nice job pryor getting a free bball game out of pitt
laugh.gif
thats how you play your cards in recruiting
I read somewhere something along the lines of this: LSU's OC is Gary Crowton, who was an OC at Oregon last year. Crowton didn't do wonders with Dennis Dixon and his development. I think somebody wrote it in a blog somewhere but I can't remember.

Negative. Tressel forte is to tweak the offense to best suit the talent but, revamp..no.
Ppl are crazy hyped about Pryor but, idk im really not
embarassed.gif

The first time I met Eric Berry he was a junior in high school, and largely unknown outside of high school football and recruiting circles. But in those circles, he was a star, and one on the rise. Berry's star continued its ascendancy through all the recruiting hoopla, and even through the fire and brimstone baptism awaiting most freshman on SEC playing fields.

559032.JPG

In many cases, the SEC is serves as a rude awakening for high school stars, chewing up and spitting out countless youngsters every August who swagger onto campus in the fall. Invariably most of those youngsters come to the realization that guys just as talented as them are already on campus, and have been working for two or three years to earn or keep the jobs they have.

Berry was the exception to that scenario. He landed in Knoxville with as much hype as any recruit of the Phillip Fulmer era, and then pulled off one of the most difficult tricks in all of sports. He lived up to it.

"I think the season went exceptionally well, but I had a lot of help from the players and coaches. Jonathan Hefney in the defensive backfield with me, Jerod Mayo anchoring the middle; I had a lot of good players around me. I give the credit to them and the coaches," the low-key Berry said of his phenomenal freshman campaign.

"I wasn't expecting that (success) at all. I actually came in thinking I would just be a part of the nickel package, but things kept getting better and kind of went my way. I just thank the coaches for the opportunity.

The list of freshman honors he earned was lengthy, included freshman All-American honors, All-SEC recognition and being named SEC Defensive Freshman of the Year. He led the Vols with five interceptions and broke a 37-year-old school record by compiling 222 interception return yards, topping the previous mark of 177 set by Bobby Majors in 1970.

For Berry, meeting Majors seemed like as big of a deal as breaking his record.

"It really did shock me," Berry said of his interception return record. "I actually had a chance to meet Mr. Majors at practice one day. He was just joking around with me about it, it was great. I certainly didn't expect to do it, that's an accomplishment I didn't expect.

As Phillip Fulmer would tell anyone who would listen near the end of the season; Berry wasn't just one of the best freshman defensive backs in the league, he was one of the best defensive backs period.

When I met him that first time at that NIKE Camp in Athens, that kind of success would have been impossible to predict. But it also wasn't something that seemed completely out of the realm of possibility. The kid looked that good, that early.

The stories were out in Georgia before his junior year was even over about a kid flat out dominating the competition in the Atlanta area. By the time I met him that spring in Athens, less than two years ago, it was already abundantly clear that Berry was going a very big deal on the national level.

It was also apparent, because of the connection with his father James, that Tennessee was going to be a player in that recruitment. Because of that, I was interested to not only see him compete, but to see how Berry would be to deal with.

He was wearing a big cast nearly up to his elbow on his right arm that day that he had earned from breaking his wrist in a long-jump competition. Because of that he wasn't competing in any of the drills. But with the competitive juices flowing, on a whim he decided to get timed in the 40-yard dash.

He dropped his backpack, put his awkwardly-casted hand on the ground and ripped off a 4.33 electronically timed 40-yard dash. People stood there in shocked silence. It was the fastest time of the day in a camp that drew big time athletes from all over the place in the heart of the SEC's recruiting breadbasket.

It was a showstopper, to say the least.

People were talking and whispering about him the rest of the day, wherever he walked on Georgia's sprawling outdoor practice complex. I watched him a few times to try and get a feel for his response to what was some obvious adulation, and he seemed completely oblivious to it. He wasn't shy, but it was clear that he didn't actively seek out the spotlight, or call attention to himself for anything other than his ability.

We chatted for a bit latter that day for a story, and I was impressed again. As it turns out, Eric Berry was a pleasant kid. Bright, personable, well-spoken, and pretty much unaffected by the hype. Not exactly a given among some youngsters who get so much attention so early.

The next time I saw him in person was more than a year later, at Tennessee's media day inside Neyland Stadium prior to the 2007 season. By that time he was the gem of a top-five recruiting class and a young man that a passionate fan base was already showering with adoration reserved only for its most favored sons.

I was more than a little interested to see what an extremely high-profile recruitment and every accolade you can imagine had done to the quiet, engaging 17-year old I'd met before.

