Real Deal College Football Discussion... no homers please

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Rumor has it there's a chance Major Applewhite will be a Longhorn again very soon... He's apparently been in Austin the last couple of days, and interviewed with Mack for an unknown position on the coaching staff... One would have to think he'd only go back to Austin for the same OC position he's got at Alabama, and Mack has been extremely loyal to Greg Davis over the years... Adding Muschamp and Applewhite to the staff would make for a very successful offseason for Mack...

Applewhite was offered the RB's coach....Don't make sense to go from OC to RB's coach....Maybe he just wants to go back to UT

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Applewhite in running for job on the Longhorns staff[/h1]
Associated Press

Updated: January 15, 2008, 6:42 PM ET

AUSTIN -- Former Texas quarterback Major Applewhite, the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Alabama, is in the running for a job on the Longhorns staff.

Texas, which needs a running backs coach, cannot announce a hire until Wednesday night at the earliest because of job posting rules, school officials said.

Applewhite is one of several being considered for the job by Longhorns coach Mack Brown. The Austin American-Statesman reported Applewhite was on the Texas campus Tuesday to interview for the job, but a school official said Brown was out of town recruiting during the day.

Brown has already done some shuffling on his staff, hiring defensive coordinator Will Muschamp from Auburn and moving former coordinator Duane Akina back to his role as secondary coach.

The current vacancy was created when assistant coach Ken Rucker moved to the athletic department. Greg Davis, Brown's longtime offensive coordinator, remains in his job.

Applewhite, 29, has been a rising star in assistant coaching circles for several years, moving from a graduate assistant at Texas to the full-time staff at Syracuse and Rice and then to the Crimson Tide within the last four years.

Applewhite was the starting quarterback for Texas during most of 1998 and 1999, then split duty with Chris Simms in 2000 before being relegated to a backup role in 2001. He still holds a handful of Texas passing records, including career yards with 8,353.

laugh.gif
he accepted the RBs coach position. DA HELL!?

Mack musta promised to make up for benchin him for Simms
smh.gif
how do u go from OC to RB coach, voluntarily?

laugh.gif
Major Applewhite is a Longhorn, through and through. He's a nice addition to the coaching staff, regardless of what position he took. Greg Davis willbe looking over his shoulder all year long.

So he accepted the job????

You think he's gonna be groomed for the HC job in the future????

-sidenote-

You know your getting old....When people you remeber vividly playing on ESPN, have been coaching at 3 different schools...
laugh.gif
smh.gif

I am wondering what Star Jackson will DO, not what he SAYS. I would love to see him at Michigan if we don't get Pryor.

Originally Posted by dreClark

So he accepted the job????

You think he's gonna be groomed for the HC job in the future????

-sidenote-

You know your getting old....When people you remeber vividly playing on ESPN, have been coaching at 3 different schools...
laugh.gif
smh.gif
I've heard he accepted the RB job, but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere yet...

It usually wouldn't make sense to go from the OC of Alabama to the RB coach at Texas, but this is Nick Saban we're dealing with. Everyone knowshe's an $!%!@*# and a pain to work with. Maybe Major just wasn't happy working with him... Either that, or Mack Brown told him he'll be the OCbefore long...

We had a coach offered a position by Saban last year and a large pay raise, but he declined. Looks like Saban is going after him again...seems like mostcoaches can't put up with him though.

I just don't get how Pryor would not choose Michigan, with the offense RR runs. I mean he comes there he's gonna be the big man on campus from day 1.

Because he still has to visit Oregon on Feb 2-3
pimp.gif

Pryor has now put LSU On his list. and nice job pryor getting a free bball game out of pitt
laugh.gif
thats how you play your cards in recruiting

laugh.gif
I swear I hate going on Volunteer fan boards.

These dudes are arguing that Arian Foster is a 1st round draft pick in 2009.

C'mon now ... If Foster had any legit speed , he woulda racked up 1700 yards rushing. Foster is a good all around back but a 1st rounder...
smh.gif

Pryor has now put LSU On his list. and nice job pryor getting a free bball game out of pitt
laugh.gif
thats how you play your cards in recruiting
I read somewhere something along the lines of this: LSU's OC is Gary Crowton, who was an OC at Oregon last year. Crowton didn't do wonderswith Dennis Dixon and his development. I think somebody wrote it in a blog somewhere but I can't remember.

I also read somewhere that Tressell was saying he would revamp the offense to fit Pryor's skills? Basically It's a three-way with OSU, Michigan, andOregon. Maybe LSU gets in it, but at the moment that's what I'm seeing. Pryor has two visits left: Michigan and Oregon, so we'll see what happens.

I also read somewhere that Tressell was saying he would revamp the offense to fit Pryor's skills? Basically It's a three-way with OSU, Michigan, and Oregon. Maybe LSU gets in it, but at the moment that's what I'm seeing. Pryor has two visits left: Michigan and Oregon, so we'll see what happens.
I'm pretty sure it's mainly just UofM and osu.

[h1]Vols' Morley reinstated after being dismissed for academic woes[/h1]
Associated Press

Updated: January 18, 2008, 7:47 PM ET

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Demetrice Morley has been reinstated to play for Tennessee, a year after the safety was dismissed because of academic problems.

