Recommend a good lock for my bicycle PLEASE!!!

I hope this is in the right area...

I need to purchase a lock for my bike and I would like to know if any of you have personal knowledge on the subject. I want to start riding my mtn bike tovarious places and want for it to be there when I get back.

Please leave any info about good locks and also tell me if there are locks out there that are terrible and I should stay away from. Also, I have a tool pouchunder my seat, so I don't want to try and wrap it around my seat post. I could sling one across me, though.

Any info?

Thanks in advance to those who help me out!!!

Speaking of, If I catch any of you suckas in Austin with my bike, I will run you over.

Sincerely from a previous bike owner who current got his bicycle jacked from the the front of his own apartment,

-Drunken Cow

Thanks!

Anybody else have suggestions? Should I get a U lock or are there cable type locks that are superior?

1729855PART.jpg

this is what you want to use.

those U locks are easily broken

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

1729855PART.jpg

isn't that just a mini version of a u lock though?

check it..you can disassemble your handle bar with your cool tool pouch placed under your seat. carry along the handle bar in your fanny pack. and strap thebike down with at least 3 different locks

lol that lock Dirty posted is legit.

I think it's hilarious when people be riding around with those giant U-locks that weigh 10 lbs. lol i also love it when they put the locks in theirbackpacks when they're riding.

I use a key kryptonite lock that is a $10 dollar from wal-mart. $10-25
They have a decent variety of kryptonite locks far sale that are less expensive than the ones in the mom and pop's bike stores.

the one that dirty posted is definitely the best one u can get. but it's pretty pricey . . . around 75 give or take depending on where youre looking. Irecently bought a kryptonite mini u lock for the back tire, and also use a secondary cable lock for my front, recommended by none other than sheldon brown,rip.

Originally Posted by 1 of 1

the one that dirty posted is definitely the best one u can get. but it's pretty pricey . . . around 75 give or take depending on where youre looking. I recently bought a kryptonite mini u lock for the back tire, and also use a secondary cable lock for my front, recommended by none other than sheldon brown, rip.
I'll gladly spend $75 to save $800.

If you have a nice bike, you shouldn't lock it anywhere unless you are in a safe area. I'd only ride a bike around the city and lock it outside ifit's <$500 or so.

And RIP to Sheldon Brown and his crazy helmet.

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

If you have a nice bike, you shouldn't lock it anywhere unless you are in a safe area. I'd only ride a bike around the city and lock it outside if it's <$500 or so.

And RIP to Sheldon Brown and his crazy helmet.

I just want to ride it to campus now and then. I see pretty nice stuff locked up there, so I am pretty confident it is safe. However, I want to have tobest lock possible so the thieves steal the one that is easier to get than mine.
wink.gif

Check the guarantee on those locks cause some of them insure your bike if it gets stolen. Make sure that whenever you lock up your bike you lock the frame andthe back tire and take the front tire with you.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

1729855PART.jpg

�hmm...I have no clue what is a good lock anymore....especially when it comes down to this:

i always thought the U one was the best. that chain lock looks like it can be cut so easily.

Originally Posted by Bo55Diesel

^WOW!

I guess I need something with a flat key and not one of the round ones?

yes...those round keys are bunk.
My chain has this lock:
NONAME29.jpg

regarding cutting the chain... ANY chain can be cut....but the thing is... no thief wants to spend minutes sawing through.... 10-15 seconds with a boltcutter...and they're off. The chain on the New York lock is hard and solid enough that a their will move on b/c it'll take too long to cutthrough....TIME is the enemy of a thief

btw...I believe kryptonite has stopped using those round keys on all their locks.

Back
Top Bottom