[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][/table]Turns out not much. The kid was taking it all in stride. Berry was more than aware that a starting spot was a possibility and big things were expected of him. And while he certainly didn't come off as cocky, he did come off as ready. In two-a-days started and Berry went off-limits to the media per Tennessee's policy on freshman. But he didn't disappear. In fact, he started showing up all over the place on the practice field, getting first-team reps the first week of practice (unheard of for a freshman) and making big plays when he got a chance in team scrimmages.

Before September was over he had his first interception return for a touchdown, and after he almost single-handedly beat South Carolina with an interception and a 51-yard fumble return, he was a full-fledged icon in Knoxville and a very popular figure on campus.

Having been familiar with Tennessee football through his father long before he was a prospect, Berry knew full well the kind of adulation comes with success on the football field. And he was ready for it.

Asked what it was like morphing into a bona fide college football star while getting used to being a college freshman, Berry revealed perhaps his greatest asset, the kind of uncommon maturity to match his athletic ability.
521594.JPG

"It kind of felt good, but at the same time in the back of your mind you have to realize that a pat on the back and a kick in the butt are only six inches apart," Berry said of the quick attention he received. "You can take the hype and the compliments, but you have to keep moving working.

"That comes from my dad and my high school coach, my defensive coordinator Johnny White. They always made sure to tell me to stay humble and keep working. Coach White is kind of like a godfather to me, I still talk to him almost every day."

That kind of grounded sensibility made Berry predisposed to handling success, and it also gave him the tools to achieve it early on.

You often hear about super-talented freshman getting by on ability, and while Berry probably could have done that and survived, he wasn't satisfied with it. Film study isn't something that comes naturally to many players, but Berry embraced, especially when he saw the benefits of it on the field.

"Around the South Carolina game things started to slow down. I started watching a lot more film and kind of got used to offenses. I started to see a lot of things come at me in the game that I was seeing on film. From that time on things kept slowing down," he said.

Asked what kind of positive reinforcement it was to have an interception and a fumble return for a near-score in that South Carolina game, after he said he really started to delve into film-study, Berry laughed and said, 'I started watching film a lot more'.

His maturity can be seen in his ability to adjust to the college game so quickly and handle the hype that's come with such an adjustment. It can also be seen in a decision he made long ago to focus on defense, rather than try to get himself recruited as an offensive player.

There's no question that Berry would be a nightmare to defend with the ball in his hands on a consistent basis. He's aware of his talent, but he's also aware of how valuable he is as a defensive player.

"Not at all," Berry said when asked if he was upset about not getting a look on offense this fall. "Coach Fulmer and those guys know what they're doing. I have complete faith in them. When I'm ready they'll put me over there.

"I kind of took it upon myself to play defense (early in my career). Offensive players are kind of a dime-a-dozen. If you know how to play defense, it's a good thing to do."

Without question Berry has laid the foundation for what could be one of the most dazzling careers fans of seen in Knoxville. That sounds like hyperbole, but the facts are the facts, and he's coming off a freshman season like few have seen.

Longtime members of the program, not given to grandiose statements, like defensive coordinator John Chavis, will tell you with a straight face that barring injury Berry will leave as the greatest defensive back the Vols have ever had and maybe the best defensive player period.

Berry has come a long way since I saw that kid toss his backpack on the grass and stun an entire football camp with his speed. And he hasn't stopped stunning people since.

It's hard to believe that just a little over a year ago he was dazzling a few thousand people in high school bleachers and not 100,000 people in Neyland Stadium. At that time the people singing his praises were high school football fans and local reporters.

These days it's Sportscenter anchors and front-page feature writers.

You'd think all that would turn a young man's head, give him at least a whiff of entitlement and maybe bring out a little bit of his inner-Rock Star.

That might be true in many cases. But it's not in this one. And once you realize that aside from maybe 20 pounds of muscle, Berry is the same guy he was before every football fan in the SEC knew his name, then you'll know the biggest secret to success and why the label 'can't miss', so rarely applicable, fits like a glove in this case.

More From Berry

Since Berry was arguably the most talked about player on the team this past season it would be a crime to waste any of his lone interview since the pre-season. With that in mind, here are some more snippets from Berry's brush with the microphones on Friday.

Berry on where his inclination to be a big-hitter came from

It comes from home. My coaches always just instilled in me that when you hit somebody try to inflict pain. Not to hurt 'em to put them out of the game, but to let them know that your presence is there and they'll be scared to come back through your area.

Berry on his 90-yard interception return against Florida

I thought I was dreaming to tell you the truth. I couldn't even hear the crowd. I couldn't believe it was happening.

