School me on therapy

So I spoke to a professor like a year ago, and told him about my social anxiety and other "issues", and he pretty much told me he used to be like me but he went to therapy and things turned out well for him.

My insurance is adequate; I've been meaning to do this for a minute but I've been

1. Apprehensive about the process

2. Iffy on the stigma that comes with going to therapy. I'm not one of those "therapy= crazy" morons but I don't want to go into it if there's not really anything legitimately wrong

3. I have no idea where to start as far as looking for a therapist. I don't have any family or friends who go to therapy, so they have no idea about the process, which is why I'm on an anonymous message board. Lol.

I figure I should give it a shot because I'm close to graduating, school is getting really tough now, and I'm quitting my job to focus on school for the fall semester anyway and I want to do something productive with the free time.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated

Last edited:
my doctors kinda sorta forced me to go to therapy. there wasn't anything really wrong with me from my end. they just thought I needed to talk to someone about what I was going through that past year. it's always worth a shot.

don't have much to offer, but it's always worth a try.. you can't knock something until you try it, hopefully it end up helping. good luck man.

don't have much to offer, but it's always worth a try.. you can't knock something until you try it, hopefully it end up helping. good luck man.
What do you lose by giving it a try?
Thanks... I really plan on giving it a shot since my professor kind of sold me on it

my doctors kinda sorta forced me to go to therapy. there wasn't anything really wrong with me from my end. they just thought I needed to talk to someone about what I was going through that past year. it's always worth a shot.
Would you mind going it some more detail about the experience? Not whatever it is you went through, just what it's like to actually go to a therapist. And whether or not it helped

it was pretty helpful for me. it was good to talk to someone else besides family about my problems. basically all I did was sit on a couch and talk about things. it was pretty chill. most likely the therapist will ask if you wanna try a low dose antidepressant. it doesn't hurt to try some. you can always stop them if you feel like you don't really need them. 

ive been contemplating on seeing a therapist as well, i feel that there are things you cant handle on your own and they are able to make you see things from a different point of view which could be really helpful, but i also feel like there are things that I have to work out alone and its hard to draw the line between the two

ive been contemplating on seeing a therapist as well, i feel that there are things you cant handle on your own and they are able to make you see things from a different point of view which could be really helpful, but i also feel like there are things that I have to work out alone and its hard to draw the line between the two
its always worth a try. i was feeling like things with blow over, but I just saw screw it and saw one. dont regret it. actually helped me sorta. you never know your therapist can help you tackle down  both things. 

I did it back when I was like 13.
It's great. It's like having a best friend you can share secrets with that won't tell ANYBODY (as long as you not trying to hurt nobody). At times it's exactly what you need. To vent, to be heard. At some point I got so confident in the decisions I made that I didn't need to go anymore. Now I'm 25 and I just vent on Niketalk lol

Check your school and see if they offer some sort of free therapy. Mine did. I think i went to 4 sessions with a therapist in college. It's nice to just talk and let everything out to someone. I was in a funk for about 3 years before i decided to see and talk to someone. After the sessions, i felt sort of relieved and got to understand about taking care of myself first and foremost. Hope all goes well for you op.

Just make sure that if you're going to do it you find a therapist that you vibe with. There is no shame in going in for one or two sessions and telling the person you're seeing that they're not working out for you. It's worthless to go if you don't feel comfortable with the person you're talking to.

I feel like everyone should go to therapy whether or not they even have a "problem" that needs addressing.  Always good to get some insight on your own issues from a non-biased third party.

Last edited:
You're experience will be largely dependent on the quality of the provider in my opinion.

First time was through insurance with an older guy who I felt like I was reminding who I was every time I went.

Just recently started going to a woman at a private practice. She has ridiculous credentials, accompanied by an outrageous out of pocket rate, but the whole experience was different. I think the quality of the provider plays a huge role.

if you're considering it, just do it. Like others said above, you have nothing to lose other than a few hours.

Check your school and see if they offer some sort of free therapy. Mine did. I think i went to 4 sessions with a therapist in college. It's nice to just talk and let everything out to someone. I was in a funk for about 3 years before i decided to see and talk to someone. After the sessions, i felt sort of relieved and got to understand about taking care of myself first and foremost. Hope all goes well for you op.
My school has a therapist; but honestly I'd rather find a provider on my own and go to them instead of using the school therapist--even though I'm technically paying for them anyway
laugh.gif

The thing is my school is far as **** and if there are other, possibly better folks nearby, why not?
OP what exactly is wrong with you? (Not saying that in a rude way btw). What issues do you have?
I guess what's "wrong" with me is what tends to be "wrong" with everyone else; I've been in this funk lately, I've been super unmotivated, and as a bit of an added bonus I've struggled with social anxiety for quite some time. I've been working on that last bit and it's been getting better bit by bit, but I'd still like a professional opinion.
Just make sure that if you're going to do it you find a therapist that you vibe with. There is no shame in going in for one or two sessions and telling the person you're seeing that they're not working out for you. It's worthless to go if you don't feel comfortable with the person you're talking to.
Yeah, I feel you. And IDK what bearing this will have on the actual experience, but honestly I'd rather have a male therapist than female, etc
You're experience will be largely dependent on the quality of the provider in my opinion.

First time was through insurance with an older guy who I felt like I was reminding who I was every time I went.

Just recently started going to a woman at a private practice. She has ridiculous credentials, accompanied by an outrageous out of pocket rate, but the whole experience was different. I think the quality of the provider plays a huge role.

if you're considering it, just do it. Like others said above, you have nothing to lose other than a few hours.
How would you usually determine the "quality" of the provider?

I'd check for ones associated with whatever notable hospitals are nearby. Research online. If possible ask someone for a recommendation. Consider their age / gender / and actual credentials and qualifications.

My school has a therapist; but honestly I'd rather find a provider on my own and go to them instead of using the school therapist--even though I'm technically paying for them anyway :lol:

The thing is my school is far as **** and if there are other, possibly better folks nearby, why not?

I guess what's "wrong" with me is what tends to be "wrong" with everyone else; I've been in this funk lately, I've been super unmotivated, and as a bit of an added bonus I've struggled with social anxiety for quite some time. I've been working on that last bit and it's been getting better bit by bit, but I'd still like a professional opinion.

Yeah, I feel you. And IDK what bearing this will have on the actual experience, but honestly I'd rather have a male therapist than female, etc

By weighing how comfortable you are with them, and whether or not your time with them is helping. Its very important that you're comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom