Since Jeremy Lin is doing so well, situational racism is OK.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by cw0974

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

its funny reading some of these comments...

Asians are looked by other minorities as not real minorities...yet for all ive seen and experienced generally speaking..white america would never truly accept them as equals. so they're in some weird social niche
i always thought about it like this too. good point. 

well because unlike other minoritties most assimilate themselves and emerge themselves in white culture... i had a report and asked fellow mongloid nt's what is asian american culture and outside of saying stuff like nintendo/pokemon etc which i stated isnt a culture and more of inventions btw arent even from america have no identity. so subconciously ppl see them as such. i mean even with certain nationalities and race you have and identity that seperates them from their root race/origins. its the same as how some black ppl dont $%@. themselves with their race and emerge solely in the white culture. its just well to be honest every asian i met culture background makeup is borrowed from someone else.
eek.gif

laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

I hope you have your flame suit on.  I can't even comment.
30t6p3b.gif

Basketball is an international game and globally, asians are a majority. So its about damn time they got someone that ppl would pay to watch in the NBA besides yao. And for sure the NBA will and should hype this up to appeal to the largest demographic on the planet. They'd be pretty dumb not to.

Originally Posted by MonStar1

Originally Posted by LDJ

well because unlike other minoritties most assimilate themselves and emerge themselves in white culture... i had a report and asked fellow mongloid nt's what is asian american culture and outside of saying stuff like nintendo/pokemon etc which i stated isnt a culture and more of inventions btw arent even from america have no identity. so subconciously ppl see them as such. i mean even with certain nationalities and race you have and identity that seperates them from their root race/origins. its the same as how some black ppl dont $%@. themselves with their race and emerge solely in the white culture. its just well to be honest every asian i met culture background makeup is borrowed from someone else.
eek.gif

laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

I hope you have your flame suit on.  I can't even comment.
30t6p3b.gif

well here we are almost 10 yrs later and still no answer.... so like example the hip hop culture isnt from africa... soul food isnt from africa.... even certain mannerisms/style is diff. i remember some folks even mentioning break dancing/fast and furious scene etc,,, and im like again came from another culture.....some said they eat og asian food etc, again from homeland noy a culture/thing started by folks from here.

so again while i may not agree it still holds truth... come to america change name into common white name by choice. base identity on whats demographically popular in your area...

Originally Posted by LDJ

its funny reading some of these comments...

Asians are looked by other minorities as not real minorities...yet for all ive seen and experienced generally speaking..white america would never truly accept them as equals. so they're in some weird social niche

it's because you're asking a flawed question.

Asian is comprised of so many countries with so many varying cultures..  South East Asian countries such as Laos, Vietnam, Thailand, are wholly different from East Asian countries, like Korea, Japan, Philippines(yes, I went there)....hell even Northern China is vastly different from Southern China. 

You say they completely assimilate, but just take a look at the small pockets of Asian communities, Chinatown, Koreatown.  That's completely antithetical to what you're claiming.  

Please don't mistake some of the Japanese youth's penchant for adopting new identities and cultures for that of the entire Asian population.

In essence you can't really compare black american culture to anything else.  Why? b/c most Black culture IS part of Americana. I look at it as this...slaves were stripped of their identity when they were brought over. So they were forced to create their own unique identity salvaging whatever they could from their culture and at the same time creating their own borrowing parts from where they landed.

I think Asian youths..and other ethnic minorities with ties to their culture will always struggle to keep a part of their culture's identity...while at the same time assimilating into American society...and will always find it hard to keep a balance.  Some will completely assimilate, some will completely immerse themselves..and some will find a happy medium.  There will always be a spectrum.

Asian is comprised of so many countries with so many varying cultures..  South East Asian countries such as Laos, Vietnam, Thailand, are wholly different from East Asian countries, like Korea, Japan, Philippines(yes, I went there)....hell even Northern China is vastly different from Southern China.
curious, why don't you group the philippines in southeast asia?

Dirtylicious wrote:
LDJ wrote:
cw0974 wrote:

it's because you're asking a flawed question.

You say they completely assimilate, but just take a look at the small pockets of Asian communities, Chinatown, Koreatown.  That's completely antithetical to what you're claiming.  

Please don't mistake some of the Japanese youth's penchant for adopting new identities and cultures for that of the entire Asian population.

In essence you can't really compare black american culture to anything else.  Why? b/c most Black culture IS part of Americana. I look at it as this...slaves were stripped of their identity when they were brought over. So they were forced to create their own unique identity salvaging whatever they could from their culture and at the same time creating their own borrowing parts from where they landed.

I think Asian youths..and other ethnic minorities with ties to their culture will always struggle to keep a part of their culture's identity...while at the same time assimilating into American society...and will always find it hard to keep a balance.  Some will completely assimilate, some will completely immerse themselves..and some will find a happy medium.  There will always be a spectrum.

Asian is comprised of so many countries with so many varying cultures..
so is africa and so is europe so one in the same...

I look at it as this...slaves were stripped of their identity when they were brought over.
true but most spanish speakng ppl werent but yet have....

Some will completely assimilate, some will completely immerse themselves..and some will find a happy medium. There will always be a spectrum.
true and thats what i said although id argue some with most...

but it still doesnt address/speak on the identity etc that they have created on their own in the states. thus was my point in which goes with all races... nationalities.. a mexican who can pass and emerge in white culture is looked at a certain way... same with black, same with asian...

Asian is comprised of so many countries with so many varying cultures.. South East Asian countries such as Laos, Vietnam, Thailand, are wholly different from East Asian countries, like Korea, Japan, Philippines(yes, I went there)....hell even Northern China is vastly different from Southern China.

it be different if there was ok a spectrum related to difference in this country... but again there is not. its basically my family og came from a different country etc... so because of this im going to act as if im an entirely different race of person.. its ok my family og came from japan, yours og came from korea, we both emerged and based our lives on the white culture... so in essence on of the same but we are different because of where physically our ancestors came from as if physicality has anything to do with race.

""""you'd have to believe Whitlock would have been let go from his position at AOL or wherever he works.  There would have been advocacy groups up this guy's @#% for what he said.  """"

man you have got to be kidding me. There is so much that has been said on OBAMA alone that has led to nothing but higher ratings for the networks. 

Originally Posted by devildog1776

I smashed too many asian !!#@!# to ever have a oz of prejudice in me. Im getting my Lin authentic as soon as I can... not because of the hype, 
So many things wrong with this post.
You started off with good intentions but then it went down hill.

devildog1776 wrote:
I find it disgusting that people are really hating on Lin because he's Asian... After he beat Deron Williams and Co, i posted on FB to watch out for Lin cause he got game.. One of my boys said he cant rock with lin because he's Asian lol... He really put lol in the statement like that was suppose to make me laugh...

I smashed too many asian !!#@!# to ever have a oz of prejudice in me. Im getting my Lin authentic as soon as I can... not because of the hype, because he plays my favorite position (pause) in my hometown and is doing a damn good job at it.. I been wanting to get a Melo jersey but he hasnt earned my purchase...

you try too hard b.

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

I had to google this dude and I found this.... 
laugh.gif

He sure loves Asian girls

jason-whitlock12.jpg

if we talking about shorty on the right then i love asian girls too
laugh.gif
devil.gif

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

Big J 33 wrote:

So now ksteezy is an expert on the Knicks?
laugh.gif

Melo and Stat got attention because they're big names/superstars. When Amare was stringing together great games last season, the team was getting a lot of national attention.. but NOTHING like this.

The attention for Lin and the Knicks isn't just one thing, it's a combination of him being a surprise undrafted player from Harvard, his personal story of being cut, sleeping on a couch, then almost being cut again and finally leading the Knicks with unexpected performances, AND because he's an Asian-American. In a league where Asian-Americans or Asians are virtually non-existent, that adds another element to the story and news coverage. You can't separate it out of the story, he's brought in a fanbase that wouldn't be there unless he was Asian-American.

Basically.

/thread, i couldn't have said it better myself
applause2.gif

asians are a minority no question, and to view them otherwise is irrational. all minorities have social and economic struggles to face as they live in this american society today. however it is also true that some minority groups, more so than others, are targeted more frequently and aggressively, than others.

