Rent and good credit?

Has any had experience or know someone who planned to move out and they got a cut in their rent due to their good credit? Can you negotiate with realtors to drop down the price in rent? Thanks

You can negotiate with regular owners. Not with managed properties (more often than not).

As for the question, never heard of anyone getting a cut because of good credit. The only time where credit even comes into play is during the application process for approval.

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

You can negotiate with regular owners. Not with managed properties (more often than not).

As for the question, never heard of anyone getting a cut because of good credit. The only time where credit even comes into play is during the application process for approval.
QFT

Privately owned property owners generally don't hold credit in a high regard as management companies. They will take the full picture into consideration so write a personal letter to them explaining your situation. If you have some dings, explain why.

If you want to go through a realtor, you'll generally pay around the asking price depending on the strength of the market since they only act at the middle man in the transaction. It's a good way to go though if you're busy and want to live in a condo/single family home instead of an apartment though.

good info...

which one is better to go thru...

a realtor or company?

i got my apt now, paying $600 for a 2 bedroom, and i love it... deposit was higher than rooftops.

its in a small town though (30,000 people) ... i just strolled into a century 21 and asked what kind of apartments openings he had...

might not work the same in a city w/ 4 million people.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

QFT

Privately owned property owners generally don't hold credit in a high regard as management companies. They will take the full picture into consideration so write a personal letter to them explaining your situation. If you have some dings, explain why.

If you want to go through a realtor, you'll generally pay around the asking price depending on the strength of the market since they only act at the middle man in the transaction. It's a good way to go though if you're busy and want to live in a condo/single family home instead of an apartment though.
This sums it up.  Rent is rent. Credit is credit.  
Poor credit won't get you approved.  You could say that good credit is a given in many scenarios.

Originally Posted by ricky409

good info...

a realtor or company?

i got my apt now, paying $600 for a 2 bedroom, and i love it... deposit was higher than rooftops.

its in a small town though (30,000 people) ... i just strolled into a century 21 and asked what kind of apartments openings he had...

might not work the same in a city w/ 4 million people.
As with anything, it 'pays' to do your research.  Always do your own work first to gauge pricing and what not.  If you don't, you'll always be eaten alive.
A realtor is part of a company. lol  But I get what you're trying to say.

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

QFT

Poor credit won't get you approved.  You could say that good credit is a given in many scenarios.

Poor credit won't get you approved for a managed property.
However, as crcballer55 mentioned, owners don't care that much. They might ask for an explanation, or in most cases, ask for a higher security deposit (2 or 3x a month's rent).

I had my first crib at 18, with NO credit...I handed my landlord 2k (not even for a deposit...just a bribe basically) and he acted like he didn't know what a credit report was. 

a realtor or company?

I'm assuming you mean private owner vs. management company.
IMO, I'd rather deal with private owners. Communication is must easier/smoother, at least in my experiences.

QFT

Poor credit won't get you approved for a managed property.
However, as crcballer55 mentioned, owners don't care that much. They might ask for an explanation, or in most cases, ask for a higher security deposit (2 or 3x a month's rent).

I had my first crib at 18, with NO credit...I handed my landlord 2k (not even for a deposit...just a bribe basically) and he acted like he didn't know what a credit report was. 

a realtor or company?
I'm assuming you mean private owner vs. management company.
IMO, I'd rather deal with private owners. Communication is must easier/smoother, at least in my experiences.

Yeah but most private owners are going to Realty's to get their apartment rented and it's easier for them because they won't have to do the leg work.

Since the economy is so bad and there are a ton of bad renters out there most people don't want to take a chance and rent to someone that will stop paying rent or turn the apartment into so party/trap/smoke house.

I agree it is better to go through with a private owner, but when you look on sites like craigslist for apartments by owner they're are a lot of realtors posting in that section that charges a month fee (which is BS) and also because that section is free and they won't have to pay the fee from craigslist to post in the proper section.

Ive had reduced rent for being a student. Mention that youre in school, work, seem responsible and if youre dealing with a private owner, you might get a reduced rate.

As with anything, it 'pays' to do your research.  Always do your own work first to gauge pricing and what not.  If you don't, you'll always be eaten alive.

smh @ myself...
51.gif

It's definitely possible .. I see it happen all the time. Property owners favor people with good credit. I'm not saying all but there are plenty that would be willing to drop the rent a little if they get people with good credit.

smh @ myself...
51.gif

You are silly.  Silly does what silly thinks. 

Unless you're a top shot broker who has his or her own brokerage, most of the portrait pictures you see of 'REALTORS' are nothing more than agents.  And YES, these agents are affiliated w/ these 'companies'.

Comprehension is what comprehension is.  Obviously the 'main idea here' was about average joes looking in the paper/craiglist as oppossed to going into a 'company', say prudential for listings.  Even more so, the obvious is what obvious says.  The reason why TENANTS cut around companies, is because they don't want checks to be ran on them. 

As a landlord, I'd definitely want to do my homework on the tenant, to ensure TIMELY CASHFLOWS.  I don't want a dead beat person, w/ no history, no work, and full of liabilities.

THINK ABOUT IT.  

^^^

Whoa dere famb... I was agreeing with you.

I'm going to Dallas tomorrow and scope some apts .. I have all day, and looked up about 15 spots...

Then, I'm going to hit a couple realtors and see if I can get lucky like I did with my current apt.

smh @ myself...
51.gif

You are silly.  Silly does what silly thinks. 

Unless you're a top shot broker who has his or her own brokerage, most of the portrait pictures you see of 'REALTORS' are nothing more than agents.  And YES, these agents are affiliated w/ these 'companies'.

Comprehension is what comprehension is.  Obviously the 'main idea here' was about average joes looking in the paper/craiglist as oppossed to going into a 'company', say prudential for listings.  Even more so, the obvious is what obvious says.  The reason why TENANTS cut around companies, is because they don't want checks to be ran on them. 

As a landlord, I'd definitely want to do my homework on the tenant, to ensure TIMELY CASHFLOWS.  I don't want a dead beat person, w/ no history, no work, and full of liabilities.

THINK ABOUT IT.  

Most rental postings on CL are scams, or at the very least overhyped. We see it all day every day.

If a property owner decides to have a realtor solicit their home, typically the realtor will run a credit report on the perspective tenant to make sure they measure up. The landlord isn't paying them 3% of the first year's rent just to find a tenant. There is some due diligence that goes with it too.

Since tenants typically turn over every 1-2 years the agent is hoping the person will use their services again so there is some incentive for the agent to help find a qualified tenant in there as well.

streethoopkilla - Once again, the decrease in rent all depends on the strength of the market. If there are a lot of tenants lined up behind you your chances of decreasing your rent no matter your background are pretty slim.

Back
Top Bottom