Recommend me a DOG!

Are you really suggesting a grown man get a pocket puppy?! The $#@@ is the matter with you?

Ive only owned 1 dog and hes been absolutely great. He's a 3 year old West Highland Terrier (Westie) and like most terriers he's stubborn at times. But he always wants to please you and he's by your side because he understands youre the master. Hes no +@++! dog either, he'll wrestle with bigger dogs if he feels threatened.

P.S. you'll get attention but the good kind.

Found a few pics of Barky Bob..Here ya go..
This is him at about 2 months old..

Another at about 2 months..

This is him currently at about 1 2/3 yr. old and how we keep him normally grooomed even in winter..

Originally Posted by SinnerP

I don't know anything about dogs, but I like Boo.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

lhasa apso
pimp.gif

I have one. Hes a great dog, very very friendly, very good and obedient. relatively small, but not too small, doesnt shed, pretty easy to groom

Thats my dog Tommy

Idk if theyre "manly" enough for you OP

^^My aunt and uncle have 2 of those dogs and they love em..From what I've seen when I've been around them they are a very good breed of dog..A little on the noisy side IMO, but well behaved and friendly..Cute dog SpeakUp

When I have the means again, I am getting a Beagle again. The only thing that might not work for you having this dog is it howls a lot.

Beagle-puppies-3.jpg

I love these damn things.

Barky Bob is a pretty damn cute lookin dog.  very nice.

I will do my obligatory "enter own dogs breed" > all.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but dont count out all larger breed dogs as they do not all require a ton of exercise.

I live in a condo myself, and I have a larger breed dog but she does not require a ton of exercise.  I have an Olde English Bulldogge (not to be confused with an English Bulldog).  A lot of people dont know the breed and she gets confused for a lot of different breeds from Boxer to Pit to American Bulldog mix, etc... etc...  OEB's full size can be anywhere from around 60-100lbs.  My girl is about 55lbs right now at 14 months old.  Obviously training and early socialization has a lot to do with it, but as a breed they are VERY friendly with both people and dogs.  I have a couple of friends with babies (6-18 months old) who are very comfortable having their infants around my dog, and my dog will even play safely with the older babies.

I dont know if its breed specific or if its just my dogs nature, but she never barks, and hardly ever growls.  Outside from the first week or two after I brought her home, I've probably heard her full on bark maybe 3-4 times in the last year.  Usually she will only bark if she gets freaked out.

OEB's, due to their facial structure and long jowls will drip water/slobber a bit, but not as much as regular English Bulldogs (atleast in my experience).  They have a slimmer more athletic build to them than regular bulldogs, so they are not as prone to some of the common health problems that plague bulldogs (poor breathing, hip dysplacia, etc...).  In fact, that is the main reason why I went with an OEB instead of a English Bulldog.  Even though they are capable of being more active and athletic than an English Bulldog, they dont necesarily require a ton of exercise.  I walk my dog for about 20-45 minutes once a day (I really should walk her twice, but my schedule makes it tough), and will usually take her to the park on the weekends to blow off some steam, but thats about it.

Extra bonus, they are absolute stunners.  Even though most of my neighbors and people in my community know my dog because she has a somewhat unique look and markings about her, I still get stopped daily.  I cant tell you how many times I've been approached by women who want to say hello to my pup (if only I wasnt married).

Here are some older pics of my pup.  She still kinda looks the same (still has a puppy look about her) but is just bigger.

not to thread jack, but anyone know of any good reads on how to raise a puppy? im looking to get a yellow lab thats a little over a month old and just wanted the most info i could get before i make that decision because i know it isnt easy raising a puppy

Originally Posted by do work son

not to thread jack, but anyone know of any good reads on how to raise a puppy? im looking to get a yellow lab thats a little over a month old and just wanted the most info i could get before i make that decision because i know it isnt easy raising a puppy
prepare to operate with little to no sleep for the first couple of weeks.

there is a ton of info online if you do a bit of searching.  that being said, dont get caught up in it all (like i did).  looking back on it, its not that difficult to raise a puppy.  all it takes is time, dedication, and a ton of patience.  try to enjoy the time with your pup and dont get too caught up with being worried about if you are doing it right.

not sure if beagles would fit you Op, they shed ALOT... and you gotta take them on walks or they gain weight pretty fast.

To the poster with Barky Bob. Are Poms expensive to care for? Thinking of getting one for my little sis.. housewarming gift.

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Breed standards for males are about 35-45 lbs with females being a bit lighter. Mine is definitely on the bigger side for the breed at about 48 lbs. but the majority that I've seen have been around the 40ish lb. mark. For the most part they are very well mannered and very sociable. Though I live in a house with a huge backyard, my dog stays inside for the VAST majority of the day. When inside, he doesn't run around at all. I do make it a point though to take him out and throw the ball around or go for a run so he could expend his energy. I've had a good amount of the smaller breed dogs too such as a chihuahua, miniature pinscher, schnauzer, and an english bulldog so I've had a good amount to compare him to and I can easily say the "staffie" is the best dog I've ever had. Hardly ever barks, very low maintenance, and gets along with anything and everything.

Here's mine.....

With my bulldog. She slobbers and sheds like no other haha.

Oh and you may get a hard time from people thinking they are pitbulls. They do look very similar so expect people crossing your path when you're walking/running to go out of their way to avoid you or pick up their kids and shield them. Happens to me all the time. Other owners are pulling their dogs off the path when I come through as their dog is barking up a storm and mine is just looking to play. It gets to me but at the same time you can never be too cautious. I've never seen my dog bark at another even when he's getting an earful from them. And I can't tell you how many times he has been snapped at by the smaller breeds when we're out or at the pet store. Of course, those are more specific incidents and not my generalization of the "smaller breeds."

Mojomonky-Thanks for the love..Your dog is definately a looker too..very nice!.

Phen0m-Barky Bob is no more expensive to take care of than any other dog..I spend about $6 a month on food(I get Purina that is tiny bits for small breeds), about $35 every 1 1/2-2 months for him to get bathed/nails clipped/hair cut, and I buy him a new bone to chew each month whether he needs one or not for about $5..So I'd say my average monthly costs w/o vet visits is less than 15 bucks..But keep in mind that we shave our dog and don't let his hair get like a cotton ball like 90% of Pom owners..BTW, I've never had to take him to the vet for any none check up/shots concerns..Hope that helped..

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

dont bulldogs shed like crazy?
my dog sheds quite a bit.  I brush her once a week, but should brush her more often (but no time, and im lazy).  I have to wash/vacuum all my couch blankets and pillow/chairs atleast once a week cause of the dog hair.  i think if i had the time to brush her daily it wouldnt be as much of an issue as most of the loose hair would come out then instead of on all my furniture or the ground.

Originally Posted by capuT

not sure if beagles would fit you Op, they shed ALOT... and you gotta take them on walks or they gain weight pretty fast.

Very true. You'd think they won't too cause they are short haired but those guys just dump hair like no other. And yes, you have to walk them. I feel bad for my Beagle that I had as a kid cause it was huge cause no one took responiblility in taking care of him.

My brother has some border terriers and they don't shed as much and don't bark unless they feel defensive. Good dogs though and a good size for a condo as well.

Border_Terrier-dogbreed.jpg

laugh.gif
that looks like a pit to me.... whats the difference between that and a pit... dont they all come from the fighting breed?

374202_10150585298804606_613904605_11645151_1752062960_n.jpg

Pembroke Welsh Corgi. Just copped 2 days ago. It's a handful, but very sociable with people and other dogs.

Back
Top Bottom