Serious question, why do people feel the need for 'religion' or why does it even exists?

First, I'm not trying to mock religion or believers. 

I grew up in a religious home, I even went to catholic school as a kid.  I was a 'believer' until I would say my early 20's.  But I started asking myself questions about my faith and the bible - and here I am now.  I still believe that it's possible to have a omnipotent being who might have created everything around us. 

After reading history books, doing my own research about religions and how they came about - I came to a conclusion that we have no more need for religion. 
So what has religion and being a believer done for you?  Do you really believe that you would be less accomplished/successful if you didn't have Jesus? 
Just by looking at the previous wars and the violence that's happening the world right now.  Most of that is caused by religion. 
I know I can't be the only one who thinks that the world would be a better place with out it.

So I'm asking NT this question because...
1) I was ignored.
2) People look at me like I'm some kind of devil worshiper and i get the
indifferent.gif
for asking.

So...why do people feel the need for 'religion' or why does it even exists?

- No quote's from the bible or scriptures.
- I'm not trying to convert any one to be a non-believer.  You-do-you.  I'm just asking a question.

First, I'm not trying to mock religion or believers. 

I grew up in a religious home, I even went to catholic school as a kid.  I was a 'believer' until I would say my early 20's.  But I started asking myself questions about my faith and the bible - and here I am now.  I still believe that it's possible to have a omnipotent being who might have created everything around us. 

After reading history books, doing my own research about religions and how they came about - I came to a conclusion that we have no more need for religion. 
So what has religion and being a believer done for you?  Do you really believe that you would be less accomplished/successful if you didn't have Jesus? 
Just by looking at the previous wars and the violence that's happening the world right now.  Most of that is caused by religion. 
I know I can't be the only one who thinks that the world would be a better place with out it.

So I'm asking NT this question because...
1) I was ignored.
2) People look at me like I'm some kind of devil worshiper and i get the
indifferent.gif
for asking.

So...why do people feel the need for 'religion' or why does it even exists?

- No quote's from the bible or scriptures.
- I'm not trying to convert any one to be a non-believer.  You-do-you.  I'm just asking a question.

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

indoctrination/brainwashing from childhood
1 reason why.. people's mom and pops were probably  very religious and obviously they're gonna take their children under their wing.

Also because people who are living a horrible have nothing else to turn to.. except a god.

1 reason why.. people's mom and pops were probably  very religious and obviously they're gonna take their children under their wing.

Also because people who are living a horrible have nothing else to turn to.. except a god.

Originally Posted by Essential1

Fear of death/ Hope for times of despair

/Thread
Fear of death?  I don't understand that concept though.  Unless you fear death, because you have people or a family to care for and you feel that they would have a hell of a hard time living with out you.  And if you fear death because you are unsure whether or not you are going to make it into heaven.  But how do you even now you are good enough?  How do you know that the religion you are following is the right one?  How do you know, that the God you are worshiping the right God? 

I've heard Christians say that "You can't get into heaven, unless you are a born again Christian.  It's not too late to repent and convert yourself............" 

I actually heard this from Bible study.  I attended because I had nothing else better to do and they were discussing The Book of Revelation...I was interested because a friend told me that it's the scariest part of the Bible.

Originally Posted by Essential1

Fear of death/ Hope for times of despair

/Thread
Fear of death?  I don't understand that concept though.  Unless you fear death, because you have people or a family to care for and you feel that they would have a hell of a hard time living with out you.  And if you fear death because you are unsure whether or not you are going to make it into heaven.  But how do you even now you are good enough?  How do you know that the religion you are following is the right one?  How do you know, that the God you are worshiping the right God? 

I've heard Christians say that "You can't get into heaven, unless you are a born again Christian.  It's not too late to repent and convert yourself............" 

I actually heard this from Bible study.  I attended because I had nothing else better to do and they were discussing The Book of Revelation...I was interested because a friend told me that it's the scariest part of the Bible.

Originally Posted by Boi

Another concept I can't grasp.

If there was a God who created us.  Why didn't he create a world with out hate, poverty, hunger and evil. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm feel very fortunate and thankful (to my parents) - that I lived a good life as a kid and I was given enough to continue living a decent life after I moved out.   Look around you, there are third world countries, where its people can barely afford (find) water, food, shelter, so what made us better and to not suffer like that? 

Originally Posted by Boi

If there was a God who created us.  Why didn't he create a world with out hate, poverty, hunger and evil. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm feel very fortunate and thankful (to my parents) - that I lived a good life as a kid and I was given enough to continue living a decent life after I moved out.   Look around you, there are third world countries, where its people can barely afford (find) water, food, shelter, so what made us better and to not suffer like that? 

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

Originally Posted by Boi

Well there's your answer. People that truly have nothing left turn to God or religion because it is something intangible that has existed (in society) for so long that they believe in it.

If you understand the Bible (something I need to get around to doing more someday), there are answers for why evil exists. He didn't intend for evil to exist. The evil snake tempted Eve to bite the apple, and there was original sin. I think that's how it goes.

I don't practice any religion but I too grew up in a Catholic household/family. I'm still not sure whether or not I should believe in God but I don't take any offense to either point of view on religion. Turns out my aunt is one of the leading figures in the Daughters of Charity motherhouse.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

Originally Posted by Boi

Well there's your answer. People that truly have nothing left turn to God or religion because it is something intangible that has existed (in society) for so long that they believe in it.

If you understand the Bible (something I need to get around to doing more someday), there are answers for why evil exists. He didn't intend for evil to exist. The evil snake tempted Eve to bite the apple, and there was original sin. I think that's how it goes.

I don't practice any religion but I too grew up in a Catholic household/family. I'm still not sure whether or not I should believe in God but I don't take any offense to either point of view on religion. Turns out my aunt is one of the leading figures in the Daughters of Charity motherhouse.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

You're asking questions that cannot be answered.

When some people encounter such a question, they say "oh well", and move on. Others just credit it to God's will.

Religion answers all questions. It gives people hope, and it gives MANY people a carrot to chase. That's why it exists. It makes life that much easier.

You're asking questions that cannot be answered.

When some people encounter such a question, they say "oh well", and move on. Others just credit it to God's will.

Religion answers all questions. It gives people hope, and it gives MANY people a carrot to chase. That's why it exists. It makes life that much easier.

Religion exists for the purpose of uniting societies.  Religion exists because of the people in society that allow it to exist by having a collective consciousness.  It has to do with the difference between sacred and profane, for example, something cannot be considered sacred unless it has a collective following that believes its sacred.  Take holy water used in baptism for example, I am pretty sure it is just water that I could get out of my faucet, but because a large group of people believe it to be holy, it becomes sacred, and is more than just water. 
As for why people feel the need for 'religion' I could not tell you.

Religion exists for the purpose of uniting societies.  Religion exists because of the people in society that allow it to exist by having a collective consciousness.  It has to do with the difference between sacred and profane, for example, something cannot be considered sacred unless it has a collective following that believes its sacred.  Take holy water used in baptism for example, I am pretty sure it is just water that I could get out of my faucet, but because a large group of people believe it to be holy, it becomes sacred, and is more than just water. 
As for why people feel the need for 'religion' I could not tell you.

Back
Top Bottom