Berry on Jonathan Hefney

Being under the tutelage of Jonathan he taught us a lot. He taught us what to look for, certain characteristics to watch for with the offense. That's going to serve us well this year. I give a lot of credit to Jon, he didn't have to do that.

He's been like a big brother and a mentor to me more than a teammate.

Berry on the return of Demetrice Morley

It's a big deal to have him coming back. When I was up here for the Florida game on a visit I remember watching him play. Now that he's back we hang out all the time; me, him and Brent (Vinson). He's a big playmaker. I love having him back. We'll probably be on the field at the same time from what the coaches are talking about.

On his 'welcome to college moment'

I had a welcome to college moment in two-a-days. I got pancaked by big Ramon Foster once when I was kind of standing around the pile. He cleaned my clock, kind of ran through me like a rag doll, so I guess that was kind of my welcome to Tennessee moment.

pimp.gif

Oregon won't get TP. I'm not too worried about it anyways... would it be nice? Very. But we already got Darron Thomas and I heard TP cancelled histrip to Eugene. The way this kids head is, he needs a national spotlight and Oregon isn't big-time enough for that.

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Oregon won't get TP. I'm not too worried about it anyways... would it be nice? Very. But we already got Darron Thomas and I heard TP cancelled his trip to Eugene. The way this kids head is, he needs a national spotlight and Oregon isn't big-time enough for that.

We also picked up Chris Harper yesterday, which is a killer pick up.
And I just wish that Pryor would come out and say something lol There are a millionreports out there that say one thing, and then somebody says something else to contradict it lol. And he could generate a buzz at Oregon if he played well, wesaw it with Dixon. Of course the press would be RIDING his junk if he signed with Michigan...and I mean RIDING.
laugh.gif

But most def I'm excited about Thomas and Harper. But again, Pryor would be a welcomed addition to Eugene.

Cats are smart to name Phillips future coach [table][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table]
Mike Slive's telephone no longer rings inside the Southeastern Conference commissioner's office when one of his 12 league schools names an African-American as a men's head basketball coach.

In basketball, that's just a simple sports story, not a sports culture story. Half the 12 schools in the SEC have hired black men's basketball coaches. It's a league where Tubby Smith, Nolan Richardson, Wade Houston and Rod Barnes have worked.

"It's not a story in basketball anymore," Slive said. "I look forward to the day when it's the same way in football. The real story will be if it's not a story the next time it happens in football, too."

Wonderful goal. The University of Kentucky helped bump the SEC and all of big-time college football closer to that day yesterday.

The guy who is going to follow Rich Brooks as UK's next football coach is the guy who has earned the opportunity to follow Brooks -- Joker Phillips.
A welcome decision

[table][tr][td][/td] [td][/td] [/tr][/table]It might be a year. It could be as many as four years, now that Brooks has earned a king-sized raise and a contract extension through the 2011 season.
But when Brooks retires, they won't have to change the locks in the UK football offices. Phillips will simply slide over from the job he has done so imaginatively and effectively as UK's offensive coordinator.

Maybe by the time it happens Phillips won't become only the second black head football coach in the SEC, following Sylvester Croom of Mississippi State, the league's 2007 Coach of the Year.

Maybe Phillips won't become only the seventh black head coach in a sport in which black players dominate at the 119 Bowl Subdivision schools.

Phillips was going to get his opportunity. I'm just pleased that UK President Lee Todd, athletic director Mitch Barnhart and Brooks understood that his opportunity deserved to come at the school that Phillips has served so well for so long, first as a player, then as a coach.
Phillips gets results
Remember that UK has not always had an offense capable of hanging 43 points on a Louisiana State defense that helped bring the Tigers the 2007 national title.

The Wildcats haven't always developed quarterbacks as poised as Andre' Woodson, receivers as dangerous as Keenan Burton and Steve Johnson or running backs as formidable as Rafael Little.

There were days early in the Brooks regime -- in 2004 -- when the Cats huffed and puffed to score a single field goal against Florida and a single touchdown against South Carolina and Mississippi State. The Cats were shut out by Louisville.

In 2005 it wasn't getting better. Only seven points in a loss to Mississippi and 14 against Indiana. The word wasn't that UK needed a new offensive coordinator. The word was that UK needed a new head coach.

Brooks acted. He took the playbook from Ron Hudson. He promoted Phillips and challenged him to design a thoroughly modern offense.

UK has not made a better move -- at least until yesterday. The Wildcats have been scoring the way that a team must score if it intends to play in bowl games and compete in the SEC.

UK started this season by scoring at least 40 points in its first five games. The Cats finished the season in the top 25 in the Bowl Subdivision in passing offense, total offense and scoring.