"I bleed orange," he said during his first appearance with teammates on Friday. "I'm a Vol. I want to finish a Vol."

Morley, who will re-enter Tennessee as a junior, has spent the past year working on his grades at nearby Pellissippi State Technical Community College.

With cornerbacks Jonathan Wade and Antwan Stewart graduating, Morley and free safety Jonathan Hefney were expected to anchor the secondary in 2007. Morley had started 10 games at strong safety, recording 51 tackles, two interceptions and a fumble recovery in 2006.

Morley's departure and injuries to cornerbacks Antonio Gaines and Marsalous Johnson caused the Vols to struggle stopping the pass last season, especially early on.

"The criticism was bad, but we took it as a good thing," said freshman Eric Berry, who filled in at Morley's strong safety spot and went on to All-SEC honors. "We did need to get better, and we came together."

Freshman Brent Vinson and sophomore DeAngelo Willingham took over at cornerback with some help from young reserves Ricardo Kemp, Dennis Rogan and Antonio Wardlow.

With Morley back, the secondary should be one of the Vols' strengths in 2008, even with Hefney leaving.

"We can be as good as we want to be," Morley said. "We're going to come out there and we're going to work hard, on and off the field. We're going to give it our all, that's what kind of team we are."

Also, Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer completed his staff by hiring New York Jets assistant Jason Michael as tight ends coach. The 29-year-old from Louisa, Ky., is a former Tennessee graduate assistant and has spent three years working in the NFL.

Michael's hiring completes a Tennessee offensive staff overhaul that began when offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe announced in December he was leaving the Vols to coach Duke.

Fulmer has since hired Richmond coach Dave Clawson as offensive coordinator, Richmond assistant Latrell Scott as wide receivers coach and Florida assistant Stan Drayton as running backs coach.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
pimp.gif

D.Mo & E.B playin safety next yr
eek.gif
..... Ahhhhh
smokin.gif

I see where Kentucky has anointed Joker Phillips as their next HC after Brooks retires. Good for them.

Shrine Game is tomorrow. Rosters here: http://www.shrinegame.com/rosters.php

Only a few names worth looking out for...but this is where some of those late round dudes can boost their draft stock.

why do schools feel the need to name the HC of the future? you have no idea who is going to be out there once that coach leaves

Kentucky just got MAJOR PROPS from me. a young Black head coach being groomed to take over a traditionally "southern" school. Nice Job.

jwadeox0.jpg

ahhh countdown to the NFL Draft.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

When is the Senior Bowl and when do workouts and pro-days start?

It's from January 21 - 26 on the NFL Network

2008 Under Armour Senior Bowl on NFL Network

Monday, Jan. 21
4:00 ET - Day 1: North Team Practice (HD)
8:00 ET - Day 1: Path to the Draft Senior Bowl Recap Show (HD)

Tuesday, Jan. 22
10:30 ET - Day 2: North Team Practice (HD)
4:30 ET ­- Day 2: South Team Practice (HD)
8:00 ET - Day 2: Path to the Draft Senior Bowl Recap Show (HD)

Wednesday, Jan. 23
10:30 ET - Day 3: North Team Practice (HD)
4:30 ET ­- Day 3: South Team Practice (HD)
8:00 ET - Day 3: Path to the Draft Senior Bowl Recap Show (HD)

Thursday, Jan. 24
10:30 ET - Day 4: North Team Practice (HD)
4:30 ET ­- Day 4: South Team Practice (HD)
8:00 ET - Day 4: Path to the Draft Senior Bowl Recap Show (HD)

Saturday, Jan. 25
3:30 ET - NFL Total Access Senior Bowl Pregame Show (HD)
4:00 ET - 2008 Under Armour Senior Bowl (HD)
7:00 ET - NFL Total Access Senior Bowl Postgame Show (HD)

NFL Network. Football 24/7.

dexter Jackson App St
smokin.gif

Corey Boyd
Ben Jarvis ellis
Paul Smith
jonathan Hefney
Jaimie Silva
Jonathan Goff
Justin Harper
gary barnidge

West
Marco Thomas ( damn I remember when he 1st got to UTEP and he was taken PT away from Tyler Ebell, I thought dude was gonna be SICK )
Todd blythe
Sam keller
Anthony Aldridge
Spencer Lawson
pimp.gif

jason Rivers
marcus Henry
Chase Ortiz
Tommy Blake
frown.gif
smh.gif
sick.gif
(this guy snapped and lost his desire)
frank Okam

pimp.gif
Looks like a very entertaining game.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Kentucky just got MAJOR PROPS from me. a young Black head coach being groomed to take over a traditionally "southern" school. Nice Job.

thanks. i made that decision a while back, but i guess Mitch Barnhart finally read my email.

i think that will make us the second SEC school to have had a black head basketball coach and black football coach.

thing is, Rich Brooks said he wanted to be Kentucky's longest tenured coach ever, which would mean 5 more years but he's only under contract thru 2011so we'll see what happens.

Joker's my boy's uncle...maybe i can get an "upgrade" to my season tickets.

JP got real emotional
frown.gif
during his presser, the vids on the right ofthis page here: http://www.ukathletics.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=39&url_article_id=21368&change_well_id=2

Back
Top Bottom