September Wrestling Thread 2021

I don't think the issue is HAVING weight classes.

I think the issue is pro wrestling companies in America generally holding down Lower Weight Divisions (Titles) and not treating them with proper respects.

MMA and Boxing allow lower weight classes to headline MAJOR Events so it is possible to promote lower weight classes in a legitimate manner without making them feel second rate.

Also, see how the IWGP IC Title was presented when Nakamura was the champ. It headlined their biggest show of the year.

A secondary title doesn't HAVE to be a death sentence or a joke.

AEW is doing that with the TNT title

It's still crazy to me how prestigious the Intercontinental title used to be. I have no idea when or why they "downgraded" it, but you're absolutely right that it doesn't have to be a joke and there's precedent for that.
Yep. It was special man. It was the cool belt that allowed us to get away from Dumb Hulk Hogan matches.

Imagine during the WCW days, instead of holding back Rey/Jericho/Benoit/Malenko/Guerrero, etc they used those dudes as Main Eventers WHILE in the cruiserweight division.

They didn't have to be World Champs or even compete for World Champs if the Cruiserweight Division wasn't treated like an "OPening Match Belt."

AEW is doing that with the TNT title
Yep. Respect tp them.

That's how it SHOULD be done.

It should be possible for your company to Headline a Semi-Major event without your World Championship being on the line.

But when your company (Dumb WWE) essentially tells the fans "205 Live is the show for jobbers" of COURSE people will view them as such.

It's still crazy to me how prestigious the Intercontinental title used to be. I have no idea when or why they "downgraded" it, but you're absolutely right that it doesn't have to be a joke and there's precedent for that.
Has Apollo even defended the title at all?

It should be the 2nd most important belt in the company but they like having a dumb universal belt.

If Flair shows up on AEW, i would like to see him do something with Ricky Starks or MJF.

Yep. It was special man. It was the cool belt that allowed us to get away from Dumb Hulk Hogan matches.

Imagine during the WCW days, instead of holding back Rey/Jericho/Benoit/Malenko/Guerrero, etc they used those dudes as Main Eventers WHILE in the cruiserweight division.

They didn't have to be World Champs or even compete for World Champs if the Cruiserweight Division wasn't treated like an "OPening Match Belt."
Has Apollo even defended the title at all?
It should be the 2nd most important belt in the company but they like having a dumb universal belt.

Mamba, I'm not sure but I don't think so.

As an example of how important that belt used to be, I can think of 2 specific feuds that were HUGE deals. Just look at Steamboat/Savage and Rock/Austin. About 10 years apart, but they absolutely acted like that belt was the most important thing in the world and the fans ate it up.

Would like them to unify the world, tag, women's and women's tag belts.

Make them feel more important.

B Sox B Sox

If I were AEW, I would use Flair in an attempt to pull in displaced/older fans to at least SAMPLE AEW.

Whether or not they stick around will be a different conversation.

But if Tony Khan is paying, take his money.

Would like them to unify the world, tag, women's and women's tag belts.

Make them feel more important.

Ideal but the more belts they have, the more merches they can sell.

I somewhat follow this as I have always wanted ONE "Main Title"

My personal breakdown

World: Both Shows
US: One Show
IC: The Other Show
Womens: Both Shows
Tags: Both Shows
Cruiserweight: Title matches on either show; Give importance to the division and elevate the title to mean something

That Unviersal Belt is still a joke IMO. (Name Wise)

There’s no excuse for that lol. Company makes billions of dollars you’re telling me they can’t have someone who keeps up with this? It’s embarrassing that they continue to do that.

Guy in wwe talent relations dept.: “which brand is Neville on again? 🤔

B Sox B Sox

If I were AEW, I would use Flair in an attempt to pull in displaced/older fans to at least SAMPLE AEW.

Whether or not they stick around will be a different conversation.

But if Tony Khan is paying, take his money.
Lol I'm certainly not telling him to not take the money :lol:

Do we really think 72 year old Rick is bringing in those displaced fans though? I'm a bit skeptical.

Gonna confront schiavone for being close with dr. britt.
tony was there when he wasnt
1627923683071.gif

Weight limits on titles is a no go.

Putting limits on wrestlers careers no matter how good or popular they are with the fans is a bad idea.

Imagine keeping someone like Rey Mysterio strictly in a smaller division.

Name 3 other guys in the past 30 yrs under 200 lbs that were given a WHC run?..

Where are you getting Legit 6'2 from? He isn't listed as that anywhere from what I've seen.

Sarcasm bruh. Sarcasm..

If Flair shows up on AEW, i would like to see him do something with Ricky Starks or MJF.
nah flair needs to stay off tv

but you knowaew is gonna have him on there just for the pure fact that wcw use to be on tnt.

i just hope he goes away and takes sting and arn with him

Do we really think 72 year old Rick is bringing in those displaced fans though? I'm a bit skeptical.
I think it's worth the risk if I'm AEW.

OLD school wrestling fans (mid 90s and earlier) might be turned off by AEW's presentation/style .

Attitude Era fans that went away might be a better target demo since AEW skews toward that time period when it comes to the goofy content.

That isn't to say there hasn't been goofy stuff in ALL promotions before the Attitude Era, but that Era OWNED the goofiness.
That isn't to say there hasn't been goofy stuff in ALL promotions before the Attitude Era, but that Era OWNED the goofiness.

I just wish Chakakhan would hire 1 person to tell all the talent to “slow down” right before the jerk the curtain..No other job duties..Just a simple, yet strong, “slow down” when their music hits..

aew loves them some former wrestler managers

darby allen n sting

arn anderson n cody

lance archer n jake roberts

andrade n chavo

ftr n tully blanchard

lax n konnan

bout to give flair to adam page 😂

Back
Top Bottom