Since Jeremy Lin is doing so well, situational racism is OK.

It's different because Lin is an Asian American, unlike Yao. So Asian Americans can claim him as their own.

Originally Posted by Trav T

It's different because Lin is an Asian American, unlike Yao. So Asian Americans can claim him as their own.

I guess I dont get that one. I guess I would have to be in their shoes. 

I am just mad he never did this when he was on the Warriors.....granted I knew he wasn't getting any playing time.

Originally Posted by CrunchyBlack9

Its not cool by any means, but I work with a Chinese cat and a Vietnamese cat and they were both saying the whole Asian Mamba bit. Mind you i'm their supervisor. They thought I was being sour I guess b\c I wasnt reveling in their joy. When in reality I didnt feel comfortable b\c  its kind of like having a white friend thinking its ok to say the N-word
30t6p3b.gif
. I'm not trying to be that dude. Also, I dont get it. Was it like this when Yao Ming was ballin?
How?

If I'm amongst Asians making those kinda jokes I'll let them rock, their ppl, their understanding. I don't see how that's the same as white ppl talking about a black person and freely using the n-word. This isn't a behind your back situation.

If you're just uncomfortable with situation I can understand that but I'd hope you're just the type of person that doesn't engage yourself in that kind of humor.

grin.gif
Some people are going to be racist no matter what. Asians can never catch a break.  They don't take up much of the country, so people feel like they can get away with saying whatever they want to say. I don't get how the "Yellow Mamba" is racist btw? 

Originally Posted by Regis

Ima remember you dudes when you pull the race card for the slightest off hand comment.

Ol stereotypes are ok as long as it's about my big penis and great dancing abilities type dudes.

You're not even using "race card" in it's proper context.  Shows what you know.  This is merely a discussion about comments concerning Jeremy Lin that perpetuate Asian stereotypes.
I'm saying.. the hell is dude talking about? 

Originally Posted by PLVN

"Freedom of Speech" is a dying concept.

Hate Speech isn't a part of freedom of speech. The constitution does not support or protect that brand of speech. 
Understand the concept before you speak on it bruh, just sayn.

My opinion might come off as very Berkeley progressive for some of you, but I think that if an Asian is holding up a sign that says, "Yellow Mamba," then that shows how uneducated and stupid they are. It's great that you want to support a fellow Asian, but doing that is giving the impression that it is okay for Asians to be called "yellows." White people will be like, "Hey, Asians are referring to their own as this, so it must be okay!" That's pretty much as bad as holding up a sign that says, "Slant-eyed Mamba" or "$#!!!%$* Mamba." I am Asian, Filipino to be specific, but you don't see me going to a Pacquiao fight and holding up a sign that says, "Goo Goo Champion" or "Fighting Monkey Pride of the Philippines."
Oh we can color code white and black people but you can't color code Asian people?  That's racist.

Originally Posted by ItsGettinHot

My opinion might come off as very Berkeley progressive for some of you, but I think that if an Asian is holding up a sign that says, "Yellow Mamba," then that shows how uneducated and stupid they are. It's great that you want to support a fellow Asian, but doing that is giving the impression that it is okay for Asians to be called "yellows." White people will be like, "Hey, Asians are referring to their own as this, so it must be okay!" That's pretty much as bad as holding up a sign that says, "Slant-eyed Mamba" or "$#!!!%$* Mamba." I am Asian, Filipino to be specific, but you don't see me going to a Pacquiao fight and holding up a sign that says, "Goo Goo Champion" or "Fighting Monkey Pride of the Philippines."
Oh we can color code white and black people but you can't color code Asian people?  That's racist.
Jackie+Chan.jpg

But you're assuming, from a stereotype, that all Asian people are "yellow"
That's racist

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

Ima remember you dudes when you pull the race card for the slightest off hand comment.

Ol stereotypes are ok as long as it's about my big penis and great dancing abilities type dudes.

You're not even using "race card" in it's proper context.  Shows what you know.  This is merely a discussion about comments concerning Jeremy Lin that perpetuate Asian stereotypes.
I'm saying.. the hell is dude talking about? 
You mean this is not a thread about race?

Originally Posted by AyeDongsky

That's racist
*shrugs*
I am yellow so it doesn't bother me.  Jeremy Lin is also yellow if that helps.

Also white people tend to be more of a tan/peach color than actual white.  And black people are actually a brown color.