...i think the saddest thing about all of this is that white americans forget that this country was based entirely on immigrants. so the discrimination and aggressive actions and legislation today is so out of line its appalling. but i digress. just because Lin is asian american is not the main reason for his fame.

and black players get their shine, 82% of the NBA is black, so anyone cosigning mayweather needs to st/fu.

Originally Posted by sreggie101

laugh.gif

jason-whitlock12.jpg

laugh.gif
devil.gif

Big J 33 wrote:

So now ksteezy is an expert on the Knicks?
laugh.gif

Melo and Stat got attention because they're big names/superstars. When Amare was stringing together great games last season, the team was getting a lot of national attention.. but NOTHING like this.

The attention for Lin and the Knicks isn't just one thing, it's a combination of him being a surprise undrafted player from Harvard, his personal story of being cut, sleeping on a couch, then almost being cut again and finally leading the Knicks with unexpected performances, AND because he's an Asian-American. In a league where Asian-Americans or Asians are virtually non-existent, that adds another element to the story and news coverage. You can't separate it out of the story, he's brought in a fanbase that wouldn't be there unless he was Asian-American.

Basically.

applause2.gif

asians are a minority no question, and to view them otherwise is irrational. all minorities have social and economic struggles to face as they live in this american society today. however it is also true that some minority groups, more so than others, are targeted more frequently and aggressively, than others.

...i think the saddest thing about all of this is that white americans forget that this country was based entirely on immigrants. so the discrimination and aggressive actions and legislation today is so out of line its appalling. but i digress. just because Lin is asian american is not the main reason for his fame.

and black players get their shine, 82% of the NBA is black, so anyone cosigning mayweather needs to st/fu.

but do they all get shine no....... and mayweather has more then proven himself... we wasnt saying he is ali and still dont say compare him to a great mike, etc and he is established. lin um.... what has he established proven again. last i check may was top undefeated of his field and lin......

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by sreggie101

laugh.gif

jason-whitlock12.jpg

laugh.gif
devil.gif

Basically.

applause2.gif

but do they all get shine no....... and mayweather has more then proven himself... we wasnt saying he is ali and still dont say compare him to a great mike, etc and he is established. lin um.... what has he established proven again. last i check may was top undefeated of his field and lin......
can you speak english like a decent human being, wth are you saying?

Originally Posted by CDUNK

That Jason Whitlock tweet is just ignorance at its best.  

Him being Asian definitely has helped the hype; I've got friends (both Asian and non-Asian) tuning into Knicks games just because they haven't seen an Asian guy do what he's doing. 

Everything that comes out of his mouth is ignorant. 

Originally Posted by Elpablo21

That ESPN mobile headline "%%$%$ in the Armor" can't be real....right?
It was real and they crossed the line.  somebody deserves to lose their job for that.  I'm black and it hurt me.  c'mon man thats downright disgusting right there.

I urge people to tweet espn and email them over this.  Stand up and don't let them say "sorry" and keep it moving.  

Originally Posted by frink85

Originally Posted by wwsindicate

Only if it's funny.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
� "taking opponents to the cleaners" is the best one

Heart-Attacks.jpg

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
that cleaners one had me. that espn dude was OD tho, i saw that yesterday and i was like 'did dis n really just did dis?'
30t6p3b.gif
it was too blatant.

Originally Posted by MonStar1

Originally Posted by Elpablo21

That ESPN mobile headline "%%$%$ in the Armor" can't be real....right?
It was real and they crossed the line.  somebody deserves to lose their job for that.  I'm black and it hurt me.  c'mon man thats downright disgusting right there.

I urge people to tweet espn and email them over this.  Stand up and don't let them say "sorry" and keep it moving.  

This.
That really caught me off guard this morning. Felt just like seeing the "N Word" in a major news headline.

Inexcusable. People really need to take a stand on this one. 

j67gcj.jpg

Greg McNeal, Contributor
WASHINGTON | 2/18/2012 @ 11:14AM |527 views
ESPN Uses "%*$*+ in the Armor" Line Twice-- Did Linsanity Just Go Racist?
Linsanity just jumped the shark with the ESPN mobile website using the headline a “%*$*+ in the Armorâ€

Back
Top Bottom