It's been the offense -- Joker Phillips' offense -- that has ignited this turnaround in UK's football program. His offense has been creative, entertaining, successful.

"Joker has been very instrumental in the success of Kentucky football for the last three years," Slive said. "He's earned this opportunity to be a head football coach in the Southeastern Conference."

This morning on UofM's rival site they said Pryor's list is UofM, osu, lsu, and oregon. Pryor was in AA last night along w/ some other recruits,unfortunately they all went to watch our sorry basketball team they should have went to watch our Hockey team at least theyre number one in the nation. I guessif anything if Pryor wants to play basketball too, watching our team he's prlly thinking if I come here I'm could be a football and basketball star.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
At Joker Phillips....That's a good look for y'all wildKYcat....

He seems real dedicated to the school, so thats all benefit for y'all....

Word is that Mark Richt has swiped John Lilly off of FSU's staff. Another top recruiter in Athens...
pimp.gif

after hours you seen this kid play he looks like he needs to add some weight from the pics i've seen. I'm dissappointed today though
when i heard that omar hunter committed to the gayturds. i think meyer is purposely targeting USC recruits just to hurt USC nationally.
I hope Perry commits but meyer is probably going to try and snake this guy away too.

dreClark wrote:
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

yeah, he loves it in Lexington. he did play at UK, not sure if you knew that. i'm just glad that the future is set, that should benefitrecruiting. with Rich Brooks being as old as he is, i would imagine dudes would have a hard time committing to UK not knowing who would be the HC during theirlatter years. probably similar to y'alls situation at FSU.

and from what i've read on catspause, the majority of the crazy cat fans seemed to be very pleased with the decision.

Any news on Brandon Harris? I have heard some people from S. Fla are not so confident that he will be a Cane but some still think he is a lock. Kid is a stud.

Nothing happening on Michigans front. The coaches are running around the country trying to get about 7 or 8 guys to fill out the class. Looks like the south isgetting hit hard. Nick Perry comes into AA this weekend. I am not really worried about him. I think he is going to be a Wolverine.

Originally Posted by DLo13

Word is that Mark Richt has swiped John Lilly off of FSU's staff. Another top recruiter in Athens...
pimp.gif

Yeah, Richt got him
Word is that the him being the 'Recruiting Coordinator' was killing his life and he had to make a decision. Not to mentionhe has no job security one Bowden is gone as Jimbo has no ties to him. I think it was the right decsion. Dudes on rivals were badmouthing him and @%+$, but Ithink he made the right decision....Plus he is good friends w/ Richt and Van Halanger. This means that y'all are definitely getting Dwyane Allen...He'sa beast at TE[size=-1]
[/size]
Originally Posted by wildKYcat

dreClark wrote:
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

yeah, he loves it in Lexington. he did play at UK, not sure if you knew that. i'm just glad that the future is set, that should benefit recruiting. with Rich Brooks being as old as he is, i would imagine dudes would have a hard time committing to UK not knowing who would be the HC during their latter years. probably similar to y'alls situation at FSU.

and from what i've read on catspause, the majority of the crazy cat fans seemed to be very pleased with the decision.

Yeah, I knew he played. And I agree with your thoughts on the recruiting scenario. Uncertainty at HC allow for negative recruting from other schools
And Goodfella and AfterH0urs....I never heard anything about Hunter going to USC....I always though it was between UGA and UF....

newbs i think your boy perry will sign with USC for the simple fact that rodriguez has never had a dominant defense and he
coaches the same way mike martz. they focus on offense and forget about defense. if you get him then i think he would be your biggest defensive get this year.

Originally Posted by Newbs24

Any news on Brandon Harris? I have heard some people from S. Fla are not so confident that he will be a Cane but some still think he is a lock. Kid is a stud.

Nothing happening on Michigans front. The coaches are running around the country trying to get about 7 or 8 guys to fill out the class. Looks like the south is getting hit hard. Nick Perry comes into AA this weekend. I am not really worried about him. I think he is going to be a Wolverine.

I wouldn't be so sure about Perry.

How's this for a story...

So, the Atlanta Falcons hired Mike Smith from Jacksonville to be their new Head Coach. Smith hires Brian VanGorder from South Carolina as his DefensiveCoordinator. (VanGorder was with Smith in JAX as a LB Coach before, served in that role under Petrino last year, then took the D-Coord job in Columbia just amonth ago.)

Spurrier turns around and hires Ellis Johnson away from Petrino at Arkansas, who Petrino took from Miss. State last month. Now Petrino has a void to fill dueto coaches mastering the cut-and-run tactic.

Take that Bobby...you rat bastard.

Back
Top Bottom