If anything, you should be more mad about that whole "mamba" business.  Jeremy Lin is clearly not a reptile.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Kinda ironic since Whitlock is usually one of the first guys to *%+$@ about racism when given the opportunity.  
every one seems to be like this,
that's why I give most racist jokes a pass, they're just jokes

like ghetto people (not racist, serious) that are always in other people's space, yelling, are always the first to whine about being disrespected 
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Its not cool by any means, but I work with a Chinese cat and a Vietnamese cat and they were both saying the whole Asian Mamba bit. Mind you i'm their supervisor. They thought I was being sour I guess b\c I wasnt reveling in their joy. When in reality I didnt feel comfortable b\c  its kind of like having a white friend thinking its ok to say the N-word
30t6p3b.gif
. I'm not trying to be that dude. Also, I dont get it. Was it like this when Yao Ming was ballin?
How?

If I'm amongst Asians making those kinda jokes I'll let them rock, their ppl, their understanding. I don't see how that's the same as white ppl talking about a black person and freely using the n-word. This isn't a behind your back situation.

If you're just uncomfortable with situation I can understand that but I'd hope you're just the type of person that doesn't engage yourself in that kind of humor.
I'm their supervisor first off so that makes indulging in those kind of joke a HR nightmare. Then the second thing is you never know how people take jokes in a racial context. The funny thing is that I have white friends that have said the N-word and I checked them quick. even though I knew they didnt mean it in a racial context, but my homie says it all the time and I go on with the conversation like its a family member. I guess i'm odd like. 

Its not considered racist because he isnt black. If he was black, this thread would be 15 pgs by now

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Kinda ironic since Whitlock is usually one of the first guys to *%+$@ about racism when given the opportunity.  

like ghetto people (not racist, serious) that are always in other people's space, yelling, are always the first to whine about being disrespected 
indifferent.gif

What people are you referring to?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

Its not considered racist because he isnt black. If he was black, this thread would be 15 pgs by now
And thats ALL there is to it.

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

indifferent.gif
What people are you referring to?
nerd.gif
rambunctious hypocrites
scouts honor

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

And thats ALL there is to it.
If Lin was black I don't see how it'd be racist of Whitlock saying his penis is small. It's just be pretty gay. Please extrapolate how it'd be racist.

I'm pretty sure OP is black. Maybe all the Asian posters in this thread should make it known that they're outraged over this. I mean really it's either racist or you're saying only black speak up when something racist is said about them. The only problem with the tweet was who tweeted it and it being unprofessional of that person. Not that it was racist or wasn't funny so therefore it's racist.

If this was a NTer who said that you all would've laughed on twitter and kept it moving and there wouldn't even be a thread. All the damn signs you're crying about were held up by Asian ppl celebrating Lin. So you're either saying they weren't and were actually mocking him or they're self hating Asians or are you saying the non Asians laughing at the signs and jokes are racist?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by AyeDongsky

That's racist
Are all black ppl black? If you want to be technical.

I don't condone any of it, but it could be worse.

If all you have to worry about is karate bows, small penis, driving jokes, broken English, and jokes about not getting a higher score (obviously referring to higher intelligence and expectation in education), then I'd say that's pretty good.

I'm not trying to start anything, but at least no one is throwing banana's while scratching their armpits and making chimp noises. People are complaining about stereotypes that are less damaging, and some of them actually flatter the ethnicity involved.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

30t6p3b.gif
How?

I'm their supervisor first off so that makes indulging in those kind of joke a HR nightmare. Then the second thing is you never know how people take jokes in a racial context. The funny thing is that I have white friends that have said the N-word and I checked them quick. even though I knew they didnt mean it in a racial context, but my homie says it all the time and I go on with the conversation like its a family member. I guess i'm odd like.
You aint have to make jokes. Just smile and nod and go back to work. Maybe a chuckle. I can understand from a job perspective you want to stay away from the situation so to avoid being uncomfortable you probably should've walked away but you didn't have to show any signs of disapproval. Aint like they said "That #%#!$ was droppin buckets"

I'm not Asian but I don't see how them saying Asian Mamba is offensive. I dunno, maybe some actual Asian ppl can speak on that experience but to me it's not like white ppl saying the n-word. Also how would you look trying to check Asian ppl on saying Asian epithets?
laugh.gif

No offense, but a lot of the responses in here show how uneducated and ill informed certain people are. Ironically, they have the strongest opinions. I'm not gonna respond to any trolling.

30t6p3b.gif

...What? How did you come to that comparison?

Back
Top Bottom